Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A thread on the Hunters Campfire forum regarding the first things that you hunted made me recall this experience.

I was hiking up a grassy ridge while carrying a .22 rifle. I came upon two cottontails and shot one, which I thought had dropped dead. The second rabbit scurried up over the ridge and onto the other side. I followed it and as I did that, I walked past the first bunny. I looked over the ridge and, while I did that, the "dead" rabbit let out a blood curdling scream from behind me. It was startling to say the least.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I would put an injured cottontail scream right up there with a bunch of coyotes “chorusing” after sunset with sounds that raise the hair on the back of your neck. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yep…pretty loud! No wonder predators come running out of the woodwork for it!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup, every time my cat catches one. That's what most of the coyote squealers imitate.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heard my first one many years ago. Shot and wounded one with a .22 and my dog jumped on it. A hell of a sound.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some buddies and I were camping out one early fall night and about midnight we were all woken up with a bloody scream. It turns out a bobcat had caught a rabbit not far from our camp and it was screeching I assume because of the pain and fright. My dog was with me and she took off in the direction of the scream and a few seconds later we all heard this growl we are pretty sure was from the bob cat. The dog came running back and laid down beside me like it wanted protection. After the bobcat's growl that was the las we heard of the rabbit. It was pretty spooky.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a Jimmy Carter experience with one once.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes, many years ago. I was just a kid, out in the woods by myself…..scared the hell outta me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Fishing the Kansas river for flatheads at 2am perfectly quiet until a coyote or bobcat grabbed a cottontail on the bank.

MY GOD…. Just end it already… it was like a never ending horror movie

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes sir
That's what predator calls are made to imitate

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First time I heard that, I was a teenage bowhunter and was using empty 38 special cartridges for a blunt tip on my homemade wooden arrows.

My beagle chased a rabbit in a big circle, back to me and I shot it with that recurve... Oh my goodness! I had no idea that they'd scream.

Haven't heard it often, but I don't hunt rabbits all that often either. Heck of a noise.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the most hair raising noise I've heard in the outdoors is two bobcats fighting. In the moonlight deep in the national forest alone walking out with a bow killed deer in the backpack and when that ruckus kicks off about 150 yards ahead of you it will cause you stop for a minute or two to figure it out before continuing on that direction.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
11 or 12 years old, out woods loafing with my trusty Crossman, sitting just below the top of a slightly wooded ridge, mainly junipers and such with a few trees here and there, overgrown pasture, I believe. I heard a gawdawful screaming above me ... several one or two second bursts. I scrambled up to the top of the ridge, scaring off a big red-tail hawk that had obviously just nailed a rabbit. The rabbit took off too. I winged a hail Mary shot at the rabbit, clean miss, but I could see three red stripes down the length of his hindquarter where the hawk had grabbed him. Pretty cool sight for a kid to see.

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Not sure in real life. but about 35 years ago I had a cassette tape for my tape caller with a Handwritten label "cottontail being skined alive. Bought it at a small local gun shop. It called a few coyotes, but would make my dog go berserk.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When caught by an animal? Yes many times

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When caught by an animal? Yes many times

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Funny that you bring this up because I haven’t thought about this topic for 40+ years. When I was a little boy my grandpa and I were real close and we’d spend all summer traveling across the country. Grandma and grandpa had decided to buy property in Apache Junction Arizona so we started spending a lot of time there, especially spring and summer. I was always into guns, hunting, fishing and everything outdoor related with my earliest memories of shooting BB guns and archery. I had a bolt action 22 that mom and dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 and that’s what I toted in the desert around Apache Junction for rabbits. I had read about cottontails screaming and I absolutely dreaded that. I literally stayed awake at nights fearing a bad shot and having to hear them scream. I spent more time practicing with my 22 kicking a ball and hitting it on the move like a fleeing rabbit. Finally the day came that I was comfortable enough with my shooting that I committed myself to giving the rabbits a shot(pun intended). I started out on the desert trail about 7am, the desert in the springtime is magical with everything being a wonderful assault on all your senses. I had only been on the trail for a couple minutes when the first cottontail flushed behind me and to the left. I instinctively swung and fired hitting the cottontail in the head and instantly killing it. I was PROUD of my first shot and decided to collect the rabbit on my way back to grandpa and his truck unless a coyote or something came along in which case I’d use the rabbit as bait for a bigger trophy. Over the next several hours I proceeded to kill 4 more cottontails all with head shots and not a peep out of them. I killed several big jackrabbits and other assorted desert vermin including a decent sized rattler but for some reason it was the scream of a cottontail that worried me. 😂

On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've played it a lot but only heard it once. I was sitting in a deer stand and one started. It went on forever. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from or what was happening, but if it died, it wasn't a quick death.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Saw a coyote catch one while sitting in a deer stand. Dam it was loud

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've also heard a Pine Squirrel scream as it was being chased by a Pine Marten. That chase lasted about 2 or 3 minutes. I was hoping the Pine Marten would get his chattering ass but he got away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the worst and longest was when an owl caught one behind my deer blind.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've heard it here and there, including the first cottontail I shot with a .22.

