Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
What does one in 300 Savage weigh (no scope)?

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
An EG is about 8 pounds. Never had an F, so no clue there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had no idea that the ‘50’s era F’s were only made for four years! I went to a collector show looking for something for the kid to use and saw a guy walking the show with a mint condition ‘57 99 over his shoulder and when I ran into him again three isles over, I remarked that he had a nice EG there. He said that it wasn’t an EG, but an F. I really wanted a .308, but this one was a .300. Darn. Okay, I reluctantly gave the guy the $380. that he wanted for the rifle. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.
Signed a blind squirrel.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
I had no idea that the ‘50’s era F’s were only made for four years!
Technically 5 years - 1955 to 1959. But the first year was 300 Savage and 250-3000 only, the 243/308/358 was 4 years from '56 to '59.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
These are F’s except for rifle on bottom. I got one, then others have showed up

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]baby boy c names

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, if "EG" stands for "Economy G", what does "F" stand for? "Freakin'" good?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eight pounds?????

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RAM
Eight pounds?????

Is that a question? Use your words. You normally have plenty. grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Let's get back to reality. The F 'Featherweight' model is advertised at 6-1/2 pounds.

The EG is 7-1/4 pounds.

Is that a huge difference? Depends on your personal point of view. I think the advertised weight of both is light compared to actual measurements I've made.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Equally, or more, important than weight is balance IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Agreed. In a stand I'm fine with the EG cause I like long barrels.

Beating the brush I want to be carrying an F.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by RAM
Eight pounds?????

Sorry... 7-11oz with a Marble's tang sight on it. Minutiae isn't my forte, hence the "about" 😉

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Equally, or more, important than weight is balance IMO.

Agreed. I like the EG, but the old 1899A SR feels better balanced to me. The other EG I had the rebarrel done on shoots fantastic, but feels like I have a brick hanging off the muzzle now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Agreed. In a stand I'm fine with the EG cause I like long barrels.

Beating the brush I want to be carrying an F.
That's why they made 99T's. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by S99VG
The EG got factory drilling for scope mounts sometime after 1955/56. I had a circa-1957 EG that was so it happened sometime before that.
Late 1954, actually.

Thanks!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Let's get back to reality. The F 'Featherweight' model is advertised at 6-1/2 pounds.

The EG is 7-1/4 pounds.

Is that a huge difference? Depends on your personal point of view. I think the advertised weight of both is light compared to actual measurements I've made.

Obviously that sort of weight wasn’t a issue with guys who packed Model 70 Winchesters. Winchester sold the snot out of those rifles. I’ve never owned one, but the standard weight rifles I’ve held certainly felt heavier than what the EG could have amounted too. Maybe 99 guys just don’t like heavy rifles. Maybe that’s why the post-war R never really seems to come up on anybodies list of favorite 99s.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I love me some post war Rs! Most accurate 99s I've owned. Lot's of fun at the range. Definitely not a brush gun though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My take: the 99 was/is an excellent hunting rifle, certainly in the top ten of all time. But, where it really shines is in the hands of the hunter who doesn't sit on his butt in a tree stand or a blind all day, the guy who covers some territory while seeking Br'er Whitetail. Some are better than others in that regard, especially if unencumbered with optics (my all-time fave is the aperture sighted M1899H, I wouldn't have done it with a scoped R). The butt hunters are served well with a lot of other choices too, which for that purpose may well outshine the 99. The 99 had a lot of thought go into it to make it a companionable tool for the still hunter, who was the most common guy in the woods back then.

I wonder if it would enjoy the same popularity if it were freshly introduced today, in an age when few guys roam the woods for miles and to whom the ideal deer rifle is a scoped high velocity bolt gun? (And those same guys who when they do strike off on foot insist on lugging those same rifles.) The same could be said for the M94 and 336. Mind you, I'm speaking to what I've observed here in the jungles of northern Appalachia, and hypothesizing about if none of these light ergonomic lever guns had never before existed but all of a sudden appeared now.

