Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Double_Aught
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. It is actually an H&R model 340 made from 1981-1983. It is a Zastava action, very similar to the Interarms Mark X or FN commercial action. The stock is what H&R put on this rifle. It is very trim and the rifle is pretty light. Lighter than a pre 64 model 70 featherweight. It may be a Bishop stock, but I'm not totally sure..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just bought the rifle a few days ago and have been working on accurizing it. Glass bedded it, adjusted the trigger down to 2 3/8 pounds, and freefloated the barrel. Shoots very well for a light barreled rifle.

Guys saying your scope choice is heavy are full of it too. Unless 13 oz's is heavy. I'm running the same exact scope on this rifle and it balances very well. I'll develop some loads for this thing and run it out to 400 yards. I'd expect sub 2" groups at that range, even with the lowly 180gr Winchester powerpoint load I showed in another post. Good luck with your rifle. In your picture, you show a m1917. The one I posted a pic of also wears weaver bases and Burris Zee rings. That has been a great choice for my sporterized m1917's. Now, having a little experience with the old mauser actions, some were not drilled and tapped very well, so sometimes you run into issues mounting a scope because the bases are slightly out of alignment. When that happens (and it does), you may need to look at some rings that are windage adjustable. I've had to use the Millet angle loc windage adjustable rings. They work, and help to align the scope axis with the bore axis. Also, I've seen a few where the bases needed to be bedded because of ring alignment issues. Hopefully you won't have any problems like that, but it's always a good idea to check for those issues with scope alignment bars.

It’s a sharp looking rifle for sure. Hopefully I won’t have any problems with the Mauser scope base alignment, its at a reputable local smith so everything should be good to go when I get it back. My grandpa’s 1917 is a different story, it’s an eddystone with a roached out bore and I’ve thought about rebarrling back to 30-06 or reboring it to 35 whelen as well. I’ve read they had silverback gorillas tightening the barrels for eddystone back in the day and the receivers are prone to cracking and I’d hate to ruin a family heirloom. I’ll probably wind up sending it to JES and having it rebored eventually. The other issue with that rifle is the swimming pool where the rear sight base used to sit would have to be filled and welded. I’m not sure if it would be worth all that trouble to get a scope on it so I will probably leave the peep on it

Yes, those were the common issues with the Eddystones. A rebore would probably be the way to go and 35 Whelen would be a great choice. Many guys go with the 9.3x62 as well. I've seen the big hole you are talking about on some of the p14's and m1917's that were not finished. Some guys ground the ears off and left the hole. A lot of guys used one piece mounts and a single hole in the rear bridge.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I hadn’t considered a one piece mount like that. That is definitely an option and I’m sure a good bit cheaper than having the hole filled and ground down. I’m a pipe welder by trade and have no problem welding bolt handles and such but welding on the reciever is something I’d be hesitant about without getting it heat treated afterwards or something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a sporterized Mauser 98 at the smith’s now getting drilled and tapped for scope bases. The receiver hadn’t had the charging hump ground down so I decided on two piece warne unaltered steel bases for it. I was planning on using the vertical split maxima rings but after some reading I’m thinking about going with the Burris signature zee rings instead. Which ones should I go with? Or should I be looking at different rings?

To each his own, but anyone tells you Signatures are no good is......wrong. I'd definitely go with Signatures. And the Zees. They absolutely self align, hold really well and will not mark the scope. Either 1 or 2 piece base, up to you. With picatinny style machined slots, the Signature Zee will slide on fine, but the cross bolt is smaller than the slot. So just seat the ring and bolt, then slide it forward a little until the crossbolt stops against the front of the slot, then tighten. Not a big deal, it won't move. With the Weaver style aluminum extruded bases, the ends are often a bit larger enough to where you need to open the Zee ring clamping slot a little, a small pita but not a deal breaker for me. i just use one piece machined picatanny rails now. And Signature Zees. Never had one fail, ever.

BTW- You're gonna have a nice rifle. I'm sure you won't go tossing it around. .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is funnier than fhuqk,that which the gals who don't shoot,tend to "endorse" with their nothingness. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackman
Have a sporterized Mauser 98 at the smith’s now getting drilled and tapped for scope bases. The receiver hadn’t had the charging hump ground down so I decided on two piece warne unaltered steel bases for it. I was planning on using the vertical split maxima rings but after some reading I’m thinking about going with the Burris signature zee rings instead. Which ones should I go with? Or should I be looking at different rings?

To each his own, but anyone tells you Signatures are no good is......wrong. I'd definitely go with Signatures. And the Zees. They absolutely self align, hold really well and will not mark the scope. Either 1 or 2 piece base, up to you. With picatinny style machined slots, the Signature Zee will slide on fine, but the cross bolt is smaller than the slot. So just seat the ring and bolt, then slide it forward a little until the crossbolt stops against the front of the slot, then tighten. Not a big deal, it won't move. With the Weaver style aluminum extruded bases, the ends are often a bit larger enough to where you need to open the Zee ring clamping slot a little, a small pita but not a deal breaker for me. i just use one piece machined picatanny rails now. And Signature Zees. Never had one fail, ever.