Last time was maybe 5 years ago near Worland WY, and the desert was just full of little cottontails. Camped that night at a BLM site and heard a couple of them get killed by something overnight.

Was putting a new frame under a grain trailer by Coleta Illinois a few years ago. took a break and shut the welder down to hear the sounds of a screaming cottontail right behind the machine shed I was working in

Ex and I were camping in Iowa's yellow river state forest when we heard a rabbit start screaming. Ex grabbed a flashlight and said she was gonna stop it. Just then a bobcat started screaming from the other direction and the ex was quickly back at the fire with a blanket around her.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Funny that you bring this up because I haven’t thought about this topic for 40+ years. When I was a little boy my grandpa and I were real close and we’d spend all summer traveling across the country. Grandma and grandpa had decided to buy property in Apache Junction Arizona so we started spending a lot of time there, especially spring and summer. I was always into guns, hunting, fishing and everything outdoor related with my earliest memories of shooting BB guns and archery. I had a bolt action 22 that mom and dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 and that’s what I toted in the desert around Apache Junction for rabbits. I had read about cottontails screaming and I absolutely dreaded that. I literally stayed awake at nights fearing a bad shot and having to hear them scream. I spent more time practicing with my 22 kicking a ball and hitting it on the move like a fleeing rabbit. Finally the day came that I was comfortable enough with my shooting that I committed myself to giving the rabbits a shot(pun intended). I started out on the desert trail about 7am, the desert in the springtime is magical with everything being a wonderful assault on all your senses. I had only been on the trail for a couple minutes when the first cottontail flushed behind me and to the left. I instinctively swung and fired hitting the cottontail in the head and instantly killing it. I was PROUD of my first shot and decided to collect the rabbit on my way back to grandpa and his truck unless a coyote or something came along in which case I’d use the rabbit as bait for a bigger trophy. Over the next several hours I proceeded to kill 4 more cottontails all with head shots and not a peep out of them. I killed several big jackrabbits and other assorted desert vermin including a decent sized rattler but for some reason it was the scream of a cottontail that worried me. 😂

On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂

We see that with sage rats (Belding’s ground squirrel). They’ll drag a dead buddy off into a burrow to eat later.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a young kid I used to ride the tractor with dad or grandpa while they were mowing alfalfa for hay. When a younger rabbit would run out I'd jump off and try to chase it down. Caught a few, the first time one of them screamed it was a real eye opener.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep.

Two coons fighting can make a ruckus too

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
https://youtu.be/XcxKIJTb3Hg

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Jackrabbits also...

Second deer I killed was on the other side of a fallen log, just his back showing, when I shot him he went straight down out of sight, spined him... he screamed worse than any rabbit for about 30 seconds before he died... eerie.

Kent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by krp
Jackrabbits also...

Second deer I killed was on the other side of a fallen log, just his back showing, when I shot him he went straight down out of sight, spined him... he screamed worse than any rabbit for about 30 seconds before he died... eerie.

Kent

Foxes screech like cats.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Jackrabbits also...

Kent

Had a big boar hog I shot in the spine from above while in a tree blind scream like that. Drew my 44 Mag Ruger Super BlackHawk and shot him as he walked underneath my bow blind. Eerie sound. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard a rabbit scream twice in my life. One night in the summer I woke up and one was screaming in the woods next to the house. A fox probably got it. I knew the sound because I've heard a recording of it, and IIRC it was called a "Dying rabbit call". I guess it's used in predator calling. Second time was a real small young one that got behind a small wire mesh fence behind the garage with only one way out. I cornered it out of curiosity and snatched it up and was gonna put it in the woods. That thing began screaming and it wasn't even hurt. Guess they also scream out of terror.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Last time was maybe 5 years ago near Worland WY, and the desert was just full of little cottontails. Camped that night at a BLM site and heard a couple of them get killed by something overnight.

Was putting a new frame under a grain trailer by Coleta Illinois a few years ago. took a break and shut the welder down to hear the sounds of a screaming cottontail right behind the machine shed I was working in

Ex and I were camping in Iowa's yellow river state forest when we heard a rabbit start screaming. Ex grabbed a flashlight and said she was gonna stop it. Just then a bobcat started screaming from the other direction and the ex was quickly back at the fire with a blanket around her.

