P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by pete53
sorry but i won`t ever use Remington 700 actions with higher pressure cartridges no more

TFF - you sure got a lot of guys riled up Pete. Hope they are sleeping at nite smirk

yep i was afraid of that , that`s fine they like the 700`s actions to hunt with ,good for them. i also know i butt hurt some of them their feelings. but my question is : so why worry what i prefer to use ? i don`t give a rat`s arse what they wanna use !

Just like I'd never use a long-barreled, single-shot in 257 Wby to shoot 60 yards in a tamarack swamp. smile

I got 6x from my original lot of new 80 WBY cases before parting ways with the rifle (a swell custom on a 700 action).

thanks for thought

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only have 1 Weatherby a 270 mag and in a Mk V, never had a 257 but if I do it will be in a Weatherby rifle utilizing their designed freebore. If I built one on a 700 it would have the same freebore spec. I don't have the same problems with 700's that 700 haters do guess I'm just lucky...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, after all the input, most good, I went and bought a no go primer pocket gauge since I felt that the go gauge was a little loose.

The no go gauge does not enter the pocket. I also tested to see if I could push a primer in by hand, and could not. This was all done with 4x fired brass.

I pulled my rifle out of the dumpster this morning along with the brass.

Thanks for the entertainment. BTW, my Bartlein barrel does have the "Weatherby Chamber".

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Well, after all the input, most good, I went and bought a no go primer pocket gauge since I felt that the go gauge was a little loose.

The no go gauge does not enter the pocket. I also tested to see if I could push a primer in by hand, and could not. This was all done with 4x fired brass.

I pulled my rifle out of the dumpster this morning along with the brass.

Thanks for the entertainment. BTW, my Bartlein barrel does have the "Weatherby Chamber".

Yes!!!!! Glad to hear the rifle is resurrected and life is good.

And now you're making me think about purchasing a no-go primer gauge. I'm gonna have to search and see if I still have my go gauge somewhere, I haven't seen it in quite some time..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I've got some PMC brass that has been loaded 9 times but I never get over 5 or 6 loads on Norma or Weatherby brass. My brother uses RWS 7 mm Mag brass in his 257 bee it ends up a little shorter than factory loads but lasts like my old PMC brass.

That PMC is very good brass, unfortunately no longer available. Years ago Keith - on here - had several different headstamps hardness tested. The PMC came out hardest by something like 4 or 5 pts on the Rockwell scale. It's real good stuff. Mine .257 was chambered with that 0 freebore reamer cut 050" shorter to work with 7mag or 264 brass. But I've always used PMC. Rel 22 with a Sierra 100 just shy of the lands are at 3982 and 4010 out of a 29" Hart 12twist. Accuracy is about 1/4". Awesome cartridge/gun.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ackman
I've got some PMC brass that has been loaded 9 times but I never get over 5 or 6 loads on Norma or Weatherby brass. My brother uses RWS 7 mm Mag brass in his 257 bee it ends up a little shorter than factory loads but lasts like my old PMC brass.

That PMC is very good brass, unfortunately no longer available. Years ago Keith - on here - had several different headstamps hardness tested. The PMC came out hardest by something like 4 or 5 pts on the Rockwell scale. It's real good stuff. Mine .257 was chambered with that 0 freebore reamer cut 050" shorter to work with 7mag or 264 brass. But I've always used PMC. Rel 22 with a Sierra 100 just shy of the lands are at 3982 and 4010 out of a 29" Hart 12twist. Accuracy is about 1/4". Awesome cartridge/gun.
I’d guess Winchester was near the top of the “hard” brass list. Am I close?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most likely what was available. I don't remember but he probably would. PM him.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Not long after Nosler introduced their brass I bought some from SPS in two different cartridges.

Moderate loads produced ejector marks. Minimum loads produced ejector marks. Once fired cases I could sometimes start a primer into the pocket with my fingers. The ejector on my M700’s would shave so much brass it would jam the ejector plunger. Beating the bolt against the tire of my truck would sometimes pop the ejector loose, otherwise when I got home I would have to remove the plunger and spring to clean the brass shavings out.

A friend of mine looked at the brass and said “If I didn’t know better this looks like Norma brass”. A light bulb went on—I had tried Norma brass a couple times decades ago with similar results.

A phone call to SPS got nowhere. A phone call to Nosler and they conceded “Most of our brass is being made by Norma”.

I can’t speak for current production Nosler brass, but Norma brass and my experience with NormaNosler brass really is one step short of silly putty.

Nosler is allegedly making their own brass these days, but I’m afraid to try it……..

I thought growing old would take longer.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I've had exceptional use from Norma brass. I have some 6.5x55 brass that is on the 17th reload. I prefer Norma over any other brass I've used. Anyone pushing the max presure limits are going to use up their brass much quicker and to blame the brass for failing when you are trying to squeeze every last bit of velocity from your cartridge is not really justifiable.

I thought growing old would take longer.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ackman

PMC brass and ammo at one time was made in America and was of quite good quality.........now all of PMC's brass and ammo is made in Korea. the brass I have used is still pretty good........the problem I have is with the primers !!!!!
They have so hard of a cup they wont fire in some rifles

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.