Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
What made you become a lawyer? What do you like best about being a lawyer, and what do you hate? What does a typical week look like? Do you prefer private sector, or local/state/federal government work?

I ask these questions because I am thinking about a change in careers, and litigation has always been of interest to me. I work with Commonwealth Attorney's and the District Attorney's office on some cases and I get a lot of job satisfaction in that area of my job. I don't hate what I do now by any stretch of the imagination, but I know I'm young enough to make a drastic career change, and old enough to know that I have goals in life that I'll never meet if I don't obtain a degree in a field I am truly interested in, and use it.

GFYs are welcome too. Thank you in advance.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting Ben...

Maybe set an appointment and talk to the folks at Liberty...

I ALMOST did the JD/MBA thing at Darden years ago... glad I didn't in hindsight.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Interesting Ben...

Maybe set an appointment and talk to the folks at Liberty...

I ALMOST did the JD/MBA thing at Darden years ago... glad I didn't in hindsight.

I've got an appointment with someone I work with regularly in Miyares' office to talk to her about why she decided to do what she does, and what made her pick govt over private.

Liberty is an interesting place to interact with as a non-student. But it's certainly somewhere I'm going to take a look at and talk to for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When my younger brother went to law school, I asked him the same thing.

His answer was "Have you ever seen a broke lawyer?"

LOL.

Soon after, my youngest brother went to law school too. I didn't ask him why, I knew why... Because the other brother did it. grin

Both practice in different areas of the law. One owns a lawfirm and is a personal injury atty., and the other one practices business law.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL.

Soon after, my youngest brother went to law school too. I didn't ask him why, I knew why... Because the other brother did it. grin

Both practice in different areas of the law. One owns a lawfirm and is a personal injury atty., and the other one practices business law.

Begs the question. Are either broke?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I often thought about it. Was told I should by 3 different lawyers.

I'm just too old to make a change now but if a night school option opened up locally - I'd give it a hard thunk just for giggles.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have you ever seen an honest lawyer?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10

LOL.

Begs the question. Are either broke?

🦫

No. Neither are broke, but the one who owns his own law firm is much more fluid as far as money.

They both tried to get me to go back to school and get a law degree, as I already had a master's in criminal justice, it wouldn't have taken as much to get a JD, as it would starting fresh. I just had had enough school, and being a lawyer never appealed to me.

There's more important things in life than money. Being able to live with how you get it is one of them. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot

Yeah. She's a transportation lawyer and honest as hell. Fights like crazy to keep others honest too.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You won't find many.

You won't find many lawyers who are conservative either.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V

Yep. I've seen plenty of dishonest folks in all walks of life.

I was a turbine welder for awhile and there are dishonest welders, dishonest NDT people, dishonest engineers, dishonest clients, you name it.

Honesty comes from the individual, not the industry.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Liberty is an interesting place to interact with as a non-student. But it's certainly somewhere I'm going to take a look at and talk to for sure.

IMHO... Liberty is one of the least "Woke" schools in America... that is why I would suggest it over Darden, Wharton, W&M, U of R et al.

Regent University School of Law is also has a good program if you could stand living in Virginia Beach... My lawyer went there and he is a M***** F*****

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V

IMHO... Liberty is one of the least "Woke" schools in America... that is why I would suggest it over Darden, Wharton, W&M, U of R et al.

Regent University School of Law is also has a good program if you could stand living in Virginia Beach... My lawyer went there and he is a M***** F*****

I completely agree with you on that. It's a great school. But I've got some stories that'd make you blink lol.

Maybe not "you" blink, but some folks anyway haha.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I was a turbine welder for awhile and there are dishonest welders, dishonest NDT people, dishonest engineers, dishonest clients, you name it.

What age are you, being as you are considering law school?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V

What age are you, being as you are considering law school?

Sub 30.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I completely agree with you on that. It's a great school. But I've got some stories that'd make you blink lol.

Maybe not "you" blink, but some folks anyway haha.

They don't call it "Lynch" Burg for nothing...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No use for prick lawyers

seen a few in my day

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about being a lawyer once I left the Air Force. I instead opted for a MBA through Liberty University, as I told myself I was tired of lying after being a weather forecaster for 22 years. In all honesty, I’d love to have done it, but was not in a place where I could just up and leave Alaska to attend law school in the lower 48 at the time.
I’m happy where I’m at in life and I bet I have a lot less stress than if I had give to law school.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Last edited by Hudge; 02/02/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks like no lawyers are gonna admit to it.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I very much appreciate the input of all who have given feedback thus far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,236 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.