Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I've posted some pictures of a rifle made by Leonard and would post them here again but I can't get them from my earlier posts about a 416 Rigby that I was finishing.

I know there are some pictures in books out there somewhere but does anyone here own a Mews custom? I'm seriously considering using his stock as a pattern for another rifle or two. Does he have a style that's pretty much a 'standard' like the great Bob Owens had or other established stock makers?

I believe Leonard worked in the custom shop at Weatherby's but did he pretty much follow the Weatherby style with his customs?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some Mews' rifles in "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy. I don't have a Mews rifle, he came along after the war and the style is a little too "California" for my taste. One pattern was called "The Buck Rogers Rocket Pattern" ;-).

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
cry crazy
We are in total agreement here with the (to me anyway) Weatherby style of those days. It sucked plain and simple but that's just my two cents. Roy Rogers probably loved his. Maybe there's something about being called 'Roy'. blush that makes a guy like gaudiness

But, the Leonard Mews custom I have is totally different and unique....to the point of it needing to be replicated to show the true genius of Leonard. That's why I posting this in fact. It is so totally classic and beautiful it is as far as the moon and earth are with the original 'Weatherby' style. I almost can see the dissatification of Leonard having to do these rifles for Weatherby when his heart was very possibly miles away.

Somewhere out there are some other custom rifles that Leonard did and I'm going to get with the Weatherby folks to see if they can help. I'm considering a small run of stocks built off of this original I have. I just wish I could go back into my earlier posts of this 416 Rigby and get a picture posted here with this post. It's a real pain not having the skills all you other guys have with these 'puters.

Last edited by idahochukar2; 11/19/07.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Mews Remington 30, originally '06 rechambered .300 H&H, Noske scope in O'Neil Hopkins mount, semi-California styling, art deco forend tip too difficult to explain in words, will have to try to use the digicamera on it when my daughter gets into town and
can show me how. Handsome but not quite in the class of the one Mike just referred you to.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, AB2506, Akbob5, 300_savage, 21 invisible), 16,597 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,997
Posts18,540,255
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.