Hop To
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by DBT
Religion tells us to believe.

Actually , religion allows you to believe. It puts forth a premise for you to accept or reject.

There may be a religion that says you must believe these parameters , but Ive yet to hear of it.

Why are there laws of physics?

Religion allows us to believe?

Do you believe in Islam's teachings? Do you believe in Mohommad as a prophet of god? The gods of Hinduism?

The point is; why do you believe? What is reason or justification for believing?

My beliefs arent inclusive of the teachings of the two you mention.
I am allowed to believe or not to codify their teachings within my beliefs.
I may include or not include anything to do with a creator in what I have or dont have reverence for.

I choose to be in reverential awe of an entity I believe created the universe .... for personal reasons. I am not ashamed of the Gospel of The Second Component (Yeshua) of the Triune God. I just choose to keep the reason I believe it to myself.

If for no other reason (and this isnt the reason) Science consistently falls short of explaining beyond the mechanical aspect(s) of creation. The big "why" is never defined. Likely having to do with it being unexplainable ?

Example:Scientific Article

Its an old article but still relatively valid.

If you visit the link, a very cool little window with a cheaply produced video appears having to do with particle acceleration. Pay close attention to the end.

.... like tears in the rain
GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Religion tells us to believe.

Actually , religion allows you to believe. It puts forth a premise for you to accept or reject.

There may be a religion that says you must believe these parameters , but Ive yet to hear of it.

Why are there laws of physics?

Religion allows us to believe?

Do you believe in Islam's teachings? Do you believe in Mohommad as a prophet of god? The gods of Hinduism?

The point is; why do you believe? What is reason or justification for believing?

My beliefs arent inclusive of the teachings of the two you mention.
I am allowed to believe or not to codify their teachings within my beliefs.
I may include or not include anything to do with a creator in what I have or dont have reverence for.

I choose to be in reverential awe of an entity I believe created the universe .... for personal reasons. I am not ashamed of the Gospel of The Second Component (Yeshua) of the Triune God. I just choose to keep the reason I believe it to myself.

If for no other reason (and this isnt the reason) Science consistently falls short of explaining beyond the mechanical aspect(s) of creation. The big "why" is never defined. Likely having to do with it being unexplainable ?

Example:Scientific Article

Its an old article but still relatively valid.

If you visit the link, a very cool little window with a cheaply produced video appears having to do with particle acceleration. Pay close attention to the end.

Science is not in the business of teaching about things that are a matter of faith. If someone teaches that the world is being manifested by the creative principle called Brahman, determining the truth of this isneither a matter of science or philosophy because it cannot be tested.

The same for the bible, where its supernatural claims are written on parchment, taught in church or schools, but cannot be tested or verified, therefore a matter of faith.

The problem with faith is that it has a poor track record when it comes to understanding the world as it is.

Something that was recognized long ago:

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The problem with faith is that it has a poor track record when it comes to understanding the world as it is.

The problem with faith is that is has a poor track record, by virtue of who's been interpreting/teaching or retelling it , that I wonder that the original intent hasnt been squandered
along the way in favor of authority? ..and all that that entails.
In the same way that governance has come to offer little else than regulation and authoritative dispensation ?

Overcoming that is going to be Religion's burden if Faith is going to survive. Government's too now that I give it thought.

I can still embrace all the explanations of the physical realm (or not) offered by science while still believing there's a purposeful destiny within/about it ... somewhere , That at its core reflects the intent of its Creator.

There's a three paneled fresco in Sienna's Palazzo Publico named The Allegory of Good and Bad Government , That could have easily been named The Allegory of Good and Bad religious Instruction.

Its worth googling.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
One thing for certain, no one has ever changed their core religious beliefs based on online forum debates.
I do not believe that.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Science is not in the business of teaching about things that are a matter of faith.
Yet you take scientific claims on faith.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Looking back, before I believed, many things had an influence on me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Looking back, before I believed, many things had an influence on me.
^^^
Drunkles in the barn....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bravo. I think there’s much to be said for your last post. For some, they genuinely question whether or not Christianity is even true…? I get that. But regarding the OP…for a post-Christian nation…and for many people, they question whether or not Christianity is good…? Is Christianity good for humanity; is it good for our society; is it good for our children; is it good for us…?

And just what is the “it” in the above questions…? Is Christianity what our post-Christian nation has seen and experienced for themselves (individually and collectively)…which is clearly unattractive to a great many people, so much so that it’s on the decline in this country…or is Christianity really “good news of great joy for all people”…?

Is there a distinction between the Christianity that is on the decline in this country, and the Christianity that was taught and modeled by Jesus and His apostle’s…? Is the version of Christianity that so many nowadays find unattractive and resistible the same version as the original version of Christianity…?

Is the problem with the message itself, or is the problem with the messengers (individually and collectively, denominations, the church, etc.)…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
The same for the bible, where its supernatural claims are written on parchment, taught in church or schools, but cannot be tested or verified, therefore a matter of faith.

Well, well, well, you have swerved into part of the truth (sort of). The corollary to this is that the bible's claims cannot be tested or disproved, either; and are therefore a matter of faith. This is precisely what I and others have been saying all along!

