Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
How come you fellas don’t build some nice warm stands? If built right, you can put one up in a few minutes, guy wire it off, be snug as a bug when it freezing, raining, etc. Raise them and lower with a winch, tractor, hoist.? I have stands 20 years old, metal platforms 30 to 40 years old.

Last edited by hanco; 01/30/23.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
How come you fellas don’t build some nice warm stands? If built right, you can put one up in a few minutes, guy wire it off, be snug as a bug when it freezing, raining, etc. Raise them and lower with a winch, tractor, hoist.? I have stands 20 years old, metal platforms 30 to 40 years old.

on my land by the Canadian border i have 5 enclosed stands with heat 2 of those stands are the green type commercial stands ,no more opens stands for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just before daylight on my #1 stand

Another view

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pete53

on my land by the Canadian border i have 5 enclosed stands with heat 2 of those stands are the green type commercial stands ,no more opens stands for me.

I feel claustrophobic in box blinds. Like I'm not really out hunting.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

That's cheating. laugh

Personally, I like to be exposed to the deer. It makes it more challenging when they can see you and smell you. If the weather is too brutal, I just won't go. But typically, it's not very bad if I wear my rain suit or pile on the cloths if it's really cold. For years I used to use a climber, but now on the farm that I hunt, they let me put up 3 ladder stands.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
As I’ve gotten older I can’t take the cold, plus I sometimes stay all day. I like to be comfortable and warm, although this is Texas, hardly gets into the twenties down here. I like to be dry too. I’m gonna make a 4 foot metal platform for this stand before next season. I have a 6 and 3 year old grandsons that want to go. I can’t see getting them up in my other stands that have 15’ platforms. This stand has foam insulation on the inside and glass windows like my other two. It has a metal roof that I haven’t put on yet. I’ll have to take roof off when I pull it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by pete53
want to come to Northern Minnesota and hunt deer with me ? my age is 69 years old and stay with me in my cabin ? and we need to discuss a pig and sheep hunt with you ?

Thank you, but we have a no guest rule except family on that lease

I would pay a goodly sum to help make this happen.

What’s it gonna take to make this happen?
Make this work! 😀

WWP53D
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If anyone knows of a lease available in Texas preferably the hill county PM me please. We lost ours after last deer season. My granddaughter will be 5 in April and I really need to find one for the upcoming year to take her hunting for the first time. Thanks

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

That's cheating. laugh

Personally, I like to be exposed to the deer. It makes it more challenging when they can see you and smell you. If the weather is too brutal, I just won't go. But typically, it's not very bad if I wear my rain suit or pile on the cloths if it's really cold. For years I used to use a climber, but now on the farm that I hunt, they let me put up 3 ladder stands.

I hunted from open ladder stands, strap on stands, and climbers for 50years. I still use 2 ladder stands, But I must admit now that I am 65 years old I really like hunting out of a box blind. They are warm, dry, and comfortable, and they are great for taking the grandkids. They are 7 and 9 years old and can get antsy after being in the blind for a couple of hours. But they are learning fast.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

That's cheating. laugh

I hunted from open ladder stands, strap on stands, and climbers for 50years. I still use 2 ladder stands, But I must admit now that I am 65 years old I really like hunting out of a box blind. They are warm, dry, and comfortable, and they are great for taking the grandkids. They are 7 and 9 years old and can get antsy after being in the blind for a couple of hours. But they are learning fast.

My son had a game boy, kept him busy. Granddaughter had coloring books, markers to decorate my stands. Her pictures are still there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "False Road Stand" looking north over a creek:

The "Cook's Stand" nearest the camp looking east with my 6.5x55 Swede:

A panoramic view of three shooting lanes from "The Tower" looking west:

My hunting buddies doing some spring field work in front of "The Condo" looking south:

Last edited by odonata; 01/31/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First off, let me give you a peek at what it's like from my Opening Day Stand, Campground.
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Next, let me invite you to the weblog for a view of all our hunting venues:

Hunting Venues

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
View from tree saddle. What you see is all public and population densities suck. But there’s a deer of a lifetime somewhere in all that ground….

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I need to take more and better pictures when I hunt. Hell my old man nook this one.

Effing cows

The occasional deer

I get bored in the blind so I go elsewhere.

This little guy would pretty much come sit in my lap every time I went and rattled last year.

Love coming in or out in the dark. Loved it even more before they started putting the damn windmills everywhere.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by afisher
View from tree saddle. What you see is all public and population densities suck. But there’s a deer of a lifetime somewhere in all that ground….
Some beautiful country there! It reminds me of the Adirondacks, without all of the nasty weather. It’s definitely on my to do list of places I want to hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hanco this is a great thread!

J
J
I have to agree with PintsofCraft, great thread, and nice pictures.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like looking at the pictures. Like others have said it’s good to look at other parts of the country. I can’t figure out how to post a picture.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,814
Posts18,477,637
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.