Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Anyone with experience with the FN hi power?
Anyone with experience with Detroit 8v71 injector timing?
Oh, maybe I should start a new thread...

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Anyone with experience with the FN hi power?

Three of my four Hi Powers were Browning marked, FN made, P-35s, one was a Hungarian copy (FEG PJK-9HP) which my gunsmith said had better metal than FN's pistols. FN parts worked just fine in the FEG, though, when I replaced a safety with an extended one, and an extractor that broke when I was fooling with the .41AE cartridge.

That does NOT include the newest FN pistol they call the Hi Power, it's a distinctly different pistol. Closer in size to a 1911, it sure doesn't have the slim lines of the older design.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 02/16/23.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After owning it for almost a month I finally took my new SA-35 to the range a couple of days ago with 100 rounds of 115 gr. Winch. white box so this is sort of a first 100 round review.

I didn't mess around with shooting it off bags for groups, as soon as I got out of the truck I started right in shooting at the 12" 25 yd. steel gongs and when I did my part I was hitting them consistently.....holding center gong it was hitting a little low and left but that was more than likely me but if not I can adjust the windage on my next range trip.

No malfunctions whatsoever and so far I like the gun.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I ended up buying one like EdM's Girsan HP, and it works like a champ, zero issues with no jams. The only "issue" is one that other users have noted already, the fiber optic light tube works itself out, after a couple hundred rounds. I knew about that, and was watching for it, and it never escaped it's cage.

My pistol seemed to shoot better the more I shot it, but it's been 20+ years since I last owned a HP, so it might be me. However, once I got warmed up, it seemed to shoot 115s better than heavier bullets. I had some 124s I couldn't get shooting to my own satisfaction, but then, I shot some 147s and it liked them almost as well as the 115s.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until warmer weather to really figure it out, but no hiccups of any kind, and the long beavertail is REALLY nice, absolutely no way you can get hammer-bitten by this one. It's one heckuva little pistol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
How are the Girsan 35 clones?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whaddya think I was typing about in my post? MC-P35 Match, the only thing "bad" about the basic models, (besides the mag safety) is the shallow front sight, which can reflect the sun badly in some conditions. They can also be biters without the nice beavertail on the Match and Match OPS guns. Other than that, they are decent pistols, with probably better steel than FN ever used in theirs. I've heard exactly the same thing about the FEG (Hungarian clones), when I had one fitted with better sights.
Since the smith that told me that was a metallurgist, I have no reason not to believe him.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry rats my mind was on the springfields earlier in the thread...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a MkIII with no disconnect and a no-bite hammer. I bought an SA35 and I like my MkIII better. The SA35 hammer still bites. The trigger on the SA35 kind of sucked. The finish did not appear to be very durable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 30 years ago I had a Belgium made assembled in Portugal Hi Power tricked out by a Arizona gun smith Don Williams. Novak sights, stippling on front and rear of grip, beaver tail tang welded on, trigger job after disconnecting the wretched magazine safety, Cylinder & Slide mag release and a beautiful set of cocobolo grips from Craig Spegal.

It is a good shooting pistol that goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.