Print Thread
Hop To
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
As the article states an on-duty RCMP officer tried to shoot (poach) a caribou with his patrol carbine and ended up shooting his cruiser twice.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2023/rcmp-officer-charged-shots-fired-wildlife

RCMP officer charged after shots fired at wildlife
February 10, 2023
Bunibonibee Cree Nation (Oxford House), Manitoba

News release

Oxford House RCMP news release sign
On March 14, 2022, an on-duty RCMP officer was driving in a fully marked police vehicle on a winter road, returning to Bunibonibee Cree Nation. The officer encountered a caribou and attempted to hunt the caribou illegally.

The constable used his patrol-issued carbine rifle from his police vehicle and discharged two rounds at the caribou. However, the discharged rounds struck the police vehicle. The caribou was uninjured.

Upon return to the detachment, the officer made his supervisor aware, and an investigation was launched immediately. The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba was made aware and assumed a monitoring role. Conservation Officers with the Manitoba Department of Natural Resources and Northern Development also monitored and assisted with the investigation.

On February 9, 2023, Karl Tabares-Chevarie, 34, was charged with Use a Prohibited Firearm in a Careless Manner and Hunt Without a Licence.

In June 2022, Tabares-Chevarie resigned and was discharged from the RCMP.

Hugh
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hugh;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the week behaved itself at least mostly and you're all well on your side of the big hills.

Thanks for the post, it's interesting on several levels to me.

The first thing that occurs to me is that if you or I decided to even take our AR out of the safe now with current rules, we'd possibly face jail time. Then if we were to attempt to shoot game from a roadway without a license, we'd either be on the inside looking out or at very least be cashing in a whole pile of RRSPs for lawyer fees.

Yet he can resign - yes, yes it cost him his job - but it would cost us our job AND our freedom is my point.

Rules for thee and not for me once again here, like the RCMP officer at the gun range in Alberta, you know?

The RCMP cannot function efficiently without the cooperation of the community - as we've been seeing. Let's hope that someone in the upper management sees that before its too late for it as an effective organization, if they've not passed the point of no return already.

We'll see.

Best to you and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And he never even got the Caribou LOL

R
R
I’m gonna start calling my AR’s “patrol carbines”. Seems the Mounties are a lot more lenient on them vs AR15’s lol

R
R
Originally Posted by 673
And he never even got the Caribou LOL
Likely gut shot.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is how the media term ARs in Canada.

LEOs get "patrol-issued carbine rifles".

Civies get "assault rifles".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where was the patrol car hit ? How badly injured was it ?

Was it a semi-auto, or Full Automatic Patrol Carbine ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Dwayne, all the best for your day.

I agree with you on the blatant double standards that get applied in this case. If any one of us were to do something similar while working we would be facing a whole different level of discipline. Fired from our job would be only the start of our worries.

On the RCMP the perception of quality of service to the general public has been in a state of decline for sometime. I am not sure if the Vancouver airport incident was the start but the veil of protection and lying to serve their own was certainly lifted with the tasering and subsequent fatality.

Nova Scotia, High River are country wide memory incidents.

Is it recruitment in todays times of reduced standards or leadership issues similar to what the military is experiencing. I tend to think the RCMP have become a political organization with leadership being the issue which in turn trickles down to recruitment and incidents like the Caribou.

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
HughW;
Afternoon sir, I trust the day was a good one for you folks.

Here's Ian Runkle's take on this fiasco.

His wit is priceless on so many levels.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m putting my money on him driving a Ford Explorer and he was shooting across the hood.

Dwayne, on the bright side, this is clear evidence that they are, in fact, hunting firearms.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
When the RCMP’s leadership has sunk to such a low point as having Brenda Lucki as its commissioner, then we can only expect to see behaviour like this. If you doubt it, feel free to watch Lucki testify at the Nova Scotia mass shooting hearing and at the Emergency Act inquiry. She has been an embarrassment from the beginning, good choice on this affirmative action appointment Trudeau.

One really has to question this officer’s judgement to attempt to poach a caribou in uniform and in a marked police vehicle. Is this the type of individual that should wear the uniform? Thanks for posting Ian Runkle’s video on the incident. Really interesting that civilians can no longer use their “patrol issued like carbines” but law enforcement can use them in the commission of a crime. Interesting take on this.

Nick

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wellcometocanada A!!!!! Typical!!!!! GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.