Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just received a suppressor and have installed it on a Ruger mk IV 22/45, but accuracy seems inconsistent.

Groups shot without the can are much tighter than when shooting suppressed.

Is this an ammo situation (Federal 45 grain sub sonic semi-auto) or do suppressors need to be fully cleaned after 100 rounds?

Just trying to figure out why accuracy is so hit and miss with this set up. 2-3 shots out of 10 are way out of the group, as in off the steel plate. The other 7-8 shots are acceptable, but still not as tight as with the can taken off. Even with the same ammo.

Does anyone with more experience have some advice on this?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

You don't have to clean every 100 rounds... go much over a thousand and you'll wish you had though.

Your groups should not be 'significantly' worse with a suppressor, at least they haven't with any ammo I've used, often it will tighten them up.

Tell us about your suppressor; does it use a 'wipe'? Look at your end cap, does it appear you are betting any baffle strikes? If possible, take it apart and look for any damage to the baffles.

Have you shot it at paper? or just steel plates? From a rest? If not, shoot it un & suppressed at paper.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And dump the 45 grain stuff.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I would bet barrel not trued, baffle strikes, poor ammo?? they all go together. Rio7

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have had it apart twice to clean the suppressor. Silencer Co Warlock.

I don't see any indication of a baffle strike, but I put another 100 rounds through over the weekend and something is definitely up with getting wild fliers.

I cleaned after the first 150 rounds, and am going to give it a cleaning again and inspect it.

It is quiet, but its driving me nuts at the moment.

I was expecting the suppressor to change point of impact, but this set up is just not giving consistent accuracy.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What ammo would you gentlemen recommend for suppressor use?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I cleaned the gun and suppressor again last night. I will shoot again and see if there is any improvement. No signs of a baffle strike.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

For decent accuracy and the price==> for target shooting/plinking at steel, I use CCI Standard Velocity.

For hunting (CCI SV is a RN solid bullet) I have Win Subsonics and a couple of flavors of CCI Subsonics. I've also used Aguila Subsonics, they're decent, but I like CCI's ammo better. Right now it may be whatever you can find.

I buy CCI SV by the case, only with 'free' shipping. Target Sports is my go to, but you sometimes need to get on the notify list.

I have heard some of the 'newer' coated 22LR ammo is cleaner (less crap to clean out of the suppressor), But I have not tried any yet.

I do not recommend any Remington rimfire for suppressor use... had too many go supersonic, not to mention it's not that accurate. Hopefully this will change since Remington has changed hands again. It didn't improve when the poorly named 'Freedom Group" owned the name.

Do you have another threaded gun, a rifle perhaps? that you can try your suppressor on to test for accuracy issues? As somebody mentioned above the barrel threading could be mis-aligned. I've not had an issue, but I've read of guys claiming the factory threading on their guns was mis-aligned.

Jerry

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Not yet, but I am trying to think of which other .22lr I own that I could either have threaded, or purchase a threaded barrel for.

I will try dome different ammo. I have CCI subsonic, standard velocity, and winchester subs on hand, so I will give them a go.

I thought I was in high cotton with the Federal 45 grn subs as they are advertised as being the cleanest option with a suppressor.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even without baffle or endcap strikes, the alignment could still be far enough off that the pressures can destabilize a bullet as its' traveling through the suppressor bore, especially if the bullet is a little different than the others. (little slower/weaker/inconsistent charge).

Often, with misalignment, if you're not getting bonafide baffle strikes, the group will be inconsistent and with baffle strikes, will often be more like a shotgun pattern than a grouping.

You could get an alignment rod and stick down the barrel and through the suppressor to confirm/eliminate alignment. I think everyone that owns a suppressor should do that at bare minimum for every caliber that they own a can for.

I would put some CCI standards (1070 fps) through the gun and see how that works. They generally cycle in everything and decent suppressor ammo.

I'd still want to make sure that all the threads on the barrel, mount, and suppressor tube are aligned properly. Especially if this is a new suppressor or firearm.

Another thought, if you have cleaned it recently, did you install the rear cap onto the same end of the silencer tube? It could also possibly be the silencer tube itself.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Put it on a .223 and let the centerfire clean the crap out of it. That's what I do

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 02/08/23.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by johna1
Even without baffle or endcap strikes, the alignment could still be far enough off that the pressures can destabilize a bullet as its' traveling through the suppressor bore, especially if the bullet is a little different than the others. (little slower/weaker/inconsistent charge).

Often, with misalignment, if you're not getting bonafide baffle strikes, the group will be inconsistent and with baffle strikes, will often be more like a shotgun pattern than a grouping.

You could get an alignment rod and stick down the barrel and through the suppressor to confirm/eliminate alignment. I think everyone that owns a suppressor should do that at bare minimum for every caliber that they own a can for.

I would put some CCI standards (1070 fps) through the gun and see how that works. They generally cycle in everything and decent suppressor ammo.

I'd still want to make sure that all the threads on the barrel, mount, and suppressor tube are aligned properly. Especially if this is a new suppressor or firearm.

Another thought, if you have cleaned it recently, did you install the rear cap onto the same end of the silencer tube? It could also possibly be the silencer tube itself.

I did swap ends on the suppressor, the manufacturer's directions said it would work either way as long as the baffles were pointed the right direction, etc. What I found going through the manual is that the baffles do have to be orientated or "clocked" the same, not just snapped together. I think that may be what is destabilizing the bullets. The first time I did this, I just stacked them and snapped them together without paying attention to "clocking" them to be in an identical orientation front to back.

Last night I snapped the baffles together with them all aligned/clocked exactly the same from front to back. I'm hoping that works, or that a change in ammo will resolve this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Put it on a .223 and let the centerfire clean the crap out of it. That's what I do
This will literally destroy a lot of Rimfire cans.

Jerry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Interested in your reasoning.

I know you shoot a bunch of suppressed high quality rimfires.

As rimfire ammo is opening up I was going to test the 45gr loads from CCI and Federal.

The CCI 45 HP shoot OK so far and cycles dirty semi autos better than Eley 38 gr HPs in a Tippman M4-22 but I have not gone further.

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

I would also doubt it would do any cleaning and just pack the fouling in deeper.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 02/08/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Never shot the CCI stuff, but never had decent accuracy outta either the fed or winny 45 grainers, in multiple of my rifles and 3 suppressed pistols, so I gave up on it. Ended up letting the kids run it thru theirs, just to burn it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Never shot the CCI stuff, but never had decent accuracy outta either the fed or winny 45 grainers, in multiple of my rifles and 3 suppressed pistols, so I gave up on it. Ended up letting the kids run it thru theirs, just to burn it up.

Thanks.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Tis a puzzle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't shoot fer crap...

Don't even like my .22 GTC rounds either...

Don't work on the Sneezer either...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

True... I thought is was a 22 caliber can that could be used on anything of that caliber like mine...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan,

Do you have a link about your .22 GTC

Thanks,

Jerry

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My can is a Gemtech and the baffles have to be offset, not lined up from front to back. But I'd do however the MFG says to do it.

I also like CCI SV for pretty much anything, I get better accuracy with Wolf Match Extra, Eley subsonic and Eley 10X but SV is close enough.
5 CCI SV at 50 yards 10/22 with 16" Federson barrel
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 16 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.