Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This from Allan Jones, formerly of CCI/Speer:

“Years ago, CCI made only two .22 LR products: Mini Mag and standard velocity. Company lore says when regular final acceptance testing showed a loading lot of standard velocity to be exceptionally accurate, a QA worker would tie a green paper tag to the metal pans holding that lot prior to final packaging. Several of the specialty match equipment suppliers had standing orders for any exceptionally accurate standard-velocity ammo.

“The original CCI Green Tag was born as lot-selected CCI standard-velocity ammo, but that has now changed. Improvements in tooling and loading equipment mean Green Tag is a purpose-built competition product, and it has been for 40+ years. In fact, the tables have turned; any lots that fail to make the unbelievably tight Green Tag accuracy specs get packaged as very accurate CCI standard-velocity ammo.”

That sure explains why CCI SVRNs perform admirably sometimes, and other times not so much.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/what-goes-into-match-ammo/456745

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm. That's interesting.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I shot a little green tag, but never was impressed with the results. I’d get better accuracy out of lesser priced European ammunition.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A couple of my 22’s prefer CCI Blazer to SV and both 36 and 40 gr. Mini-mags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That seems to be the nature of the game with rimfire ammo. If your rifle doesn't like what their test barrel likes, you're not on the same page as the factory... time to keep testing

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My opinion is...green tag isway overated ...especially the thee price tag.....

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by robertham1
I shot a little green tag, but never was impressed with the results. I’d get better accuracy out of lesser priced European ammunition.
I’m with you. I’m not a Green Tag shooter. But, I do most certainly shoot mass quantities of CCI Standard Velocity Round Nose, and CCI Standard Velocity Hollow Point when appropriate for critters. For precision shooting, I go with LAPUA Midas+ and Center X, whenever I’m willing to pay their high price for hitting small things at extended range.

In my experience, CCI Standard Velocity Hollow Point ammunition is remarkably consistent to 50 yards:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bear1998

My experience is limited to a single 100-round box that’s still got some in it, as it never shined in anything I tried it in over the years. Can’t justify the cost when there are better rounds that cost less.

My .22 focus has shifted a bit as sitting at the bench trying to squeeze the nth bit of accuracy with ammo I have no skin in, so to speak, has lost its luster. The new barrel on my 457 does nicely with SV, certainly as well as I can shoot with the Romeo 5, so for now I’m focusing on my shooting, not little clusters. Time will tell where this goes, and how.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I read threads like this, it puts me off trying Green Tag.

You never know until you try, but I agree with Pappy, there are other brands that shoot well at the same or cheaper price. I am reluctant to lay out the money for a sleeve.🙂

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve not been impressed with the Green Tag. I am consistently impressed with the CCI standard velocity. A close second is the Aguila standard velocity with Eley priming.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bear1998

Yup........so is pistol match....luck of the draw on all 3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
When I read threads like this, it puts me off trying Green Tag.

You never know until you try, but I agree with Pappy, there are other brands that shoot well at the same or cheaper price. I am reluctant to lay out the money for a sleeve.🙂
If Turdoe came to relieve you of your firearms personally you'd suck him off for the pleasure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.