-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My son is a creative, crafty kid and often uses razor blades, carving tools and utility knives. Can anyone recommend a cut resistant glove that retains a decent amount of feel and dexterity?

Yeah, I know, a few cuts are a rite of passage. Lord knows that I certainly got my share as a kid, but I'd like to avoid ER visits and the possibility of severed tendons, etc.

He's a full-sized teenager of about 5'11", BTW, so we're not talking about child sized gloves.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meat cutter gloves.

Swifty
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Meat cutter gloves.
Thinking the same.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ansell HyFlex CR model 11-500 size 11. I wear them daily. I put edges on steel for a good part of my living, and the coated Kevlar gloves work well. Magid Glove has a lot of options.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bruinruin;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that you folks are having a decent winter for your part of Michigan and those who matter to you are well.

With the understanding my information is nearly a decade old now and the guy on this end of the keyboard has had so many stitches in my left hand I can't begin to count them.

Before diving in, I'll send a tip of the hat for helping your son be creative by making things with his hands. Well done to you both - kudos.

When life still had me involved in managing a cabinet production plant, we got a couple different kinds of gloves made with Dyneema fiber. Some had rubberized palms and fingers and some didn't. As well we had chain mail gloves for one particular task after two very scary major lacerations cleaning scraper blades on a finishing machine.

A short overview would be that Dyneema gave the best dexterity by a long ways, but was far less cut resistant to someone taking a pretty good run at it if that makes sense?

The chain mail is crazy effective but sort of like wearing welding mitts. grin

We would keep a couple pair of different sizes of the Dyneema gloves in our stores because the sizing wasn't consistent - again back then.

Lastly there's different thicknesses of Dyneema gloves too, so some are more cut resistant than others just by function of material thickness.

Hope that was useful to you or someone out there, all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nollij;
Top of the morning to you, I hope the day's looking to be well behaved in your part of Minnesota today.

Thanks for twigging a semi-old guy's memory this morning, it was Ansell gloves we were using for most tasks requiring cut resistant gloves in the cabinet shop.

I want to say the chain mail gloves came from a meat cutting supply house? I have one in my shop but almost never use it.

Thanks again sir, all the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Meat cutter gloves.
Thinking the same.
Thanks, guys. 🙂

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nollij
Ansell HyFlex CR model 11-500 size 11. I wear them daily. I put edges on steel for a good part of my living, and the coated Kevlar gloves work well. Magid Glove has a lot of options.
Thanks. I'll check them out.👍

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good idea's here, gonna check into it.
I think cutting myself while out hunting is going to ruin my day.
I have never cut myself, but I have stabbed myself a few times lol.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bruinruin;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that you folks are having a decent winter for your part of Michigan and those who matter to you are well.

With the understanding my information is nearly a decade old now and the guy on this end of the keyboard has had so many stitches in my left hand I can't begin to count them.

Before diving in, I'll send a tip of the hat for helping your son be creative by making things with his hands. Well done to you both - kudos.

When life still had me involved in managing a cabinet production plant, we got a couple different kinds of gloves made with Dyneema fiber. Some had rubberized palms and fingers and some didn't. As well we had chain mail gloves for one particular task after two very scary major lacerations cleaning scraper blades on a finishing machine.

A short overview would be that Dyneema gave the best dexterity by a long ways, but was far less cut resistant to someone taking a pretty good run at it if that makes sense?

The chain mail is crazy effective but sort of like wearing welding mitts. grin

We would keep a couple pair of different sizes of the Dyneema gloves in our stores because the sizing wasn't consistent - again back then.

Lastly there's different thicknesses of Dyneema gloves too, so some are more cut resistant than others just by function of material thickness.

Hope that was useful to you or someone out there, all the best.

Dwayne
Dwayne,

Thank you for taking the time.

It's a beautiful day here and we're all doing well. I wish I was on the ice, trying to catch some fish, but we're all packed into mommy's vehicle and driving 3 hours downstate to trade it in on a newer model.

With the exception of stature, (I'm 5'5" and he's just about 6') my 16 year old son is the spitting image of teenage me. He has an inventive mind that is capable of visualizing what it is he wants to make, and is good with his hands. I feel guilty that I don't have a nice shop to turn him loose in.

I appreciate the tips/info on different glove materials. He going to be stubborn about wearing them, so getting comfortable protection is going to be key to compliance.

Thanks for your pleasant and helpful input.

Scott

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Morning again my friend, I hope you all are seeing the sun like we've got this morning for a change.

While I'm not a big fan of Amazon, this looks more or less like the one I've got out in the shop.

https://www.amazon.ca/Schwer-Resistant-Glove-Stainless-Butcher-Cutting/dp/B07CTFP

If that's what you're looking for, I'd think that if there's an industrial supply place up there - maybe Century Vallen?? - should be able to get them. They got us our Ansell gloves back in the day.

Maybe a meat cutter would have some idea of a supplier too?

It'd be good to try on the mesh ones because they're not one size fits most and of course they don't stretch.

Good luck with the quest and have a great weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bruinruin;
Good morning again and thanks for the reply.

Well sir, it appears we could look each other in the eye as that's what the tape measure indicates my height is as I'm aging. I used to be a whole 5'6" back in the day you know... laugh

If I may send best wishes on your car quest, it's one of my very least favorite activities/chores to perform for a whole slough of reasons. I'll add that it didn't get any better after managing the Detail Dept of a local GM dealership for almost a year either, but that as they say is another story.

My goodness I do hear you though in trying to get some folks to use safety gear, it can be an uphill battle to say the very least.

Perhaps you can use this old guy as an example for him in that as I've aged AND I'm attempting to tie on ice fishing jig heads, I can only imagine what it'd be like to have any feeling in 3 of the 4 fingers on my left hand. Yah, it was a table saw, yah I knew how to use it properly - instructed it actually - and NO, I wasn't using it properly when I stuck my hand into the blade.

Best of luck with the car quest sir!

Dwayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (007FJ, 44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.