BTW- You're gonna have a nice rifle. I'm sure you won't go tossing it around. .

Good post.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have Talley bases and split rings on my Mausers. No problems with them, but they probably ain’t with a cshit either. I use the Burris Zee Rings on 99’s, because I had to use offset insert to correct windage issues on a couple.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve used dual dovetail bases and Warne bases with both flavors of Signature Select rings with the variable inserts to mount scopes on hard kicking rifles without issues. I guess you need really super duper rings to contain the huge stash of disposable chink scopes in stock. How much storage space is there in a single-wide?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you're the guy that takes 10,000 pictures of targets, keeps fired targets in a collection of binders and your rifles only see the range, Zee's are the rings for you.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last two sets of Burris 'Zee's (supplied to me by their owners) were not anything I'd use or install. I showed them the areas of concern and both opted for different set ups.

An earlier set of 'Zee's (2003-ish) I now have on a 22LR are much better, with the exception of the cross bolt screw not being a Torx config as these later ones are.

My 2 cents worth, FWIW.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The last two sets of Burris 'Zee's (supplied to me by their owners) were not anything I'd use or install. I showed them the areas of concern and both opted for different set ups.

An earlier set of 'Zee's (2003-ish) I now have on a 22LR are much better, with the exception of the cross bolt screw not being a Torx config as these later ones are.

My 2 cents worth, FWIW.

Good shootin' -Al
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
If you're the guy that takes 10,000 pictures of targets, keeps fired targets in a collection of binders and your rifles only see the range, Zee's are the rings for you.

Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

My 2 cents worth, FWIW.

Good shootin' -Al

You guys can speculate all the stupid schidt you want, as it appears you have never had a set of Zee rings break. Please show some pics of these rings that have given up on you in the field or even on the range. I highly doubt some of you guys shoot more than a box of ammo per year. Then Al mainly shoots benchrest, where his rifles are 15+ pounds. The op wants a good set of rings for his mauser. Those that have posted pictures of what works on mauser rifles, have given good options.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had super low zee's on my Marlin .30-30 for over 20 years. I've lost track of how many deer have been killed and wouldn't care to guess how many days it's been afield but it's a whole bunch of both. Zero doesn't need adjustment unless I change loads and it averages about 3/4" for three shot groups at 100 yards with loads it likes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had super low zee's on my Marlin .30-30 for over 20 years. I've lost track of how many deer have been killed and wouldn't care to guess how many days it's been afield but it's a whole bunch of both.

Yeah....I was pretty surprised by the poor quality of these last two sets of 'Zee's' I referenced in my earlier post. Both hunters asked me before buying them and I told them that while they weren't my first choice, I had no qualms using them based on my previous good experience with 'Zee' rings, both standard and Signature. I actually wondered if they were knock-offs but both sets came from reputable suppliers and everything appeared correct. Both sets were tried on multiple sets of name brand steel and aluminum bases. The bases were not the issue.

Besides the 22LR mentioned, two H&R Ultra Varmint break action single shot 223's have early 2000's vintage 'Zee's on them as does a Model 70 Sporter Varmint 22-250. So there's a few sets here on well used hunting style rifles. I can't imaging how many 'dogs those two H&R's have shot over the years.

I've moved on from the 'Zee's but these 4 sets will stay since they do what they need to do. All bases have been bedded and rings lapped/bedded, as per normal.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorting through my tub of bases and rings last night for a rail blank to mill, I came across a pair of circa 2010-ish Burris 'Zee's that I'd forgotten about. My assumption is the 2010 versions were made in Colorado, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I still have one set of the poor fitting current 'Zee's here (owner decided it was too much hassle to return them), so here's some comparison pics. They are different heights, but that's neither here nor there.

1- One of the current set of 'Zee's that I had trouble with:

2- Current 'Zee's (lt), circa 2010 'Zee's (rt). If you look closely, you get a hint of the difference.

3- Superimposing the cross bolts, the issue is pretty apparent. If anything, this angle makes the difference less pronounced.

Another issue on both new sets is that the distance between the top of the cross bolt and the solid portion of the ring is .010-.012 more than the earlier sample.....likely from the cross bolt being too low. Which is another reason that trying multiple high quality bases made no difference.

The clamping angle issue, combined with dimension above the top bolt and/or the cross bolt height, made the rings want to 'roll' on the cross bolt as the cross bolt was bottomed out in the slot.

I'm not bangin' on Burris, dissin' Pacific Rim products or calling anyones parentage into question...just pointing out what happened. Hopefully this might save people some frustration if they're using these.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for all the good info fellas.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had super low zee's on my Marlin .30-30 for over 20 years. I've lost track of how many deer have been killed and wouldn't care to guess how many days it's been afield but it's a whole bunch of both. Zero doesn't need adjustment unless I change loads and it averages about 3/4" for three shot groups at 100 yards with loads it likes.

Pics

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.