-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a video clip on a new Buick where they added a pigtail to the hood latch sensor that told it the hood was open. If hood was “open” the auto stop feature wouldn’t engage. No warning lights, no issues. I assume most of the GM products are similar.

GB4

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Buncha frigging whiners.
Does it really affect your driving? No.

This is an old man yelling at the clouds flavor to it.

I have rented vehicles that have it on them.

And yes it does affect the driving. There is a noticeable pause and delay in trying to take off quickly from a stop.

It is more than an annoyance. Glad you could contribute. Even though your contribution equated to a swing and a miss.
Wrong.
It’s on our 2022 Honda CR-V. Not even the slightest bit of a problem with it in driving. If you feel you need to have millisecond reaction time to blast off from a traffic signal or stop sign, just wiggle the steering wheel, or let off the brake enough to cause it to start again, it will stay running. The 1/4 to 1/2 second it takes to start isn’t an issue in real life. You guys act like you’re at the frigging dragstrip trying to cut your reaction time down to beat your opponent to the far side of the intersection.
Again. Whiners

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I dislike it a great deal. I'm training myself to turn it off every time I start.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A starter does have a lifetime. In a regular use a car would start a few times a day as you would start it and drive somewhere. Now some genius believes he is saving the earth by putting a start/stop feature in the car to save the atmosphere by killing the polluting nasty motor for a few seconds at a stop sign.

So you drive this car down the street one time and the starter is engaged probably 50-60 times more than normal. How in the Hell can this make any sense. A car in the United States is not adding enough emissions into the atmosphere that not running is going to improve anyone’s life or life expectancy…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jbmi
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
I'm sure it was meant for mileage ratings.
I have the option of turning it off but need to do it every time I drive, wish there was a way to permanently disengage it.
Just an old mans rant.

I agree 100%. I bought a Pulsar engine tuner for my 2020 GMC and permanently disabled it. The only reason I ever want my engine to shut off is because I turn it off.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Digging deeper it looks like some systems use a starter and some use compression. None keep them oil pump running but they act like they have engineered ‘better’ bearings that can handle it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
A starter does have a lifetime. In a regular use a car would start a few times a day as you would start it and drive somewhere. Now some genius believes he is saving the earth by putting a start/stop feature in the car to save the atmosphere by killing the polluting nasty motor for a few seconds at a stop sign.

So you drive this car down the street one time and the starter is engaged probably 50-60 times more than normal. How in the Hell can this make any sense. A car in the United States is not adding enough emissions into the atmosphere that not running is going to improve anyone’s life or life expectancy…

Good post. As for the start/stop feature on my vehicles, that is called a key. I have total control of that. The way it should be. Life is great. On a further note, I drove one of my buddies F150's with this stupid start stop feature. I hated the sob. I drove across town and the damn thing turned off and restarted 10 times. That starter sure as hell doesn't last as long as mine does.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GF's car has it. She drives about 15-20 miles a week, total. All urban/city driving. Lots of stop/starts. Car's 10 years old now - zero starter issues. Round trip for work - for her, car start/stops maybe 8 times.

The last time I replaced a started in anything? It was an 88 Chevy PU with the 4.3 Vortec and the replacement was in 94 or so. It's been a while. Not saying they don't fail but the starter in her car is probably quite a bit better than the POS GM put in that Chevy back then.

I fret them not.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The beautiful thing about a Toyota hybrid is the lack of so many of the ancillary things that break...

No starters, no alternators, no fan belts yada yada...

The MPG is good as well... 63+/- on the Prius, 52+/- on the Camry, 45+/- on the RAV4 and 37+/- on the Sienna.

Hybrids and Cummins diesels... hard for me to think of needing much else here in my world.

Worry free chit... is the only way to roll IMHO.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 16 hybrid Chevy pickup with that stop start thing ,at about 100k it malfuncti9ned and wouldn't start unless I put the truck in park and turned the key off and restarted the truck, kinda scary in a lot of traffic. Chevy took it in under warranty and replaced the module, hadto drop the transmission cause the computer stuff sits on top of it ,took 3 weeks to get it back from the dealership.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a BMW that had that feature. I paid a guy a little to reprogram it along with a bunch of other stuff like the seatbelt buzzer so I didn’t have to worry about it.

I don’t think it hurts the starter or engine but it’s an annoyance that does nothing to improve my driving experience so I don’t see any reason to allow it to annoy me. I couldn’t care less about an automaker’s CAFE ratings or the $1 in gas it might save me over the time I own the vehicle.

Fortunately for just about every vehicle made there’s a hack to get rid of it. The OP didn’t say what type of vehicle it is but there’s probably a forum for that model and somebody there will know of a hack to get rid of it or can point you to a $20 gizmo that will disable it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Again, the bypass that plugs into the wiring harness is easy.

Here's one company. There are many others.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My 22 4 Runner doesn’t have it. Don’t like or want it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our Toyota Highlander has it. There's a dash button to turn it off but you have to push it each time you start the car. It won't hold the setting. With our type of driving, it's no big deal. Unless you drive like Parnelli Jones, it'll be running before your foot gets from the brake to the gas.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wifeys has that, don’t like it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Again, the bypass that plugs into the wiring harness is easy.

Here's one company. There are many others.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com

Yep, I installed something similar on my 2022 Silverado. Took maybe 30 minutes to get access to the back of the switch and install the pigtail. It leaves the autostop feature in the last last setting, so mine stays off unless I press the switch.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
If you knew it was there when you bought it, then WHY did you buy it??

Just me, but I would never have some car/truck that kills the engine at every stop... It's a totally BS feature that should have never been, period..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Always interesting to see who comes out in defense of this shît. Same as the traction control. Same folks by and large getting jabs and voting for the Romney’s

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Look up what it is you are driving on YOU TUBE ask the Question and there's a video on how to disable the start/stop system, we have done this on Fords, Chevy, Jeeps, and Dodge Vans. it works and doesn't cost anything. Rio7

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.