Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not a bad idea, Ted. I'll donate a pic of my 1950 R that had a side mount on it. All I have is pics of the holes. Chucked the mount and Tasco scope the day I got it.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Might be the Williams side mount?

My money is on Lightfoot.

Let's incorporate any more stickies into existing ones. Just got the sticky page cleaned up a year or two ago. We don' need 30 or 40 stickies at the top of the page.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The thing with all the known aftermarket Savage side mounts is they employed tapered pins along with the screws, in line with the screw holes, or at least were designed as such - with the exception of the flimsy Weavers. This one has no naked holes for additional pins.* Here's the thing: Griffin&Howe offered their side mounts for the 99 with both pre-drilled holes for both screws and tapered pins, and blank bases with zero holes drilled in them to be employed at the gunsmith's discretion. (I'm sitting on one of them right now. It's digging into my butt as we speak. Well, actually it's in my sight box.) Mayhaps a gunsmith chose this layout of holes for one of those mounts for reasons best known to him (or he f*cked up), and forego'ed the tapered pins entirely. Who knows? It's one of those simple little life's mysteries, you know - the one's that are the most vexing.

*Side note: The receiver walls on 99's are devilishly thin and only support a couple threads of side mount screws. The smart installer, IMO, would definitely utilize the additional pins for an installation, or skip them and employ solder in their stead. I ran into that problem almost 20 years ago with my first 99, and was in fact the impetus to come here and find out why my then gunsmith turned down the job.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's a question for all of you 99 PhD's, how effective were those windage adjustment wheels on that Williams scope mount on the OP's 99R post. Often wondered about those. Saw a 99 at a Des Moines (Ia) gun show not long ago that had one on it. Asked the seller and he had no idea.

Those left side receiver screws (and holes if the screws were out) remind me of alot of Rem 8/81 rifles I've seen over the years. My first 81 (late 40's) I got didn't even have plug screws in it. Bought some from Brownells that were tapered heads that had sides that fit flush with the receiver. While they looked out of place on the rifle IMO, they looked better than just plugs or normal flat head style. Have seen pictures of 8/81 left side receivers that had more holes in them than the proverbial 'Black Holes of Calcutta'! Past owner/owners must have tried every mount available at some time. Nasty lookin rifles. Holes in 8 and 81's get the same devalue ($$) as most 99's that do so and/or have top receiver D&T of pre-factory tapped 99's.

Rifles with no mounts on the Rem 8/81 forum with numerous plugs/screws in them get the same "Wonder what scope mount those are" questions from time to time. The receivers on those rifles are sort of thin also, maybe not as bad as a 99, but after D&T, there is limited steel available. Screw shanks inside of the receiver need to be flush also with the inside so as not to interfere with the bolt moving back and forth. I did get a Williams style side mount that the holes were for not long ago but haven't mounted it yet. Have a vintage Weaver scope from the 50's to mount on it. Thankful for the Stith and Lightfoot 99 scope mounts. While the Stith is vintage, Mike's (soon to be Gary's) is more versatile than the Stiths for scope selection. smile

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Might be the Williams side mount?

My money is on Lightfoot.

Let's incorporate any more stickies into existing ones. Just got the sticky page cleaned up a year or two ago. We don' need 30 or 40 stickies at the top of the page.

Point on creating another Sticky well taken Randy, perhaps pics could be posted in the Misc. Good Info thread?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
On one forum I hang out, they were getting too many stickies, and they made one sticky. When you clicked on it, all the separate stickies dropped down. Takes up less space and keeps all the stickies separate.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Here's a question for all of you 99 PhD's, how effective were those windage adjustment wheels on that Williams scope mount on the OP's 99R post. Often wondered about those. Saw a 99 at a Des Moines (Ia) gun show not long ago that had one on it. Asked the seller and he had no idea.

So "How's about" those windage screws on the mount?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The windage adjustment on the Williams is neither wheels nor screws. The front ring screws into an adjustable hole which can be repositioned to move it right or left. It's the brass looking insert in the picture.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'll bee!!!!! Always thought they were for windage. Thank you Mike

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nope those wheels are what makes it a quick detachable mount. Then you can use that 'Ace in Hole' peep sight that screws in the rear.

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Bought the rifle-not here yet. I will probably sell the mount and scope once it gets here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.