Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longhaul trucking count?
3100 miles/wk in a gutless 55mph truck.
With at least one day off a week?
Worked until I could sleep, slept until I had to go.
Whole different situation that doesn't exist anymore.

Familiar with the Dupont Schedule.
Any company that does it is signaling the value they put on employees.
Commodities to be maximized.
Not humans living a life.

Best shift I've ever worked was 8 10 hour days, 6 off and repeat. 5ish to 3ish.
Always had to work Friday.
Was a driving job and not hours of service legal, but it was great.
After 8 days you were glad to be off.
Having 6 off every other week, I often was happy to go back to work.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the rotating shift for 15 months and never again. When you rotate off nights you burn up at a minimum 1-2 day of your off week just trying to get right. Some guys will try and stay up all day hit the bed around 1900. By day 3 you might be back to sleeping normal, now your 7 days off has turned into 4. But by then you ready for days. Yeah that’s why their is pay bump and it’s not worth it. Those shifts are a young man’s game far as I’m concerned. Oh going to nights you stay up until 1-2 a.m in the morning on your off days getting ready for nights. So yeah you lose minimum 2 of your days off cause you are sleeping during the day until 1-2 in the afternoon. Yeah go back and tell them you changed your mind unless they are paying $10-$15 bucks more it’s not worth it. I rather be broke and work straight days. Versus making money and being miserable. You will see about midnight when you are fighting to stay up slamming every make of energy drink on the market.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Did it for less than 24 months and walked away. Worked out a six-week notice trying to help out coworkers.
Was a situation that had total team running shorthanded by three positions. Union. Town and union in grievance, so things were at a stalemate.
And two actives were going through medical issues. They are passed on now.
If someone did not show up for relief, you were forcibly (by law and contract) held over for a double.
After MANY doubles of 2nd and 3rd shifts, (B and C squads) I hit the wall.
The final straw was a hold-over from 2nd, to 3rd, then through entire 1st of the next day. Was on roster for that 2nd but made them call in OT and refused to stay.
Recovery? LOL!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep forgot about the 4 hour holds if they are short they ask for volunteers. If you live close by no big deal I guess. I did a couple learned my lesson on why not to do them.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Buy you some light blocking shades for your bedroom, and tell everybody when you are working nights. It is a hard thing for some to get used to, and whomever invented those stupid schedules had a black heart.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've worked varying shifts my entire adult life (I'm 50) other than the last 2 years where I have been -M-F 7-3. I'm going back to a shift work position partly due to hating M-F. My favorite shifts ever where when I was a flight nurse. 2 24hr shifts a week. Work Sun/Tuesday ine week, them Thu/Sat the next. 8 days off with 16 hrs of OT a pay.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,056
Posts18,482,343
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.