Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Starting to look at a dedicated can for an AR-15. I already have (2) Nomad 30, one an original that I swap between AR-10 and AR-15 with Xeno mounts and the other a Ti that I direct thread with my hunting bolt guns. Looking for something a little lighter and compact for an AR-15.

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I chose less back pressure over less weight. Something to think about with an AR-15. I have a Huxwrx Flow 556K in jail now. I shot one on an 11.5" SBR and was sold. https://huxwrx.com/flow-556k

However Witt Machine makes the most compact and lightest can I looked at, though it wasn't as quiet as others. https://wittmachine.net/product/canooter-valve/

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TWR
I chose less back pressure over less weight. Something to think about with an AR-15. I have a Huxwrx Flow 556K in jail now. /

Just a question from someone who's still learning. Does the backpressure really matter if you have an adjustable gas block?

I'm now thinking of just sticking with the Nomad Ti 30 that I currently use on the bolt guns. I'll just direct thread to the AR-15, like I do with the bolt guns. It's not like I swap frequently.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m new to these myself but an adjustable gas block would let you control the gas and adding a good charging handle that diverts it out of your face would be advisable too.

I just prefer non adjustable gas blocks and my SBR has a fixed front sight base anyway. I plan to use this one on a number of AR’s and don’t want to have to mess with setting them up to run with a suppressor and then without.

The things I wanted in a suppressor was hearing safe, light weight, rugged, minimal flash and minimal zero shift. None of them are going to be hearing safe with a full day of shooting. At around 12 oz, the Huxwrx flow is not the lightest but nowhere near the heaviest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by TWR
I chose less back pressure over less weight. Something to think about with an AR-15. I have a Huxwrx Flow 556K in jail now. /

Just a question from someone who's still learning. Does the backpressure really matter if you have an adjustable gas block?

I'm now thinking of just sticking with the Nomad Ti 30 that I currently use on the bolt guns. I'll just direct thread to the AR-15, like I do with the bolt guns. It's not like I swap frequently.

Most of the blowback gases come through the barrel after the bolt unlocks and starts to extract the case.

An adjustable gas block can slow that down and reduce port crack but a high back pressure can is going to still have lots of blowback.

As you already have the Nomad mount it up and see if it works for you.

It's not going to be small and light.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m new to these myself but an adjustable gas block would let you control the gas and adding a good charging handle that diverts it out of your face would be advisable too.

I just prefer non adjustable gas blocks and my SBR has a fixed front sight base anyway. I plan to use this one on a number of AR’s and don’t want to have to mess with setting them up to run with a suppressor and then without.

I highly suggest you try an adjustable gas block. I put one on my AR-.308 and between tuning the gas block and the recoil reduction of the suppressor, the recoil is greatly reduced. For me, this means faster follow-up shots when I come across a sounder of hogs. Probably not an issue with an AR-15, but it also minimizes the hammering of the BCG from being overgassed.

Last edited by gsganzer; 01/31/23.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m hoping the flow through technology will kill the adjustable gas block market, as far as cans go anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m hoping the flow through technology will kill the adjustable gas block market, as far as cans go anyway.

Why would you want to "kill" any market that provides a useful product for some situations?

There are a schiet ton of cans in the world and for some setups an adjustable GB makes sense.

Enjoy your extra heavy flow through.

Quit hoping things you don't like will be killed you sour whiner.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/31/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Things change as time rolls on and if the new flow through design being used by several companies eliminates the need for older things then so be it.

Bye…

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
It seems everything has trade-offs between sound reduction, weight and back pressure. It's starting to look like my Nomad 30 Ti that I use on my bolt guns might also be the sweet spot for my AR-15. I screwed it on yesterday and it was perfect for length and balance. I hunt, not mag dump at a target 15 yards away, so a titanium can is perfect.

It's funny how they keep rolling out new designs that become the "got to have" of the moment. I bought my original Nomad 30 stainless can a couple years ago, before the titanium model came out. Of course, as soon as the titanium model came out, I bought that. Only to have them roll out the Nomad 30 LTi (long can titanium) a short time later. The lighter weight of the titanium can is very nice to keep the weight and balance of a bolt gun acceptable for carrying when stalking.

Right now my POF Revolution AR-308 sports the Nomad 30 stainless with e-brake and xeno mount and it's been a great setup. Because a bare POF starts out at 6.8 lbs, the weight of a stainless can is acceptable. Having the gas block dialed in and the ebrake, makes the AR-308 a quick shooter. I'm real happy with it.

If I was to do it all over again today, I'd buy both a Nomad 30 Ti and a Nomad 30 LTi. I don't shoot anything larger than .30 cal anyway, other than a Marlin JM 1894 stainless .44mag and there's no way I'm threading that barrel.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gsganzer
It seems everything has trade-offs between sound reduction, weight and back pressure. It's starting to look like my Nomad 30 Ti that I use on my bolt guns might also be the sweet spot for my AR-15. I screwed it on yesterday and it was perfect for length and balance. I hunt, not mag dump at a target 15 yards away, so a titanium can is perfect.

It's funny how they keep rolling out new designs that become the "got to have" of the moment. I bought my original Nomad 30 stainless can a couple years ago, before the titanium model came out. Of course, as soon as the titanium model came out, I bought that. Only to have them roll out the Nomad 30 LTi (long can titanium) a short time later. The lighter weight of the titanium can is very nice to keep the weight and balance of a bolt gun acceptable for carrying when stalking.

Right now my POF Revolution AR-308 sports the Nomad 30 stainless with e-brake and xeno mount and it's been a great setup. Because a bare POF starts out at 6.8 lbs, the weight of a stainless can is acceptable. Having the gas block dialed in and the ebrake, makes the AR-308 a quick shooter. I'm real happy with it.

If I was to do it all over again today, I'd buy both a Nomad 30 Ti and a Nomad 30 LTi. I don't shoot anything larger than .30 cal anyway, other than a Marlin JM 1894 stainless .44mag and there's no way I'm threading that barrel.

All very true. I just looked at the new 3D printed design that was designed to deal with blow back. It weighs less than most, is shorter than most and the report did not bother my ears when I was shooting it or standing on either side of it when someone else was shooting it. I even shot the gun left handed to see if I got gas to the face, I did not. I'm quite sure that by the time mine gets out of jail, there will be something new and improved. That's okay, I'm still leaps and bounds ahead of my old GemTech 22 can but even it still works.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Things change as time rolls on and if the new flow through design being used by several companies eliminates the need for older things then so be it.

Bye…
it would be great if some older things just go away for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.