Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I took my BLR out hunting last year for the first time. Took it to the range many times, functioned flawlessly. When I was using it for hunting, the action was very tough to work. So tough, I decided to use my spare instead.
Usually, I do not clean my guns starting the "last time" I took it to the range prior to hunting season(I think it was about two weeks). Ive gone two weeks between cleanings prior to hunting season, and it was never a problem.Seems that the cold had a real affet on this gun. Anything I can do or use to make the action easier in the cold, short of completely cleaning-I guess I am wondering if I should lube it, or maybe spray the action with some solvent prior to hunting.
Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a guess, but mayby too much oil and it turns to molasses when cold ? I've heard good things about "Break free" as a lubricant , but never tried it.

Phil

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It could be a problem with the lube inside the action when it's very cold. That cost me a very nice buck one time years ago with a Remington Model 760. The firing pin did not have enough energy to indent the primer. It taught me a lesson I have never forgotten. Now, I clean the action and lube lightly with Rem Oil. I hope you solve your problem. I have been thinking of getting a BLR in .358.

Thanks...Bill.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
when it was really cold, in Wisconsin, I used graphite that I got from the key making place in Walmart. I just wiped it down really well after I brought it in with oil. The insides never really rusted. I also kept the shotgun in the unheated garage during hunting season, so condensation wasn't really a problem.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds like the orginal shipping greases are still in the bolt interior and gear set. Due to the very tricky reassembly (for gunsmiths; virtually impossible for amateurs) of the BLR, I would recommend a very thorough spray cleaning (including bolt interior) with non-clorinated brake cleaner drained over old papers. Keep it off the stock finishes. After drying, relube very lightly, mostly with light silicones and graphite.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.