Just food for thought. Let's nobody get their panties twisted in a knot!
I don't know why I always wind up agreeing with Gary, maybe it's because my parents taught me to respect my elders, but my 1899H 22HP is a very likeable carry around rifle.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
HAHAHAHA just one for hunting you are in for a rude awakening the 99 flu has no vaccine no treatment no turning back
it is like the Mafia only one way out

Best of luck and enjoy when you do find the rifle you are looking for

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Late to the conversation, and a newbie to boot......but loved the topic and the comments. Would add that I really like the model F in 300 Savage for hogs as well. Quick to point and shoot, and shoot again, (and maybe again), and a great caliber to load for those critters.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My take: the 99 was/is an excellent hunting rifle, certainly in the top ten of all time. But, where it really shines is in the hands of the hunter who doesn't sit on his butt in a tree stand or a blind all day, the guy who covers some territory while seeking Br'er Whitetail. Some are better than others in that regard, especially if unencumbered with optics (my all-time fave is the aperture sighted M1899H, I wouldn't have done it with a scoped R). The butt hunters are served well with a lot of other choices too, which for that purpose may well outshine the 99. The 99 had a lot of thought go into it to make it a companionable tool for the still hunter, who was the most common guy in the woods back then.

I wonder if it would enjoy the same popularity if it were freshly introduced today, in an age when few guys roam the woods for miles and to whom the ideal deer rifle is a scoped high velocity bolt gun? (And those same guys who when they do strike off on foot insist on lugging those same rifles.) The same could be said for the M94 and 336. Mind you, I'm speaking to what I've observed here in the jungles of northern Appalachia, and hypothesizing about if none of these light ergonomic lever guns had never before existed but all of a sudden appeared now.

Just food for thought. Let's nobody get their panties twisted in a knot!

Amen. I'm a still hunter and a tracker, I simply don't have the patience to sit on the side of a tree all season, or worse, in a heated blind as guys do it here, nor hunt literally the same spot all season long. I'm not even sure i'd call this "hunting". You're certainly a predator, no argument there, an ambush predator, a rattlesnake versus a wolf. Which can be very effective - more effective then tracking for a lot of people. I just wanna cover some country and see what's over the next ridge, see where a big track takes me, and if i play the game skillfully enough and have the right luck i'd like a good story to go with the kill/trophy. I've taken in recent years to hunting the effectively limitless public woods of the Rocky Mountain east slopes foothills. There is lots of hunting pressure but it ends within 100 yards of a road/quad-trail, i have yet to see a single other hunter's tracks in the many miles of tracking i do. They're almost all limiting themselves to where they can get a vehicle. I doubt the 99's would enjoy the same popularity now that they did even if the guys did roam the woods, however. Out here there is no gun that's not a bolt gun in .300 winmag or 6.5 creedmore. In New England of course there's still more of a tradition of old school hunting. Many of them favor Remington pumps and i have two of those i carry in the woods, both 50's vintage and one in .300 Savage. The only edge they have on the 99 as a woods gun is they cycle more slick, so much so you don't even notice - like glass, that slide. However, i just picked up a 99 Model F in .308 for reasons of better ammo availability - $875 and a calibre i also feel comfortable with if an elk happens by. My first F, and im thinking this thing is going to be a superb tracking gun. I lucked into my preferred year of F - a '61 in very good condition with the gold trigger and dark, well above average figured walnut - i like the way the gold trigger trades accent with the brass counter window if you keep the counter polished. Really nice touch to my eye, i refinished the gun this past week and it looks fabulous, almost pristine. I can't believe how effortlessly it shoulders with it's slightly reduced proportions. Putting a Skinner ghost ring on it and looking forward to taking to the big woods with it next year. It will share duty with my Remingtons. In general i don't think hunters have the same eye for aesthetics in guns they used to. Witness all the guys out there content to carry a hunk of tacky looking plastic into the woods. So aside from the bolt-action fetish, there's a general decline in taste working against the 99. If there were not, the ones available at resale i think would be going for a lot more money. I honestly can't believe i got this old beauty for $875. Nor my Model R 15 years ago - which also has even more exceptional walnut - for $375, a real tack-driver using the lyman tang peep it came with, though heavy to lug as the miles add up.

Last edited by gulo; 02/04/23.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.