R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago.
I got serious about my health.
Lost 70 lbs in about 6 months on a new low carb lifestyle.
A1c went from the mid 8s to 5.
Doctor is astonished.
Says I'm in remission.

Congratulations.

How low did you have to cut carbs in order to accomplish this? To the keto level or just say less than X number of grams per day?

Last edited by RJY66; 02/02/23.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago.
I got serious about my health.
Lost 70 lbs in about 6 months on a new low carb lifestyle.
A1c went from the mid 8s to 5.
Doctor is astonished.
Says I'm in remission.

Congratulations.

How low did you have to cut carbs in order to accomplish this? To the keto level or just say less than X number of grams per day?

By the 3rd week I think I was in Ketosis.
I stayed under the recommended 50 carbs a day.
I could see the weight falling off daily.
It takes a lot of willpower to live this way.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/diet-reviews/ketogenic-diet/#:~:text=The%20ketogenic%20diet%20typically%20reduces,as%2020%20grams%20a%20day.

Proud NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I was pre-diabetic for years. Ate myself into full blown diabetes in the last two years. My doctor read me the riot act and I changed my eating. In 3 months I lost 30 pounds, my A1C went from 9.2 to 5.7. I stopped eating all processed foods, breads, pastas and regular beer. I was always an excerciser so that didn't change. I was on Januvia for those 3 months but I don't need it any longer. Diabetes will kill you if you don't turn it around. The earlier you make changes the more success you'll have. Catching it within the first few years is key.

Last edited by WarAdmiral; 02/02/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pops has the beetus. He’s 89, at this point he doesn’t really watch his diet.

Better eating and exercise in his 60’s and 70’s would likely have made the last years more enjoyable for him though.

A buddy ended up eating himself into the beetus at 40. Fat bastard.
He immediately changed his diet and started lifting and exercising. Ended up dropping 100+ pounds and no more beetus.

Choices. Some have them and some don’t.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Type 2 is reversable. Most doctors won't even inform their patients because they are trained to prescribe meds. They don't talk about it just liike they don't talk about diet and lifestyle issues that will cure most of their patients' health issues. It's up to you to inform yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Everyone should eat like they have Type 2 Diabetes because keep consuming lots of carbs and sugar and sooner or later you'll probably have Type 2 Diabetes. Totally preventable if you eat properly and exercise.

Sugar is the devil.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 02/02/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Everyone should eat like they have Type 2 Diabetes because keep consuming lots of carbs and sugar and sooner or later you'll probably have Type 2 Diabetes. Totally preventable if you eat properly and exercise.

Sugar is the devil.

Sugar is also the most socially acceptable and detrimental drug in the US. I didn't know until I quit all sugar for 2 years. Sugar is scientifically proven to be 8 times more addictive than Cocaine. It stimulates the same pleasure centers as Cocaine under brain scans. You likely won't quit unless you treat it as a highly addictive dangerous drug. Who ever quit an addictive drug by telling themselves that a little bit was, OK?

I liken the difficulty of quitting sugar to being addicted to Cocaine with a line available at every convivence store for a dollar.

Processed foods are just about as bad since they are absorbed so quickly that insulin is released at the same levels as sugar. In the body a bowl of corn flakes causes the same reactions as a bowl of sugar.

Last edited by RHClark; 02/02/23.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Replace sugar and carbs with healthy fats (olive and avo oils, nuts especially almonds, fish oil, beef, eggs, Greek Yogurt, cheese, etc) and you can quickly reverse insulin resistance. Within 30 days of a carb/sugar cleanse you will transform insulin response including no inflammation issues, no joint pain, normal blood pressure, high HDL and low LDL, and low BMI.

Beats the hell out of taking a fist full of drugs multiple times a day, constantly monitoring blood sugar, and feeling like crap all day long.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 02/02/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found the type 2 back in 2008. Took the pills for the next ten years and kept it under control. Then as I got older it got out of control. Living on gabapentin for the neuropathy in my feet(foot) for the last eleven years,
Finally the neuropathy caused a condition in my left foot called Charco Foot where the bones soften up and maybe break and shift around causing swelling and a whole lotta pain.

Watched a video of the surgery to fix it and uh-uh. Not going to do that so they chopped it off last August. Been rolling around the house in a chair since then.

So now due to the beetus, the stump is not quite healed. Should be a couple more months before I can even think about a fake foot.
I don't feel that it's taken a year off my life but it has taken a year from my life.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Paging John Burns
Paging John Burns.....
Beetus thread, good advice, handy life style change tips for ya on this one.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 02/02/23.
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Timely.

Was diagnosed Monday. A1c 7.0. Fasting 134. 90 in the office.

