Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here's my 300 win mag load, 3300+fps and dead nuts accurate in a few different rifles.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Tried Hunter.

I got better velocity with BG.

Like you kept telling another poster here in another thread, "stop thinking about energy"!!! i could care the fu ck less about top speeds, as long as the load is consistently accurate. My hunting rifles use scopes with ballistic type reticles, or dials I trust. You shoot a 7mm08 a lot and have made some nice long shots on big critters. That is commendable. But if one load is 50-100 fps slower and shoots better, I'm going to use the one that is considerably more accurate/precise. That load above with the measly ol 150 partition flies very well out to 400 yards. That's not far, but like I've said, that is what I've tested it to. Many times. It will easily and consistently make kills out to that range. No problems whatsoever, and that is with a cheap (but proven) Burris FFII 3-9x40. As for your loading style, I've said this before, but it is borderline reckless. You like starting out at top book loads and then adjust OAL to find a decent load, where I "WORK UP" and find loads by means of OCW. Most times keeping bullets at a reliable .020" off the lands. That is the safe way to develop loads. It is funny how you kept telling one poster over and over again, don't worry about "energy", yet you continually focus on high speeds. That schidt just doesn't compute...

Accuracy is implicit.

Spare 7mm-08:

Primary 7mm-08:

I don’t feel reckless…

2790 fps with the above bullets isn’t pushing the envelope at all.

Do what works for you, I’ll do what works for me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget it is a ball powder.

A magnum primer can be of big help.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Here's my 300 win mag load, 3300+fps and dead nuts accurate in a few different rifles.
That looks and sounds nasty!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Don't forget it is a ball powder.

A magnum primer can be of big help.

That’s what I use.

A little windy, left to right.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Have killed a couple moose with a 200 gr. partition over 62 gr. Hunter. Fed case and probably cci 250 primer. My magnetospeed said 2600!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been using Ramshot Hunter for the 178 ELD-X and 180 Berger Elite Hunter as well as other 180's from my 30-06 for some time now. Consistently good accuracy and velocity.

Took a cow elk with the 178 ELD-X a few weeks ago, and in 2021 took a fat muley buck with the 180 Berger, both with Ramshot Hunter. Good powder for that bullet weight.

Guy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Cascade
I've been using Ramshot Hunter for the 178 ELD-X and 180 Berger Elite Hunter as well as other 180's from my 30-06 for some time now. Consistently good accuracy and velocity.

Took a cow elk with the 178 ELD-X a few weeks ago, and in 2021 took a fat muley buck with the 180 Berger, both with Ramshot Hunter. Good powder for that bullet weight.

Guy

I developed a load for my brother’s Tikka 30-06 using Hunter and the 178 ELDX.

Can you give me the specifics of your experience?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just picked up 8lbs of Hunter...can't beat the price.
Going to try it in my 270, and 7-08... and prolly my 280.
I got a chitt load of 150's for my 7-08...so hopefully get the same results as BSA

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love the stuff.... Burned about 5 pounds of it in various chamberings. Really shines in the 243, 7-08 and 270.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tried Hunter.

I got better velocity with BG.

Like you kept telling another poster here in another thread, "stop thinking about energy"!!! i could care the fu ck less about top speeds, as long as the load is consistently accurate. My hunting rifles use scopes with ballistic type reticles, or dials I trust. You shoot a 7mm08 a lot and have made some nice long shots on big critters. That is commendable. But if one load is 50-100 fps slower and shoots better, I'm going to use the one that is considerably more accurate/precise. That load above with the measly ol 150 partition flies very well out to 400 yards. That's not far, but like I've said, that is what I've tested it to. Many times. It will easily and consistently make kills out to that range. No problems whatsoever, and that is with a cheap (but proven) Burris FFII 3-9x40. As for your loading style, I've said this before, but it is borderline reckless. You like starting out at top book loads and then adjust OAL to find a decent load, where I "WORK UP" and find loads by means of OCW. Most times keeping bullets at a reliable .020" off the lands. That is the safe way to develop loads. It is funny how you kept telling one poster over and over again, don't worry about "energy", yet you continually focus on high speeds. That schidt just doesn't compute...

Accuracy is implicit.

Spare 7mm-08:

Primary 7mm-08:

I don’t feel reckless…

2790 fps with the above bullets isn’t pushing the envelope at all.

Do what works for you, I’ll do what works for me.

P

Thanks Pharm. I agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by M1Garand
A great powder, one of my top ones in 270 Win. I just loaded some with 178 ELDX's in the '06 but haven't had the chance to get out and fire them yet.

Let us know how it does in that 06, when you get a chance to shoot them. I was thinking about trying those bullets next. Probably colder than a sumb itch over there right now.

It was, warmed up and high of 38 Friday so I may try to get out then and see how they do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cascade

Guy

Nice, what kid of velocities were you getting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only one observation so far. I loaded some rounds today in my 280 AI with 162 ELD-Ms as a test load. My observation? This stuff meters like air.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I have only one observation so far. I loaded some rounds today in my 280 AI with 162 ELD-Ms as a test load. My observation? This stuff meters like air.
That's a big reason I went all in on Ramshot. They might not always be the absolute best match, but they've always been good enough or better for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I love how big game, and hunter meters. So smooth. The same can be said for StaBall 6.5. Great stuff..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, over the weekend, I found out I am down to my last pound of Hunter. I went to three different gun stores today and not a one of them had it. I guess all of you are buying! 😂

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hudge
Well, over the weekend, I found out I am down to my last pound of Hunter. I went to three different gun stores today and not a one of them had it. I guess all of you are buying! 😂

Order it online. The nice thing about Hunter, is it is still fairly inexpensive. The LGS here has had an 8 pounder here for over 3 months. It is priced around $260.00..

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah all the Ramshot powders I have tried are very reasonably priced, I bought 4lbs of TAC at My LGS the other day for $31.95 per ....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah all the Ramshot powders I have tried are very reasonably priced, I bought 4lbs of TAC at My LGS the other day for $31.95 per ....Hb

I respect them because they have not really been trying to gouge us like the Hodgdon has. I'll keep using them for sure. I've been buying their powders for around $30/pound for the last 2 years. Thanks Ramshot!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 37 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.