Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CBS News

California sinkhole swallows third car in 2 weeks

A massive sinkhole that has completely split a road a two-lane road in San Joaquin, California, has now swallowed three separate vehicles despite the hole being clearly marked, authorities say.

The sinkhole broke out earlier this month when the California Highway Patrol said that a compromised retention pond caused the road to erode. Video from Jan. 17 shows water seeping through the roadway and clearing out the material from underneath the pavement.

But just hours after the highway patrol posted about the unsafe conditions and placed "road closed" and "flooded" signs nearby, a car drove right through the flooded area on Kasson Road. Photos of the initial incident show the car lopsided as it started to fall through the road.

The next day, the road totally collapsed, officials said on Facebook, saying that people should not attempt to drive around placed barricades and warning that the site will see a "long term closure."

Despite the continuous warnings of the closure and the massive hole in the roadway that is about a car length wide, a second vehicle ended up in the collapsed roadway about a week later.

"THIS CAN'T BE REAL!" California Highway Patrol wrote on Facebook with photos of the incident. "We're at a loss for words. If only there were signs and/or barriers that could have prevented this."

And even the law enforcement agency was seemingly surprised when on Saturday, "it happened again," despite the concrete barriers that had been put up since the initial collapse.

This time, a four-door pickup truck ended up in the hole with its front end entirely crushed and its airbags deployed. Police said that the driver of this vehicle was issued a citation for the incident.

"We can't make this stuff up," the highway patrol said. "This was 100 percent preventable. There is no excuse. The signs are clear, visible, and unobstructed."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Because going around safety barriers is a Cali only thing. Gun club I frequent is just down the road from that blowout.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in EP, I once watched as a POS vehicle drove around concrete barriers and into a huge hole the city had dug into the roadway that was about 4' deep. One of our friends from S. of the border with messikan plates. I laughed and drove on.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I once watched a brand-new white Cadillac go around our barricades, to be the first driver on the new asphalt.
Rollers hadn't even been on it yet, and when he hit the fresh oil - his car wasn't white anymore.

Drivers think signs and flagmen are for others.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Drivers think signs and flagmen are for others.

Just like laws and regulations don't apply to politicians. smirk

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So far it's only been 2 idiots that have done this. Here is the second one. I would love to hear him explain this to his insurance company.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They need to pass a new law in CA taking away everyone's keys for their safety, you know kinda like they want to do every time some dumb butt shoots people, they want to take away everyone else guns, for their safety....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
These people should be charged with “Aggravated Stupidity” with 6 months service putting up barricades and road closure signs for the highway department! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/01/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just wait until Newscum loses an armored car with our tax bail out money in it...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
For everyone's safety, a new law removing everyone's keys needs to be passed, just like they want to do every time some moron shoots someone and take away their firearms.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in Arizona there are BIG signs warning of gullies ahead, "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED" yet ever year a few die and many others get their cars swamped and stranded in the middle of the river.

In Wyoming, roads get closed frequently in the winter due to snow and blowing snow, people drive right around the barriers and wind up having to be rescued, for which they have to pay plus pay a stiff fine.

There is no cure for stupid.

Last edited by jnyork; 02/01/23.

[Linked Image]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jnyork

Sure there is - Darwinism

Last edited by las; 02/01/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jnyork
Here in Arizona there are BIG signs warning of gullies ahead, "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED" yet ever year a few die and many others get their cars swamped and stranded in the middle of the river.

In Wyoming, roads get closed frequently in the winter due to snow and blowing snow, people drive right around the barriers and wind up having to be rescued, for which they have to pay plus pay a stiff fine.

In Arizona we also have the "stupid motorist" law. If you are at fault and need rescue you pay the entire cost of the rescue. When a helicopter gets involved it can get very expensive.
You guys would be surprised at the number of people that think climbing or hiking up a mountain in 115 degree temps is a fine idea.
A few years ago three guys from Utah decided to go prospecting in the Superstition Mountains in July. They found their remains in September.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.