The bible's claims cannot be tested; how can historical events be replicated? Therefore, neither proof nor refutation are possible. You either believe the accounts or you don't, which means you either accept the accounts because you believe the witnesses to be truthful or not accepting the accounts because you think the witnesses were either lying or delusional. One or the other has to be true of anyone who has heard the gospel. None of the science that has been developed over the course of time has anything to do with whether or not you believe the bible, specifically the parts concerning the resurrection of Jesus.

One's faith is either in the accounts of people who were there at the time, or one's faith is in one's own ability to reason. One of these faiths is grounded in humility, the other in arrogance.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How is it possible for a person, 3000 years ago, to find, let alone, travel to Australia, gather 2 of every indigenous species of critter on that continent, bring it back to Mt. Arat then travel to the Artic....3000 years ago mind you, pick up and transport 2 of every species over there and bring them back to Mt. Arat and stuff them into an ark and then go to Africa and do the same....all without the use of a map (among other things that someone would need to even find these places). Then add in all the critters in the other continents I didn’t mention.

Real or hoax?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m not even sure why you’re bringin’ any of that stuff up. The Christian faith isn’t based on any of that. The apostle Peter’s faith wasn’t; the apostle Paul’s faith wasn’t. As interesting as those questions are, they don’t have anything to do with the foundation of the Christian faith.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Reading through the Old Testament, and the New, the one common thread is, Faith.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How is it possible for a person, 3000 years ago, to find, let alone, travel to Australia, gather 2 of every indigenous species of critter on that continent, bring it back to Mt. Arat then travel to the Artic....3000 years ago mind you, pick up and transport 2 of every species over there and bring them back to Mt. Arat and stuff them into an ark and then go to Africa and do the same....all without the use of a map (among other things that someone would need to even find these places). Then add in all the critters in the other continents I didn’t mention.

Real or hoax?

Study up on the new science of ancient technologies and civilizations. It's becoming more and more accepted that there were highly technically advanced civilizations even 12500 years ago. Global extinction events put humanity back to the stone age except for a handful of skilled survivors. It would be like what would be left today if a global extinction event transpired. A few primitive tribes and a few scientists would be all that survive. We imagine old Noah being basically stone age, but he might have had a ship thousands of times more advanced than we imagine.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by DBT

Well, well, well, you have swerved into part of the truth (sort of). The corollary to this is that the bible's claims cannot be tested or disproved, either; and are therefore a matter of faith. This is precisely what I and others have been saying all along!

The bible's claims cannot be tested; how can historical events be replicated? Therefore, neither proof nor refutation are possible. You either believe the accounts or you don't, which means you either accept the accounts because you believe the witnesses to be truthful or not accepting the accounts because you think the witnesses were either lying or delusional. One or the other has to be true of anyone who has heard the gospel. None of the science that has been developed over the course of time has anything to do with whether or not you believe the bible, specifically the parts concerning the resurrection of Jesus.

One's faith is either in the accounts of people who were there at the time, or one's faith is in one's own ability to reason. One of these faiths is grounded in humility, the other in arrogance.

Yet you dismiss all the other religions, or are they all true too? You're almost a complete atheist yourself - just caught up in the one god though. With skepticism and logical reasoning and researching what renowned historical experts are finding, you'll see that the bible makes no sense at all (even if it had been attempted to be written to be believable, it has failed with all the contradictions, factual errors and complete lack of evidence), and you may even realise that your faith is just special concession to accepting the ludicrous.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Again…regarding the OP…for some folks the resistance to Christianity nowadays revolves around the question “Is it true…?”

But for other people…and apparently for more and more of em’…the different question they’re pondering regarding Christianity nowadays is “Is it even good…?”

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by DBT

Yet you dismiss all the other religions, or are they all true too? You're almost a complete atheist yourself - just caught up in the one god though. With skepticism and logical reasoning and researching what renowned historical experts are finding, you'll see that the bible makes no sense at all (even if it had been attempted to be written to be believable, it has failed with all the contradictions, factual errors and complete lack of evidence), and you may even realise that your faith is just special concession to accepting the ludicrous.

LOL

Sputter, sputter, word salad.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Real or hoax?
The most likely explanation of the flood story comes from the ocean breaking over into the Black Sea and inundating the civilization surrounding what was then a fresh water lake. There would have been people there with boats that survived and drifted to higher ground. No way the mountains went under if every bit of ice on earth melted.

The inhabitants of Eastern Washing ton would have a similar story if their civilization was around when Lake Missoula broke loose releasing 3000 square miles of water all at once.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TF49
Mman….

Typical of you…. More dodging ….. the issue I raised was the certainly bogus D’arcy letter yet you dodge the issue.

You make claims and then refuse to even attempt to:justify your claims when they are exposed as just more fabricated baloney.

Meh, typical troll and a not a very smart one either.

Dbt, m9mm, SM & AS are all trolls and really should be ignored. They are antichrists

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Prayer and a miracle will be their only Hope. God does save to the uttermost. I met a guy from the Aryan brotherhood a few weeks back that God saved. There is mercy and God loves to save the worst of us.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A truly saved person is a miracle. What/or who else can change a man who is dead and changes a heart of stone to a heart of flesh. Who can open the ears and eyes of a man so he can see and hear? Spirituality speaking.

C.H. Spurgeon
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1lessdog, 160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 71 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,575
Posts18,532,002
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.