Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's been relentlessly cold since early November around here, with good amounts of snow to boot. I'm seeing close to 100 elk come down to the CRP above the farm for the first time since I started there in '99. Turkeys are around daily, vs rarely before. Huns are foraging along the open ditches, and they usually stay higher. I had to lift a doe out of a raceway last week, and my farm manager had to help a doe out of a ditch a few days ago, and salvaged one that got caught in a fence. Elk and deer are hitting unprotected haystacks with a vengeance. And hay is dear, very dear this year. F&G has started to feed the herds on the other side of the Bear river. Which, incidentally is almost completely frozen over, pushing out the wintering swans, geese and ducks.

We desperately need the water, but at this point, I don't expect much of the fawn crop to survive. It's just too rough on the little ones. Just hoping that the adults will make it ok at this point. Warmer weather would help, but we're back to below zero next week, along with some fresh snow. Neighbor just started calving. It's going to be rough for a while, I'm afraid.

Nature is unforgiving, I suppose. Hate to see animals struggle like this.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB4

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Live just off the foothills. Moose and deer in the front lawn. Next 4 weeks are going to be hard

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dutch;
Good evening to you sir, I'm sorry to read of that report but not entirely surprised.

We too are having a long and cold winter. We're at 125% of snow pack and it hit us in early November this year which is at least a month earlier than usual.

As mentioned in another thread, today was the 72nd Annual Sheep Count our gun/fish/wildlife club has done and about the 34th for me and the numbers of everything was way, WAY down.

Hopefully as you say the adults will survive but the fawn, lamb and calf crop will surely take a pounding.

Despite that, I do wish you the best possible week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is a bummer to see this kind of thing from an individual animal point of view, but the extreme cold and high snow years (such as this winter and the '16'-17 winter that supposedly killed 90+% of mule deer fawns in some areas of SW Wyoming) also can kill ticks and other parasites, making those who survive healthier in the long run.

It is kind of a love/hate relationship, with me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good time to do some predator reduction.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good evening to you my friend to the north, I read earlier of your travels and purchases today, I hope the new machine treats you well.

Thanks for that post sir, once again I learned something from you! cool

Ticks can be a real issue with moose for sure, that much I recall.

We had way more Pine Beetle kill when the winters were milder too if I'm not wrong. They don't like early cold snaps much either.

Thanks again and all the best this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have had the easiest winter in many years here in northern Michigan. Barely any snow and it feels like late April instead of mid February. Animals are totally fine.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
its winter. Its supposed to be cold.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Good evening to you my friend to the north, I read earlier of your travels and purchases today, I hope the new machine treats you well.

Thanks for that post sir, once again I learned something from you! cool

Ticks can be a real issue with moose for sure, that much I recall.

We had way more Pine Beetle kill when the winters were milder too if I'm not wrong. They don't like early cold snaps much either.

Thanks again and all the best this week.

Dwayne

Yes sir.....I am going to start really getting into the ptarmigan and good trapping areas now.

Moose for sure have a tick issue and from what I have read/been told, a particular species of disease bearing tick is one of the bigger reasons why they're not doing so well in the lower 48. These kinds of winters do bring some hope to that front, despite all the negatives they also bring. I have not heard that pine beetles may also be knocked back by the prolonged cold, but it wouldn't surprise me if some research has pointed that direction.

You have yourself a great evening.

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It's supposed to, and sometimes colder than average, but the animals don't seem to get much comfort from that, nor do I, really. It's hard to watch deer struggle and get hung up in fences, etc.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's been relentlessly cold since early November around here, with good amounts of snow to boot.
We're just 100 miles west of you and it's abnormally warm. We did have a few days of below 0 but we've also had many nights above freezing. Last week a friend and I went to Fairfield on Hwy 46. There was no snow at all until we got to to the top of the ridge above Fairfield, then was some decent snow on top. It was 31F at the top. 2 miles farther and 200' lower, when we dropped down into Camas prairie, it was down to 5F with some decent snow in the bottom.
We drove around north of Bliss where we normally see a lot of elk wintering but we saw none. A month ago we saw a lot of deer and antelope there but this trip we didn't see any at all. I don't where they are right now.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
NUH UH!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is what fire is for.

From what I see near me is the opposite, a massive forest fire has reinvented the food supply for ungulates, not much for Elk around here at this time, but the Moose and hard hit Mule deer are looking exellent, Mule deer need fire.

Snow at the lower elevations is lower than normal and because that is where they are wintering it looks good thus far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of Idaho is at or above normal snowpack right now. However, we still have 2 months to go and that can change dramatically. Last year we didn't get the late snow and we ended up way short.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.