Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I put a Sig Romeo 5 red dot sight on my new Ruger Takedown 10-22 a few weeks ago. Did a gross sight adjustment with 10 rounds that day and put it away til today.

Today was sunny and temps in the low 50s. Most of the snow around has melted off. The 3 1/2" of rain we got last week helped with that.

Hit the range at about 1:00 this afternoon and quickly stapled up paper at 25 and 50. Began shooting at 25 putting 5 on a 1" blue dot and hitting 1.5 high and about .75 right. adjusted and shot another 5 and was centered horizontally but still almost an inch high. Adjusted again and still a bit high. Another small adjustment and I'm suddenly 1.5" low.
Some of these 25 yard groups are pretty tight, but others are well over an inch.

Fired 5 more at the center bull and got a great group of maybe .75" centered at the top of the 1" X-ring and I was encouraged. Switched to the 50 yard paper and right away I was high and right again, with a group of nearly 2" At this point I put the adjustment tool away and just started shooting. Results were inconsistent, but ok for plinking or shooting at steel. It never just shot all over the place. Groups tended to be together in a particular direction, be they high, low, or whatever. To repeat, I never had a group where shots were just scattered randomly

Right before I left the range I dismounted the red dot and used the sights on the barrel at 25 yards. accuracy was decent and more consistent.
I expect that the receiver mounted sight with a barrel held in place by a spring detent, albeit a robust one is the reason for the inconsistency.

I'll remount the Romeo 5 and it'll be useful for plinking and shots at varmints around the place at night.

Loads I used were the Mini Mag hp, the Remington golden bullet hp, and the CCI 40SV. I do believe that all of the best groups were shot with the CCI 40 SV.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve commented a couple of times here about how my two new Romeo 5s are kinda Leupold-ish about adjusting. Since it’s both of them, I have to conclude it’s a “feature”. No big deal if they prove to be solid once they settle in, but if they wander at random they’re outta here. Time will tell. One is on a CZ 457, the other on a Mini 14. If anything will make that Romeo bounce, the Mini will.

Because of the small, clear dot with multiple brightness levels, I’ve shot some impressive groups with the CZ. Hope these things settle because I really like them otherwise.

What fresh Hell is this?
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the sight. It's that takedown barrel connection between the sight and the muzzle

I'd like to have a way to mount the sight on the barrel but I doubt there's enough barrel there.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have not found the take-downs to shoot poorly at all. I just mounted an Athlon Red Dot on a take-down that was declining and only got to shoot it once to verify the 10-22 had killed another scope. A very old fixed 4x Leupold

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put a polymer stop pin with a steel core in my CSC right off. Figured it would cushion the whack somewhat.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the Sig Romeo 5 underside. There are four screws there at the corners that secure the actual sight to the mount. My son put a new out of box Romeo 5 on an M&P 15-22 and couldn't get it sighted in. Shots would cluster in one spot for 2-3 shots then the next shot or two would be off somewhere else. He was really getting frustrated and stopped shooting to get a bottle of water and I walked over and inspected the rifle. I knew something had to be loose. I have the same combination and it shoots great. The mount was secure and tight to the rifle, but the Romeo 5 wiggled ever so slightly on top of the mount. We pulled the sight off the rifle and tightened the actual red dot four screws onto the mount and then put it back on the rifle and the problem was solved. It has been solid and retained zero since with no issues.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I put a polymer stop pin with a steel core in my CSC right off. Figured it would cushion the whack somewhat.
I do the same on all of mine.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have not found the take-downs to shoot poorly at all. I just mounted an Athlon Red Dot on a take-down that was declining and only got to shoot it once to verify the 10-22 had killed another scope. A very old fixed 4x Leupold

The rifle shoots pretty well with the irons on the barrel. It actually shoots pretty well with the red dot, with the exception that groups change their POI center a bit.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Take a look at the Sig Romeo 5 underside. There are four screws there at the corners that secure the actual sight to the mount. My son put a new out of box Romeo 5 on an M&P 15-22 and couldn't get it sighted in. Shots would cluster in one spot for 2-3 shots then the next shot or two would be off somewhere else. He was really getting frustrated and stopped shooting to get a bottle of water and I walked over and inspected the rifle. I knew something had to be loose. I have the same combination and it shoots great. The mount was secure and tight to the rifle, but the Romeo 5 wiggled ever so slightly on top of the mount. We pulled the sight off the rifle and tightened the actual red dot four screws onto the mount and then put it back on the rifle and the problem was solved. It has been solid and retained zero since with no issues.

First thing I looked at. This came with the tall mount installed and I put it on the low mount. All screws are secured.

I was happy that when i took the sight off to check screws that I didn't have to re-zero it after remounting.

Note that this is a takedown rifle with the detent style barrel mount between the receiver and muzzle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by johnw; 02/15/23.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just mounted a Romeo 5 up today. It'll be a while before I can test it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this 10-22........

I really need one.........yea right

After buying the Ruger PC 9 carbine I'm hooked

Take down is where its at

Looking at this SS model with sights as another bug out gun

Will it shoot ????????

Have much 22LR ammo

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/rug-1022-takedown-22lr-16.12-thrd-ss-blk-fos

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this 10-22.......

Looking at this SS model with sights as another bug out gun

grin Where in the heck are you going to bug out to?? You are already almost off the grid laugh

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As mentioned in another thread, I took the Romeo 5 off the new 10-22 takedown today and put it on my old walnut deluxe 10-22.

Consistent, accurate and decidedly simple. It's good enough that it's gonna stay there for now and I'll see what I can do with it over time.

Edit; I managed a few well centered groups of around 3/4 inch, at 50 yards with an unmodified/unsmithed 10-22, and CCI mini mag HP this afternoon

Last edited by johnw; 02/25/23.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by johnw
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the sight. It's that takedown barrel connection between the sight and the muzzle

I'd like to have a way to mount the sight on the barrel but I doubt there's enough barrel there.

This the correct answer. Had the same issue with mine. I mounted my red dot to the receiver anticipating failure, and sure enough, that's what happened. It would not hold a satisfactory zero. This is a common issue with takedown and interchangeable barrel rifles. Even shotgun slug barrels feature a sight mount on the barrel - not the receiver - for this reason.

I put the magpul stock on with the magpul optic mount (as noted by steveco) and the problem was solved.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine would actually do most of what I want a rimfire rifle to do, despite the slightly wandering zero.

Most of my small game shots are under 40 yards. I'm confident that I could hit a baseball sized target easily to 100 yards.

As mounted now on the rigid barrel 10-22 deluxe it holds zero perfectly, so far...

I won't be Stick and have a shelf full of the things, but I can see ordering a couple more. Put one back on the T.D. for sure. It's just too handy.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
If you switch out the stock for a Magpul X-22 they make a optic mount that attaches to the fore end and free floats the barrel. When I first set it up I ran this Vortex but now have a Romeo 5.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I really like this stock because it has room for goodies.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can see the utility

Would like to handle one so set up and see how it feels in the hands and on the shoulder...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 54 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.