Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
For a rifle that at most will see an occasional rain day while hunting and with only 1/2 pound difference in their respective weights, is there any reason to own the Montana over the Classic? The wood stocked guns look better to me but the Montana looks tougher. I cannot imagine there would be any performance differences between an 84M Montana or Classic?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There shouldn't be any difference in accuracy from the Classic to
the Montana - unless the walnut "moves" a little. It has been my experience that you don't need a rainy day to have walnut move.
Improperly cured walnut can take a walk anytime!
I just make life simpler and buy the Montana.
Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The problem I have with nice wood, is that it's nice wood! Every nick and ding hurts to look at.

Plus wood is an organic material that can and will move around, as BigWhoop says.

Who CARES about a ding in a plastic stock?

Oh- by the way, the Montana stock is really, really good and is a fiberglass/kevlar stock, not plastic per se. If I understand correctly. Anyway, it's a super stock, about as good as it gets.

I never even considered the wood stocked Kimber- sythetic all the way for a hunting rifle IMHO.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A ding in a wood stock just adds character. . . . . might decrease the resale value, but who ever really sells a rifle anyways? wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The wood just looks so much nicer and classier. But ultimately, it's a rifle, and the wood can stand up to use.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have both on my rifles but have been returning to wood/blue over the last year. imo, the plastic/kevlar are a bit more rugged, but just don't have the "good looks" of walnut. bottom line - get what you like as you can find outstanding accuracy in both variations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jimmy, If I didn't climb around mountains with a rifle on my back I'd never own plastic rifles... for sitting in a deer stand I much prefer a nice walnut/blued rifle no matter the weather.

My "ideal" stand rifle for Eastern Whitetail would involve a custom chromoly M70 SA in 250 Savage with a 20" bbl, open sights, Mannlicher stocked in a classic pattern topped with a Leupold 2-7x33.

Yeah, it'd have a leather sling too...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ahhh, for me a nice piece of wood on a rifle has the same affect as good looking woman. It makes my heart race.
4 out of the last 5 rifles I bought were bought for that reason.
And yes I do have a few plastic stocked rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cole_k
Ahhh, for me a nice piece of wood on a rifle has the same affect as good looking woman. It makes my heart race.
4 out of the last 5 rifles I bought were bought for that reason.
And yes I do have a few plastic stocked rifles.

Like the way you put that..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just hunt in the rain too much I guess. My rifles and I come home SOAKED; I hang the (stainless, laminate) M7 by the woodstove, prop my boots up next to it, hang my gear on the hooks near it, and don't worry about it... seems like no matter what I do my blued guns end up getting some rust on them when they get wet and stay wet for a couple weeks during the season. There's just no way to properly dry it out w/o pulling it out of the stock.

Yeah, I know- stainless steel ISN'T. But it's close! I guess there are products you can coat a blue rifle with too. I've never messed with that.

Anyway, in a drier climate, I would agree that blued steel and walnut is a great, classic look and feel. I like how the bluing wears over time, too. My stainless guns all look practically brand new, you can't see where I carry them in my hands like you could if they were blued.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much prefer wood, though crawling around in the sage on a recent antelope hunt put some "character" in my Rugers stock.
Brad, if you find one of those 250s at a decent price, let me know. Sounds like my kind of gun. Always wanted one of the Ruger RSI 250's, but settled for the standard 22" rifle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was a child of the 70's and grew up with fond memories of my Mom's tupperware parties, and dang it, I like the stuff. It is tough as nails as long as you don't put it in the microwave.

I have some nice wood stocked guns, but everything I buy these days is stocked in tupperware.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As Kimber doesn't offer a laminated stock option, I'd go with the synthetic to avoid trouble with stock movement, as others have said.

If you really wanted something unusual in a Kimber, get the stainless version and have it custom stocked in laminate. Then you'd have a stable stock that kind of looks and feels like wood (except for the absence of "high figure" walnut...)

Also, laminated is heavier than either wood or synthetic, I believe.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, wood can be a real bear, I have a Weatherby Mk V that I had to float 3 times. It's really really dry here in eastern Oregon and anything made of wood shrinks over about a 2 year period. Furniture, gun stocks, my wood pile, you name it. I get shocked about 30 times a day just walking around in my house. It's gotten to the point that I simply stick a knuckle out for first contact with light switches, gun safe, and yes, even the wife and the dog. Doesn't seem to have as much jolt as a finger tip.

It's an awfully good looking bear though and my preference. So what if we have to be a bit careful. I'm careful with my rifles anyway, because I want to miminize any risk of an accuracy issue when the target shows up. My first NIB 1963 rifle is still at about 95% condition. Growing up in the humid south, I was taught that one took care of the firearm before himself. That still goes today, and my rifles show it.

I will fess us to one piece of plastic, an Accumark. There's a piece of walnut drying under the bed though to rectify that issue shortly.

Pick up some wood, as it will likely be tomorrow's classic. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ole270, the rifle I described would have to be custom I think, unless the USRAC custom shop made one which could be. I did have the little 250 Savage M77 RSI and took a number of deer with it. Great little rifle and I regret selling it! My wish for the 77 RSI is that it would have a 20" bbl rather than 18.5"... however, if Ruger ever makes the Hawkeye in an RSI configuration and makes it in 250 Savage or 257 Rbt's I'll be an owner RIGHT NOW regardless the bbl length.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wood for me.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Jimmy, If I didn't climb around mountains with a rifle on my back I'd never own plastic rifles... for sitting in a deer stand I much prefer a nice walnut/blued rifle no matter the weather.

My "ideal" stand rifle for Eastern Whitetail would involve a custom chromoly M70 SA in 250 Savage with a 20" bbl, open sights, Mannlicher stocked in a classic pattern topped with a Leupold 2-7x33.

Yeah, it'd have a leather sling too...

Yes there's the problem. The mind says kevlar/stainless, but the wood just has soul. You go to buy the "right thing" and then you see that unique chunk of wood sitting on the rack stairing at you... All my wood stocked guns have leather slings as well smile

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've got about 50:50

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Every synthetic stocked rifle I've purchased has found its way into wood, even one that was so accurate I was a bit afraid to play with it and change. I changed it anyway and after one minor adjustment to the bedding, it returned to the same POI. The only thing that can come close to the unique qualities of wood is a McSwirly and while I may have one someday, the last time I came close to buying one, I just couldn't see spending the money on anything but a pretty piece of walnut, and that's what I did. McSwirlies are unique, but they don't have the character and class of wood, not for me anyway.

Oh, and chalk me up as another for appreciating the little dings and wear marks, too, even when they make me cringe at first bite.

- Andy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a guitar player, I love the tropical hardwoods as much as the next guy... but I also like not worrying about my hunting rifles. So laminate and sythetic have ruled my gun safe (I almost always accidentally type "fun safe!) pretty much except when I have no choice. I do love and appreciate the couple of blue/walnut guns I own, a Citori and BLR.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 17 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.