Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the point?

To have a trophy deer to hang on the wall?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Originally Posted by SKane
Well, sounds to me a blind set up on the downwind side of that fence would be a pretty good place to catch the cruising, free-rangin' bucks during the rut. blush

Yes sir one thing we’ve found out is free ranging bucks on our property will cruise than fence line as well I don’t know I just don’t think it should be allowed But it’s all about money I guess Don’t know what the fees are to target practice inside fenced property But I will never do it.....
\
Why shouldn't it be allowed? As long as the land owner isn't breaking any laws, isn't it his/her property to do with as he/she pleases?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not hunting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps they're trying some intensive management, or breeding. Perhaps they want to keep the neighbors or other riffraff out. It’s very difficult to keep private land private in some places, and also local authorities are loath to spend much time enforcing trespass laws.

Some years back I read a piece about how difficult it was to keep people off one’s hunting property. I hunted a friend’s spot a bit some years ago, and the neighbor’s young relative had an apple pile on it, and tried to run me off. Other neighbors thought it was their three-wheeler track. People suck.

As far as the deer are concerned, studies have shown they are quite able to evade hunters in even very small spaces, given ordinary cover. A high fence doesn’t mean the hunting isn’t being done in a sporting manner. Since it’s legal in your state, I think the owner’s conscience should be his guide.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Not hunting
If you ever actually experience large enclosure hunting, you may change your view on that.

I have and don’t agree it’s not hunting. I’m not talking about a breeding pen but thousands of acres.

DF

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by hitman
We have a high fence property that borders our property...... it’s several hundred acres (not sure of the exact size) It has affected our productivity over the last few years But ms made it legal... so we deal with it But damn When you can walk up to the fence and literally pet does and 140-160” class deer through the fence What the hell is the point?????

How has this high fence property affected your properties productivity?
Where abouts are you in MS?

Still waiting to hear the answer.

Also like to hear some details about the Management plan on your side of the fence.

Last edited by hitman; 02/12/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Not hunting
If you ever actually experience large enclosure hunting, you may change your view on that.

I have and don’t agree it’s not hunting. I’m not talking about a breeding pen but thousands of acres.

DF

Correct.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can't paint any of it with too broad a brush. There are huge low fence ranches in Texas where the tameness of the deer would astound you. You can stand 25 yards away from 170 class bucks that just stare at you. I hunted for many years a ranch of 3000 acres that was half surrounded by high fenced ranches of similar size. Twice I observed mature bucks jump INTO the high fence neighbors. It's like a box of chocolates.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
You can't paint any of it with too broad a brush. There are huge low fence ranches in Texas where the tameness of the deer would astound you. You can stand 25 yards away from 170 class bucks that just stare at you. I hunted for many years a ranch of 3000 acres that was half surrounded by high fenced ranches of similar size. Twice I observed mature bucks jump INTO the high fence neighbors. It's like a box of chocolates.
About how tall was that high fence? Ones I’ve seen were too tall for a deer to clear.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most high fence in Texas is 8'6" or more. Rio7

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mike Biggs has some impressive pictures of whitetail deer jumping high fences.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This morning i saw 4 does go under a high fence, it's not unusual to see deer and pigs cross under high fences, I have seen Deer jump a 8'6" high fence when pushed into a corner, a Kudu will hop over a high fence like it's 2' high, most of the people that Bitch about high fence don't have any idea what they are talking about. Rio7

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RIO7
This morning i saw 4 does go under a high fence, it's not unusual to see deer and pigs cross under high fences, I have seen Deer jump a 8'6" high fence when pushed into a corner, a Kudu will hop over a high fence like it's 2' high, most of the people that Bitch about high fence don't have any idea what they are talking about. Rio7
Good info. Thanks.

Agree with your statement that those who put down the high fence concept are not fully informed.

Seems to me some of that angst is no more or no less than envy against those who can afford such. If I can’t afford it, you shouldn’t be allowed to participate. Am I wrong?

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RIO7
Good info. Thanks.

Agree with your statement that those who put down the high fence concept are not fully informed.

Seems to me some of that angst is no more or no less than envy against those who can afford such. If I can’t afford it, you shouldn’t be allowed to participate. Am I wrong?

DF

Nope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a high fence property that borders our property...... it’s several hundred acres (not sure of the exact size) It has affected our productivity over the last few years But ms made it legal... so we deal with it But damn When you can walk up to the fence and literally pet does and 140-160” class deer through the fence What the hell is the point?????

IMHO high fence ain't hunting. Hunting out of box stands over feeders sitting on shooting lanes ain't hunting. I call that stuff harvesting.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
How bout treestands over acorns or big ag fields beans/corn kinda thing? How bout deer drives in other parts of the country or runnin em down with dogs? How bout riding around in the pickup out west or killin em LR from one mountain to another etc etc
Are any of these options huntin or harvestin?
We are our own worst enemy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hunting, harvesting, whatever.

All looks the same at the skinning shed. And at the dinner table.

It's what the hunter prefers, not what someone else thinks he (or she) should be doing or not doing. As long as it's legal, (or you don't get caught...) shocked

See how politically correct I can be, including dudettes with the dudes...?

Ha!

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't care what someone does if it's legal and with modern sensibilities even the legal/illegal distinction doesn't mean to me what it once did. However, there is a difference in hunting high fences, low fences, private property, public land, and wilderness areas. To suggest hunting everywhere is as challenging as the next place or that it is the same at the end of the day is naive and foolish. It seems reasonable that most high fence hunters select the high fence operation due to the increased difficulty and challenge presented by the fences...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I substantially live in the land of high fences I have never hunted within one. That said, I have zero issues with anyone choosing where/how they legally hunt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve hunted a high fence one time for blackbucks a fairly large place 2000 acres or so, I didn’t care for it. I haven’t looked in years but last I heard Boone and Crockett didn’t allow trophies from high fence properties. I guess their thinking being regardless of size it still restricts movement.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 17 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.