Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I hope to visit a dear friend near Hartwell GA is a couple months. Hog hunting is on my bucket list. Can anyone recommend any hog hunting outfitters in that area? Not even sure if they do much hog hunting in that area. I'd prefer a hunt w/o dogs. Thanks and be well. DJB

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are huntable numbers in the north GA mountains. Mostly on WMA or National Forest. Not in the large numbers you see in Florida or Texas. I'm not aware of anyone offering guide services. Not even sure it would be legal at that time of year on public land.

Most of these are closer to the European Boars than the feral hogs you normally see. I don't know of many who specifically hunt them. They are usually taken by deer and black bear hunters. You may have better luck much farther south in GA or possibly in SC.

Turkey season opens in early April. You could probably do a lot better trying to plan a turkey hunt than hogs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not familiar with any that far north in Georgia, you'd be probably better off heading a couple hours south.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I hunted with "Hog Assault" out of Albany Georgia. The guy supplied everything, and he put us on plenty of hogs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To reinforce what JMR40 said, your best and cheapest bet in north ga is to hunt forest service land and wma’s. The corps lands around the lakes have some hogs on them too. Hogs in the mountains are really nomadic, but they retain a lot of their russian heritage from coloration to a real ridge back.

The only real issue in Ga when it comes to hog hunting is the forest service and DNR. They complain about the damage done on a certain wma or mountain then close the gates to a 15,000-30,000 acre area after deer hunts. Just making it more logistically complicated on hunters, concerning most people don’t hold hogs in high regards to actually go after them. If you find yourself hunting on public land, make sure you hunt with the appropriate caliber for the current season, ie it’s small game season now so you’ll be limited to rimfires, muzzleloaders, bows, shotguns with #2 and smaller shot.

You will probably have better luck below Macon, hunting peanut fields. If you manage to kill a good boar hog here in the mountains you’ll have accomplished something a lot of people haven’t. Hard to beat an akern fed hog, plus it makes a good trophy.

Hog hunting is pretty ingrained in history here in Northeast Ga. There has been hogs in the mountains for generations and there will always be hogs here. They have a big hog dog trial in Hickory point just below Hartwell. Search for some outfits around Blairesville, I believe there’s a couple of guys that do hog and bear hunts, they’ll be on private property so you can shoot any cartridge you want.

Hope you kill a big one!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Checkout Swallows Creek or Chattahoochee Wma's for lots of public land.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was literally just talking to someone telling me about all the hogs they had around Athens. But I dont expect north ga hog numbers to come anywhere close to central ga on south. You can about trip over a hog Macon and south of Macon, they are everywhere. A lot of guys up north come down and hunt the public land below Macon, pretty much doing it blindly and they do very well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hunt north Georgia and that area of South Carolina just over the line from Hartwell. But most of my hog hunting is further south. The few hogs I have killed in that area, I killed while Whitetail hunting.

I would echo what others have said that you might need to look further south. But also consider South Carolina because you’ll be right on the line. The Lowcountry in South Carolina, as well as south Georgia is where you get into more hogs.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The corp land around the upper end of the Little River Arm of Clark’s Hill lake is full of hogs. There are some WMAa around there I believe but you can also hunt the corp if engineers land around the lake. These are from that area…..yesterday

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hardin284; 04/30/23.

Hardin284
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those piggies are fat

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hunted a buddy's farm near Lake Hartwell a lot, and it was overrun. This was maybe 10 years ago, but I doubt they've left the area.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yup, there are a lot of hogs around Hartwell and Clark Hill, I’m just not sure about anyone guiding for them

Hardin284

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 257 mag, 264mag, 160user, 320090T, 33 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,404
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.