Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
These appear to be discontinued? I'm curious fornthose who've owned them how are they regarded. They're small but really flat. There's also the Kimber and Springfield Armory versions which look similar. Have always wanted to try one of these small single actions but maybe I missed the boat.

Are these worth tracking one down?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got the 938. I bought mine when they first came out. Trigger is stiff and feels gritty. I think there are better options out there now. Hasbeen.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Also have a stiff and gritty triggered 938. The ergos work well for me, it's reliable, the trigger lets the gun down though. As far as better options, look at anything polymer framed striker fired pistol about the same size.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can’t compare the two… no knowledge about the 238, wife had and liked the 938. Trigger is heavier than I like, but not too bad. We also have the 22 RF conversion, which is kinda nice for low (no) recoil, low cost shooting! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had both, but now have neither. I liked the P238 better because it was lighter and much easier to shoot. I only got rid of that one because I could not get ammo for it in the early 2010s. I wouldn't mind still having it. The P938 was a bit more harsh to shoot. I agree with the comments about the trigger. I did find it best to keep the rails well lubed on both and found that they would begin to malfunction if you shot 50 rounds through them without re-lubing. That made them too finicky by current standards but fine for self-defense guns.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
These appear to be discontinued? I'm curious fornthose who've owned them how are they regarded. They're small but really flat. There's also the Kimber and Springfield Armory versions which look similar. Have always wanted to try one of these small single actions but maybe I missed the boat.

I carry a P938 99% of the time.

They currently have three different P938 models on the Sig website.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I've had the P238 for many years, and love it. I don't think it's ever jammed. I carry it quite a lot, when I need zero chance of printing, either IWB or in an Alabama Pocket Holster.

Springfield Armory took up manufacturing these little guns (exact copies) after Sig stopped. Not sure if they're still doing it, but likely are.

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a P938 and absolutely love it. I almost ruined it to get it to it's lovable state though. It came with a plastic trigger that had a real gritty feel to it. It broke around 8 lbs. I took it apart and put a metal trigger shoe in, cleaned it all up and polished everything and put a reduced power spring in. It's been so long ago I can't remember the spring weight now. This reduced the the pull down to a little over 4 lbs and it's clean and crisp and 100% reliable. The problem was that little pin just below the slide release has to come out and someone at Sig Sauer doesn't want you to do that! I have never had so much trouble getting a pin out in my life. I ruined 4 punches and when it finally went I had destroyed the finish on the action. I had to patch up the mess and Cerakote the action. IMO, the Burnt Bronze finish made it all worth it in the end wink. Now this is the most accurate sub compact pistol I have ever shot! IMO, see the grips? These are the ones you want for your P938. They allow you to hang on to the little pistol and follow up shots are so much easier after they were installed. IMO, great little pistol after you show it a little love.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
I've got a P938 and absolutely love it. I almost ruined it to get it to it's lovable state though. It came with a plastic trigger that had a real gritty feel to it. It broke around 8 lbs. I took it apart and put a metal trigger shoe in, cleaned it all up and polished everything and put a reduced power spring in. It's been so long ago I can't remember the spring weight now. This reduced the the pull down to a little over 4 lbs and it's clean and crisp and 100% reliable. The problem was that little pin just below the slide release has to come out and someone at Sig Sauer doesn't want you to do that! I have never had so much trouble getting a pin out in my life. I ruined 4 punches and when it finally went I had destroyed the finish on the action. I had to patch up the mess and Cerakote the action. IMO, the Burnt Bronze finish made it all worth it in the end wink. Now this is the most accurate sub compact pistol I have ever shot! IMO, see the grips? These are the ones you want for your P938. They allow you to hang on to the little pistol and follow up shots are so much easier after they were installed. IMO, great little pistol after you show it a little love.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

I have also changed the plastic trigger to a SS aftermarket trigger. Polished everything but did not replace any springs. Still have a heavy, gritty trigger. Agree pin was a bugger to remove. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have had a 938 for more than 5 years. My local gun store allowed me to go over and examine several 938s until I found one that had a great trigger. Mine is clean and crisp and about 4 1/2 pounds. It also happens to be extremely accurate and will keep most stuff inside 2 inches at 25 yards. I carry mine daily in a horsehide pocket holster. Bottom line is whether the one you get has a good trigger. If it does have a decent trigger, I would snap it up. I have since found a 22lr conversion which seems to have become rare and it feeds and functions that as well. I got lucky if you read what others report.

