Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Better dump the device you are posting with Bugger.

I don't buy anything from communist China! It's like buying from the Nazi's in 1940.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/02/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Factory barrel in 25-06. The extremely long neck area of the chamber allowed lots of hard baked carbon to accumulate over the years.....took a lot of effort to remove it completely. Using Lapua 30-06 cases sized down, the necks lengthened enough to bring them to within .010-.012 of the end of the chamber. The necks also thickened up .0015 per side which brought the neck clearance down to .006 instead of the .009 it was with 25-06 cases. Win/Win and it shoots crazy good crazy for a factory barrel.

Good shootin' -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Muzzle damage due to poor cleaning rod use:

Mark across the rifling just behind the muzzle, likely from the spud on a bore sighter lashup:

You can do something about the muzzle, you can do something about the throat area (within reason) and everything else in the middle is....well....whatever it is. wink

Good shootin' -Al
At one time I was a very serious Rimfire Benchrest shooter. I had a great shooting rifle that gradually went away. Turns out, I killed the muzzle end of the barrel with sloopy cleaning rod use. I cut off the end, recrowned and it went back to great shooting !!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Txgunrunner
Yes sir, the Teslong.
This thread has quite a few thoughts on the different models: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...arch/true/teslong-borescope#Post17978304
Teslong had a new collapsible borescope at SHOT.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don't buy anything from communist China! It's like buying from the Nazi's in 1940.

You might want to check out the history of U.S/German trade relations during WW2.

The U.S. supplied the Luftwaffe with specialized oils, Henry Ford supplied them with parts funneled through Ford's European factories, etc, etc.

'Economic Trade With The Third Reich' is a pretty good reference on this...pretty eye opening.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"The Inner Lives of Rifle Barrels" appeared in the October 2022 issue of Rifle--and contains a LOT more detail on using borescopes than possible in typical Campfire "sound"-bites, partly because I've been using them for over 20 years.

That was a very well done article, John. cool

I love my Teslong for the basics it provides, including the ability to easily capture images. But when I have to "....get to the rat killin' " as The Duke would say, the Hawkeye comes out. It also helped identify an issue in one of these actions. The SuperNova LED light source is a nice addition, though certainly not needed.

Good shootin' -Al

Thanks, Al.

Evidently we've had similar experiences with bore-scopes! But there's no doubt a Teslong (or similar digital model) beats the heck out of no bore-scope at all!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
At one time I was a very serious Rimfire Benchrest shooter. I had a great shooting rifle that gradually went away. Turns out, I killed the muzzle end of the barrel with sloopy cleaning rod use. I cut off the end, recrowned and it went back to great shooting !!

Absolutely! Most fixate on the chamber end, which is natural. But the muzzle is where a good percentage of the magic happens. Or doesn't.

It's like bullets. You can always tell if someone really knows what matters by which end of the bullet they examine first. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Notice The Inner Lives of Rifle Barrels is by-lined October but the cover date is November-December issue number 325 as correctly noted. While I'm picking nits the heading for Borescope Tested Handloads references 5 shot groups and the footer says group size is the average of 3 shots. Could be the average of 3 groups of 5 shot each or maybe not?

I have a Gradient Hawkeye with the right angle adapter and the high power light source because I like my toys and hate to be left behind. I even have a Hawkeye specific bore guide like a cleaning rod guide. Like wind flags I couldn't stand it if the guy down the highway has one and I don't. One of the TV cop shows used a genuine Gradient much like mine through a drilled hole to guide picking the lock on a gun safe for extra pride of ownership.

Sadly the directions didn't include enough to make me an expert on what I'm seeing no matter how many times I read the directions and look again. I'm in no hurry so all the chemical cleaning miracles work about the same for me though some do their magic faster and I don't play the is it clean yet? game.

A pro I know who can claim deductions for professional tools and equipment but has the professional's endless list of things he needs assures me a souped up MiniMag Lite is as bright as anything and he has learned to live with the slight color distortions of slightly colored bright light.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 02/03/23. Reason: pick nits
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clark,

Sent you a PM....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
100 bucks from Amazon.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the flexible Teslong that plugs into a phone and the rigid MS450.

.223 Savage barrel: (by the way, very accurate)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

For comparison, a PacNor barrel in .308 Win.

6.8 barrel with a few miles, still shot good.

I've used it to determine how well cleaning solvents work, of the ones I've tried, Patch-out does real good. These photos were taken after a post-shooting cleaning session.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That 223 looks like my Tikka 6.5 CM that shoots bugholes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm beginning to think washboards is where it's at.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Never believe a borescope until you've put the gun on paper.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Remington725
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Whitetail in Montana,

"The Inner Lives of Rifle Barrels" appeared in the October 2022 issue of Rifle--and contains a LOT more detail on using borescopes than possible in typical Campfire "sound"-bites, partly because I've been using them for over 20 years.

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/magazine-back-issues/

Rifle #325 - I have a back issue on order now. $10 total, including postage. Looking forward to reading the article.

Got my back issue in the mail and reading MD’s article now

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is a pic from a 38-55 barrel that had about 300 rounds of black powder loads. I was using stainless steel pins to clean the brass at the time and I believe one of them slipped by me and made it into the next load. I went from shooting pretty well in that match to not being able to hit the target pretty quickly. The gouge was deep enough to pull fibers from a cotton patch. After this little incident, I bought one of the teslong scopes for myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
😳😳😳😳

Thought stainless pins had no drawbacks. The total cats meow.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by elkchsr
This is a pic from a 38-55 barrel that had about 300 rounds of black powder loads. I was using stainless steel pins to clean the brass at the time and I believe one of them slipped by me and made it into the next load. I went from shooting pretty well in that match to not being able to hit the target pretty quickly. The gouge was deep enough to pull fibers from a cotton patch. After this little incident, I bought one of the teslong scopes for myself.

John,

I remember when you brought that rifle by our house, so we could look through the barrel with my Gradient Lens Hawkeye! It was pretty astonishing....

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ouch.....it pains me to see that, sir. frown

That's not the first time it's happened with stainless pins. It's just one of the reasons that I don't tumble or vibrate brass to clean it.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.