Put on Metformin, and offered a once weekly injectable that also causes
a 30% weight reduction over the first three months.

Turned down the shot. Kinda scares me, side effects?
Been rethinking it. 53, fat, HBP, now diabetes. The weight loss is probably
worth the risk. The risk of not doing something drastically pretty big.
Can't really exercise now. A knee injury makes a work day pretty bad, more
walking isn't gonna happen.

Anyone use that shot?

Haven't started the Metformin, probably gonna give me the trots.
Will take the first ones Friday evening. So I can trot at home.

Effects of it on you all.

Which shot? I'm type2 for 10yrs plus, take trulicity once a week only side effect for me has been the loss of weight, and metformin twice a day, and the wifey has been type 1 for twenty plus years. My gramma found her in the guest bathroom passed out after christmas dinner. Paramedic said her sugar tested at 740. When she came to in the icu 2 days later "surprise yer type one" pancreas checked out a few days prior to dinner they're guessing. She's been on a pump/sensor for the last 20 plus years and she's so good at it she's diagnosed as a diabetic w/o diabetes (just the running joke in our oncologist's office).

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
A few years ago, my father received a type II diabetes diagnosis. Set him up with a lot of metformin. He had to alter his way of life and diet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Type II (diagnosed 10 years ago) - now 55 years old, 2 heart attacks - 4 stints, exercise regularly and eat decently (now). Used to drink Pepsi and eat chips and a few Burgers and fries - not any more.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I had a doctor tell me that when you have diabetes that your chances of having a heart attack as a diabetic are the same as a man who’s already had a heart attack.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been on a low carb diet for 20 years or more. Everything is better now. Had gout for years. Went low carb and the gout is gone. Most people have no clue how many carbs are in most foods. That includes condiments, sauces, gravy etc. Get a carb counter book and read the label on every thing you get from the grocery store. I think most will be shocked at how many carbs you eat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Been on a low carb diet for 20 years or more. Everything is better now. Had gout for years. Went low carb and the gout is gone. Most people have no clue how many carbs are in most foods. That includes condiments, sauces, gravy etc. Get a carb counter book and read the label on every thing you get from the grocery store. I think most will be shocked at how many carbs you eat.

👆

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I this forum is the Anti Smart Phone set

But you google everything you eat and track the carbs. I have to do it with potassium.

Not sure, type your question into the search bar.

Then there are numerous tracking apps.

If luddites and dolts want to live life without information at their fingertips, they have no one or thing to blame but their own stupidity and stubbornness

I have very little time for family that refuses to take advantage of simple tech tools. Or for crap sakes, just read the label

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just saying "carbs" is a broad brush. Some are not so bad as others.
When you intake them matters a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WTM45
Just saying "carbs" is a broad brush. Some are not so bad as others.
When you intake them matters a lot.

We need “some” carbs. Anyone who buys food with a nutrition label label on it or restaurant food is getting too much.

We would get all the carbs we need from eating a carrot a day.

The biggest thing to remember is that the higher the carb content of a food, the lower the nutrient density.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was diagnosed with Type II in 2011. Stressful sedentary job, love food. Not too far over the threshold, A1C about 6.7, IIRC. About 7-8 months of diet and exercise, no meds, from about 190 to 150, all numbers good A1C less than 6.0 and has hovered around 6 ever since, but recently about 6.3. Went on Metformin about five years ago.

Here's what I have noticed. Once you get the big D on your record, some docs blame just about everything on it. I had retinal issues after cataract surgery, and a retinal doc immediately diagnosed it as diabetic retinopathy, even though I've had no other diabetes related issues. Recently I saw another retinal doc, and he said it was highly doubtful that it was caused by diabetes. I've had some docs swear I am diabetic, others say prediabetic. It can make a difference, e.g. what insurance companies will pay for and in my state the DMV may make you get an annual eye exam. Thanks to an alert DMV clerk for warning me about that. A new doc I saw after moving immediately wanted to add two meds "just in case".

About diet. I watch what I eat, but I'm not fanatic about it. At my age eating is one of the few pleasures I enjoy. My best friend, PhD, health fanatic, strict diet, died from cancer in 2018, age 72. Was given 3-4 years, dead in 6 weeks. I think about him, whether all the self denial was worth it. I strive for balance in most things. I had one PA brag about his diet and exercise regimen, allowed himself one small ice cream every six months. Screw that!

You can beat or at least stay ahead of diabetes. My son was diagnosed a few months ago. Overweight, A1C 11.7, felt $hitty. Lost weight, watched diet, took Metformin, in 4-5 weeks his A1C dropped to 6.5.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,546
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.