Yellow River also has bears and wolves. Probably cougars as well. I want to camp there but the wife wants running water and flush toilets.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep I hear it every time I go coyote hunting!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was a young kid I rode on the ladder of the combine and when a rabbit flushed out of the standing wheat into the wheat stubble, I bailed off and caught many of them, and lots of them screamed bloody murder just from me catching them.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It’s kinda like a crying baby. It’s nerve racking!

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I shot the face off one with a .222 once, and it ran at me and tried to climb my leg screaming the whole time. Stuff of nightmares. I think I'll lung shoot 'em from now on!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my Dad was attacked by a Jackrabbit he cornered one time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, many times, but not often in recent years. Last time I heard a rabbit scream was at night in the E. Kootenays of British Columbia and I'm sure it was an owl grabbing a snowshoe hare. I grew up rural and hunting a lot in E. WA when jack rabbits and cottontails were plentiful, plus we raised domestic rabbits that sometimes will scream when you merely pick them up. I remember a high pitched cottontail at the old Hover town site that we cornered in a basement and it screamed a squeeky note I will never forget. I don't like the sound, though have called a lot of critters with it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
walked through a partially cut corn field into the woods and climbed my stand before daylight. Soon as I sat down heard the god awfulest screaming exactly where I had just walked through the corn. Don't know what got it but it wasn't a quick death.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes. I snuck up on my belly to see what was happening, and stuck my head up.
Some poor rabbit had got caught in a snare.
It was whipping around in the air like a slow motion helicopter thing, attached to some sort of automatic snare trap box.
I heard a gunshot and the dirt kicked up next to my head.
I crawled back outta there.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the people in the dorm weren’t very happy with me blowing my screaming cottentail call in the hall.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Edwin264
It’s kinda like a crying baby. It’s nerve racking!

Yup, I hate it as well!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/15/23.

KB

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my Dad was attacked by a Jackrabbit he cornered one time.

Which one screamed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Squeal bunny squeal !!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup heard them a few times growing up on the farm. Also bobcat sounds like a woman screaming

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quote//"On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂"

I never knew chickens were cannibals either until I built a coop. I put a group of pullets in with the existing flock - one had a bum leg. Within a couple of hours they had killed it and stripped the carcass. No head and had gutted it and eaten the entrails. Kinda freaked me out...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was wearing a mad trapper hat and heard a whoosh. I flinched and an owl veered off, just missed my head.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A friend of mine many years ago, caught a Jack Rabbit (don’t know how) alive. He was a serious coyote hunter. He rolled the rabbits ear up tightly, then squeezed it until the rabbit screamed while he recorded it. Then used that recording for calling!

He brought his recording to work one night and played it for us……it would make you cringe! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/19/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have heard cottontails . Jack rabbits give a hellacious scream when hit less than lethal.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
when we were kids me and friend of mine were walking through a field during the summer. He spotted a tiny baby cotton tail hiding in the grass, and caught it pretty easily. It immediately started screaming really loud. My friend suddenly yelled out OUCH! and the rabbit leaped out of his hands and took off. It bit him on the thumb and he said it was very painful

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
First time I heard one,was walking a hedge row with a friend,we were 13-14 maybe,just out goofing off.
My buddy had a black lab who was tagging along.
Out of nowhere Mike pounces into the hedge and we hear the scream,Mike comes walking out of the hedge with a bunny in his mouth.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Went rabbit hunting with some family when i was about five years old. I had a single shot .22. Spotted a sitting rabbit not far away, aimed, and shot. Rabbit screamed, jumped up about my head height, then fell over dead. Pretty exciting for a little kid.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only after being shot by a 6.5 CM……multiple times! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea,
Many times.
Hate to say it but have also stepped on one to make it scream.
Great fox call !

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We had a cat get ahold of one when I was a kid. Thought someone was getting murdered.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We used to shoot them with our Ben Pearson 15 pound recurve bows and field point arrows. It was rare that they didn't scream.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Heard a few cottontails, and a few black-tailed jackrabbits.
When I was about 17, or so, I was baling hay and saw a baby cottontail in the windrow.
Stopped the tractor, and tried to rescue the little guy. He bit the heck out of me!
Drew blood through my glove!
Thereafter, I'd just kick the little bastids out, and carry on.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Great story. Thanks.

