Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
UPS delivered the SWFA SS 10x HD today and I immediately mounted it in SWFA rings on my hunting rig. As much as I love my 3-12 LRTSi, the rifle lost 1/2 pound by me swapping it out for the 10x HD SS. Took it to my range and zeroed it. Zeroing was stupid easy, as it always is when you have a scope that tracks correctly. Didn’t bother with a tracking test, as I have used several of the non-hd models, and one HD with good results, and Formidilosus has also had good results from them. After zeroing, I dialed my DOPE for 600 and easily put these two shots on my 600 yard plate. Missed the wind call a little bit but I can live with it.

I used to question the viability of a fixed 10x on a hunting rig, but a couple of years ago I had three Coyotes in my back yard one cold winter morning. I grabbed my wife’s Kimber Montana .223 which has a 10x SWFA SS on it, and smoked all three ‘yotes. The last one was about 200 yards by the time I got him.

Heck of a deal at their current sale price.

John

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-hd-30mm-riflescope-105138.html

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hondo,

How much of a difference between the HD and the non-HD? Both china?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Hondo,

Japan?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Hondo,

Japan?

Looks like the same turrets on the 3-9 so it had me wondering if it was Japan. Couldn't find it on the website.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Hondo,

Both the non-HD models and HD models are made in Japan. The non-HD by Kenko and the HD versions by LOW. The only exception I can think of is the 1-4, which I think is made in the Philippines. Can’t say for certain, as I have not owned a 1-4.

The glass in the HD is noticeably brighter than the non-HD. That said, the non-HD is very useable. The turrets on the HD version are splined, which I much prefer. The non-HD model parallax adjust down to 10 yards vs 50 for the HD, making the non-HD much better for rimfires.

Is the HD version worth the extra coin? Very subjective. At the current sale price, I think it is. At its normal price, not so much.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks. Just went and looked at my 6x and 10x non-hd and both say made in Japan. I just assumed they were a product of China.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Hondo..............if you have a chance to snap a few pics through the scope that would be great. I have heard that the view has quite a large "black ring" or vingette effect/tunneling, but didn't know if it was bullsh8t or not.

I would much appreciate it if you get a chance. Was thinking of snagging one myself at the sale price, but was hesitant if the view has a "toilet paper roll", tunnel effect without a clear view to the scopes edge.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Appreciate any insight about this you can give, also a picture is worth a thousand words.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.