Last edited by ElJuero; 02/09/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I found a 938 and a Springfield 911 380acp. The Springfield had a superior trigger. I think both are discontinued so that's an negative strike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found a 938 and a Springfield 911 380acp. The Springfield had a superior trigger. I think both are discontinued so that's an negative strike

P938s are still on the Sig website. What makes you think they are discontinued?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I've had both, but now have neither. I liked the P238 better because it was lighter and much easier to shoot. I only got rid of that one because I could not get ammo for it in the early 2010s. I wouldn't mind still having it. The P938 was a bit more harsh to shoot. I agree with the comments about the trigger. I did find it best to keep the rails well lubed on both and found that they would begin to malfunction if you shot 50 rounds through them without re-lubing. That made them too finicky by current standards but fine for self-defense guns.

I've had my 938 since April 2017 - I've put about 400 rounds through it without cleaning or lubing - finally, the last 50 rounds I had to push the slide occasionally to fully seat it due to it not coming forward to full lock during firing - due to accumulated dirt/carbon build-up.

That was planned, I wanted to see how finicky it was - not bad for a semi-auto (my Baby Eagle took over 1,000 rounds before showing the same symptoms).

Just after buying it I installed a pair of Hogue grips - the improvement was massive (aided by buying 3 of the extended magazines with the finger hook).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackbat242
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I've had my 938 since April 2017 - I've put about 400 rounds through it without cleaning or lubing - finally, the last 50 rounds I had to push the slide occasionally to fully seat it due to it not coming forward to full lock during firing - due to accumulated dirt/carbon build-up.

That was planned, I wanted to see how finicky it was - not bad for a semi-auto (my Baby Eagle took over 1,000 rounds before showing the same symptoms).

Just after buying it I installed a pair of Hogue grips - the improvement was massive (aided by buying 3 of the extended magazines with the finger hook).

That’s good to hear. I had problems with the P938 when I would run a few magazines of 124 grain Gold Dots through it in a short period of time. The gun got hot and the rails dried out pretty quick. In fact, I switched to grease for the rails. It didn’t bother me because I didn’t need it to shoot more in one stretch than the 6 or so magazines I had. I will say that I am an early adopter of new technology, so that could have been a part of the issue. I had a 3 digit serial number gun that was replaced by Sig after the second trip to Sig. The replacement still was an early version. Sig tends to do rolling upgrades.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have the 238 for my EDC pocket gun. It goes everywhere 24/7/365 with me. I’ll often carry my G19 or G20 depending on where I’m going but the 238 stays in my pocket. It’s never failed and at 25 yards I can easily stack them into minute of bad guys noggin. Modern ammunition makes the 380 a better option than in the past.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I have the 238 for my EDC pocket gun. It goes everywhere 24/7/365 with me. I’ll often carry my G19 or G20 depending on where I’m going but the 238 stays in my pocket. It’s never failed and at 25 yards I can easily stack them into minute of bad guys noggin. Modern ammunition makes the 380 a better option than in the past.
Like.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had a 238 for about 5 years, it's never bobbled and is very accurate. The trigger is clean and crisp perhaps 4 pounds. I like that it is basically a 1911 platform. Big bonus is that the wife has no issues racking the slide. Many others she could not.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'll look into the 238 and possibly springfield 911 380acp. All these are hard to find.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll look into the 238 and possibly springfield 911 380acp. All these are hard to find.
I remember when gun stores had dozens of P238s on display, in all sorts of varieties of color and design. They were like a collectable series.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought a 938 somewhere around ‘14 or ‘15. The trigger was good so I haven’t changed it out. It’s a nice light carry and is very accurate. I bought one of the models that had the factory Hogue grips and 7 round magazines. That set up is just right for my grip preference.

I’ve never shot a 238 so I can’t compare. The 938 is snappy but I don’t find it uncomfortable to shoot. Mine has been reliable with various ammo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.