Never a cottontail but when younger ive made a few whitetails holler. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was stationed in Kodiak, I attended the Ducks Unlimited banquet. At the banquet they had a duck calling contest. It was taken seriously and the winner garnered serious cred. The contestants were shielded from the audience and judge. This will not likely come as a surprise to anyone, but I am not very good at duck calling, among the many, many things I am bad at. When my turn came, I hammered that predator (rabbit squeal) call for all that it was worth. At first there was an uneasy quiet in the audience, then when they realized what was going on, they erupted in laughter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i have heard the bunny scream .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Was going to shoot underneath a Cottontail that thought he was hiding. I only wanted him to run like Rabbits do. Evidently my .22 was shooting high. He crumpled and let out a wail that I will NEVER forget.I feel terrible about it every time I think about it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I shot one with a paintball gun once in the back hip. He jumped about 5 feet straight up in the air and screamed until he was out of earshot.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
KC: I was maybe 11 or 12 years old when I heard my first Cottontail Rabbit "scream"!
I was sound asleep one summer, early morning, with my bedroom window open. My bedroom was right over the family garden plot and the "screaming" woke me up - I had NO idea what it was.
I look out my window to see a Cottontail Rabbit flopping and half jumping right below me. And to my amazement I also see a Weasel with a jaw death grip on the Cottontails throat!
This went on for a couple of minutes until I could get my trusty Remington bolt action Model 511 Scoremaster 22 L.R. and whacked the Weasel amidships. The Rabbit did not survive the attack from that Weasel either.
At the shot the rest of my family arose as they had been awakened by the "screams" of that Cottontail. We were all puzzled and stunned at the noise and by the attack by the much smaller Weasel on the Cottontail.
Nature!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had rabbits around the farm when I was a kid, both domestic, cottontails and hybrids of the two. Had a pair of weasels all but wipe them out one time. Heard several bunnies do their death scream. Hard to imagine such a sound coming from such a cute lil fur ball.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

Yellow River also has bears and wolves. Probably cougars as well. I want to camp there but the wife wants running water and flush toilets.

kwg

Some of the best trout fishing in the midwest...

We used to spend a week or so a couple of times each summer there. Maybe every third night we'd go to the Winchester in Waterville to relive toilets and running water, as well as great food...
Wish someone would open that place up....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I ran a trap line back in high school. I would get up early to check the traps in the dark before going to school. Sometimes there would be a rabbit in a leg hold trap that I was using for coon. The screams were enough to just about make a teen age boy piss his pants while trying to dispatch the rabbit with a club and a flashlight in the dark woods.

3825 24336
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many times

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes. As a kid I used to set rabbit boxes and sometime when you pulled them out of the box they’d scream bloody murder.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Some of the best trout fishing in the midwest...

We used to spend a week or so a couple of times each summer there. Maybe every third night we'd go to the Winchester in Waterville to relive toilets and running water, as well as great food...
Wish someone would open that place up....
Harpers Ferry is just down the road as well. ON Saturday night the American legion has bingo. It may not be as much fun as using a real toilet but it's not bad.

kwg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A buddy and I were in my boat once anchored just off the bank while Night fishing for flathead catfish, it was around 2 am in perfect quiet except for the sound of the river trickling bye.

It was a nearly cloudless moon light night, not hot.. just the slightest breeze…

Trees / woods along side of the river which is only 80 yards wide, with train tracks running on top of a bluff on one side of the river…

Just plain peaceful…

THEN - a piercing scream of a rabbit around 50 yards away, a coyote or fox must have pinned it and couldn’t kill it because the heinous sounds of the rabbit slowly being murdered went on for nearly 30 minutes… it felt like hours.

Could have been a big snake ? Which is the only reason I didn’t take the boat over to end the horror movie we got plunged into… WOW - we still remember it pretty vividly.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/14/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting thing about rabbits distress scream...

They scream out of fear, not pain.

I know that for a fact.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s hare raising for sure! 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was a kid, my parents raised Golden Retrievers. We had this one dog that had a real soft mouth. She would catch baby rabbits and bring them into the house and spit them out on the kitchen floor alive. Then you'd have to catch them and take them outside. There was always a lot of squealing going on.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I liberated a farm raised rabbit IVO Baghdad Iraq one hot summer day in 2003. That damned thing squeeled like mad. My ears were ringing afterwards. Since I had to stretch my arm out a good ways to snag it from the rear of it's cage all I could grab was it's ears. Once I pulled it from the cage I used my other hand to grip it by the neck and silenced it. I'm glad I was wearing tough leather gloves used for handling concertina wire. It was kicking and scratching me like mad until it ran out of oxygen. My friends and I cooked it over an open fire. We ate like kings that night. Fresh meat was a delicacy after eating MREs for weeks on end.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.