Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
New to the red/green dot optics for a pistol (22). I know that you can spend 100 to 500 for the optic but what should i be really looking for. What makes one brand better that another, I guess features is what I mean. Probably ease of use is most important. I don't think spending the most money is important if I don't find it useful.
Thanks,

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Probably the best bargain in a red dot right now is with Midway and Cameraland they both have the Sightron on sale for $120, make sure you get the 2 MOA dot not the 6 MOA dot.
Just put one on my CZ and works great

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have the Sightmark MSpec Mini Shot 3 moa on my Buckmark.
No problems so far.
Have another on a turkey 12 ga. No probs.

However, I was wanting a 2 moa, more crisp dot. Have been looking around.
Tried a Prism sight, on my AR. ACSS reticle, battery fails and glass etched, still usable.
Illumination is cool (horseshoe and chevron only).

First one worked but when zeroed had reticle noticeably off to right.
Sent it back and they replaced it........with a brand new one that has ghost image in vertical. The Chevron more of a fuzzy triangle now, than an inverted V.

Sending it back. Didn't even shoot it, got it today (fast and polite service).........but the replacement not right.

So.......Im pissed off enough to say screw it and upgrade to the $$$ stuff.
Again, my chinesium Sightmark Mini shot M specs have worked fine, but the dot isn't as crisp as Id like.

Looks like upper end stuff only from now on. Not cheap, but hopefully no dissapointments.
Wish the Aimpoint Acro P2 was 2 moa and not 3.5.
The H2 is a few hundred more.
For a basic tube style RDS.

Really like an open reflex on handgun, but have yet to see what is decent. maybe the Eotech Eflx. Does it come in 2 moa or 3 moa, how about dot crispness?

May do an Aimpoint Acro P2 on my deer Contender bbl. But for my Buckmark Id like a crips 2 moa and open if possible.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/09/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Holosun 507K green on a Sig 365. It has the option for different reticles - dot, circle or dot inside circle. I’m a fan of Holosun, I’m looking at a 510 for my turkey gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
However, I was wanting a 2 moa, more crisp dot.........

Trijicon RMR's are pretty high end on quality. They have defined dots on their sights. They can be pricey but the quality is there too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Aren't Red/Green optics made in Canada and held on with duct tape?
Sorry, I couldn't resist..

The Sightron is the best deal going right now if you're wanting to see if they are for you.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have the Sightmark MSpec Mini Shot 3 moa on my Buckmark.
No problems so far.
Have another on a turkey 12 ga. No probs.

However, I was wanting a 2 moa, more crisp dot. Have been looking around.
Tried a Prism sight, on my AR. ACSS reticle, battery fails and glass etched, still usable.
Illumination is cool (horseshoe and chevron only).

First one worked but when zeroed had reticle noticeably off to right.
Sent it back and they replaced it........with a brand new one that has ghost image in vertical. The Chevron more of a fuzzy triangle now, than an inverted V.

Sending it back. Didn't even shoot it, got it today (fast and polite service).........but the replacement not right.

So.......Im pissed off enough to say screw it and upgrade to the $$$ stuff.
Again, my chinesium Sightmark Mini shot M specs have worked fine, but the dot isn't as crisp as Id like.

Looks like upper end stuff only from now on. Not cheap, but hopefully no dissapointments.
Wish the Aimpoint Acro P2 was 2 moa and not 3.5.
The H2 is a few hundred more.
For a basic tube style RDS.

Really like an open reflex on handgun, but have yet to see what is decent. maybe the Eotech Eflx. Does it come in 2 moa or 3 moa, how about dot crispness?

May do an Aimpoint Acro P2 on my deer Contender bbl. But for my Buckmark Id like a crips 2 moa and open if possible.

I have a Primary Arms Cylops 1x in FDE you’re welcome to try. No issues except I found the reticle a bit busy and went with a Romeo 5. If you like it, you can send me $100 plus the shipping, say $110. If not send it back. PM if you’re interested. Lots of YouTube stuff on it you can check out.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks for the offer, but I'm done w PA optics.
The G2 Cyclops 1x is cool idea/package, like the more simple ACSS reticle it has too.
But 2 for 2 not quite right, there aint gonna be a 3rd try.

Their folks have been speedy and polite, CS has been fine.
Just getting less than good stuff in.....proly due to demand, manufacturer (Chinese) QC dropping.
Shame, would have been a cool optic.

Looks like Im gonna have to run an Aimpoint ACRO P2 on my handgun, and maybe an H2 on a rifle.
Dunno about my AR, wanted illum for some closer yote hunting, looks like Steiner 1-4X.
Doug has em on sale.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sickleave started 2 days ago (minor surgery).
Have spent a LOT of hours on YT and web trying to find something usable (ouchy- can't sleep)
Guy on a local forum just got the Eotech Eflx and it crapped out on him.
Must be something in the water.

This sickleave is gonna get expensive, esp with Doug's specials at Camerland. Just sayin' wink
Got a scope comin for some possible yote poppin.

He's proly gonna get me for more.....see what RDS stuff he has LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 02/10/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck. I’m on an optics journey of sorts myself, hopefully traveling to stuff that works for what I do.

Pretty pleased with the two Romeo 5s I bought, though they seem to be a bit indecisive, ala Leupold, about adjusting at times. Actually found myself tapping on them with a knife handle😜

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot a lot with red dots on my Sig P320 X5 Legions. I'm using Romeo 3 Max's for them. Before that I used Leupold Delta Points on Glock 34's. I've had to send several dots in to both Sig and Leupold to be fixed or replaced. I got quick turnaround in those instances. How many problems you might have largely depends on how much you shoot. If you shoot 5000+ rounds a year like many competition shooters you will see some problems as the impact they take from all that slide movement has an effect. Still, they make handgun shooting a lot easier.

For someone who shoots less, you probably won't have that many issues. The Trijicon RMR's are supposed to be built well but they have a smaller window and are thus slower in competition. If you were getting one for a self defense gun, the window size is probably not an issue.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Checked out an Aimpoint Acro P1.
General size/shape/concept.
No thanks.
Acro P2 is off my list

For sport I like an open emitter type of reflex.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/12/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 77 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.