Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Capable cartridge. Sounds like he may be handicapping it potentially with his scope choice.

Why do you say that? There are a lot of good scope choices for that rifle that have 40mm objectives.
1” tube. Limited elevation travel. If you hunt out west, and you have a wonderfully capable cartridge like the 7RM, why not give yourself the ability to shoot it to its potential? 175’s and 180 high BC’s make it such a gem.

Otherwise, why shoot a 7RM? Get a 6.5 creed, .260, 7-08, and save yourself the recoil punishment and powder burn.

The Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 that the OP mentioned is going on the rifle has 90MOA of elevation travel. That is more than enough for a 7Mag. I also have seen no appreciable difference in a hunting scope between 1" and 30mm tubes.

Ok, fair enough, I stand corrected. That’s a decent amount of travel. Still think there are better choices, but I also suppose there are far worse choices too.

I agree with you, SD, in that why deal with more recoil if you aren't going to make the most of a high performance caliber like the 7mm RM. I own a Tikka 7mm and have worked with 2 others. All were well capable of long range hunting right out of the box. The twist rate isn't ideal; however, I never had any trouble running 175's, even close to sea level. More COAL never hurts, especially on 7mm RM, but that's easy enough to rectify with the Tikkas.

As far as rings, I have used rails, Warnes, and Sportsmatch rings on Tikkas. I used Warne's directly to the integral rail for years with great success. They are very robust, but I have moved away from vertically split rings due to their increased propensity to cause tracking errors from uneven clamping pressure on the tube. I've had great luck with SM rings directly to the integral rail; the main issue with them is limited ring spacing and inability to add inclination if it is required for the set up. As Jordan noted, the Area 419 rail is low and well built, and it offers optimal ring spacing for ER and scope tube support, which goes a long way towards getting the most out of your scope.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WMR
I've recently mounted two Burris FF II 3-9x40's on two Tikka T3x's. One in Sportsmatch rings and one in Warne rings. Both attach to the Tikka dovetail and both have the pin to keep the setup from sliding. Neither comes in a low for 1 inch scopes. Both seem solid but the Warne is noticeably lower. The Warnes seem more robust, but lots of guys testify that the SM rings are very durable. Both seem like good setups. I'll probably go Warne next time. I do also like the idea of a rail but only if it also uses the dovetail and has a pin. I think some do. I'm kind of new to Tikkas but I see why folks like them so much.

Pictures for comparison would be cool.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have 3 tikka rifles with sportsmatch scope rings. I have a few more sets of sportsmatch rings for future projects.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poodle_Dad
I have 3 tikka rifles with sportsmatch scope rings. I have a few more sets of sportsmatch rings for future projects.

Those sportsmatch rings look great. They don't make them in low though, do they?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I personally like the DNZ mounts for 1”. Low. They have been fine for me on several tikkas on rough backpack hunts. And they get the scope quite a bit lower than Sportmatch rings. If he’s through a 25oz 30mm might force on it, just go with the Sportmatch.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Those sportsmatch rings look great. They don't make them in low though, do they?

BSA:

The SM TO84's will get a scope about as low as it can be on a Tikka. Because they go directly to the rail, the scope will be mounted lower than with tradition mounts and low rings.

Just a thought on rails on a Tikka: Seems I often read statements to the effect of - no rails for me, no matter the circumstances. I understand the reluctance to place a rail on a open action design, and I usually use Burris XTR or Warne's on those types of actions; however, the Tikka is a closed top design, so a rail doesn't effectuate any increases in loading access difficulty.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My T3 7mm Rem Mag wears modified Talleys.

My brother’s SL T3 7mm Rem Mag wears modified Talleys also.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck

BSA:

The SM TO84's will get a scope about as low as it can be on a Tikka. Because they go directly to the rail, the scope will be mounted lower than with tradition mounts and low rings.

Just a thought on rails on a Tikka: Seems I often read statements to the effect of - no rails for me, no matter the circumstances. I understand the reluctance to place a rail on a open action design, and I usually use Burris XTR or Warne's on those types of actions; however, the Tikka is a closed top design, so a rail doesn't effectuate any increases in loading access difficulty.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Eventually I will try a set of those sm rings. I see why guys say those are a no brainer set up. Many of mine wear 20 moa rails, except for the superlite and lite models I have.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Starbuck

BSA:

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Eventually I will try a set of those sm rings. I see why guys say those are a no brainer set up. Many of mine wear 20 moa rails, except for the superlite and lite models I have.

I've had great luck with the SM rings. I like the integral rail design on the Tikkas, and if I'm mounting a scope for which the ring spacing works well, I usually run them. The newer Tikkas have a slot for a recoil lug in the rear ring, which helps with being able to spread the rings out a bit to get them more distal on the scope tube. When so equiped, I use a roll pin in the rear ring and move the front ring forward until it hits the flare out in the integral rail groove, and I haven't had any trouble, even with hard kickers.

I would like to the the Tikkas with pic slots on the receiver top like the S20.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Where is the best place to get Sportsmatch TO84 Two Piece 30mm Mounts for a Tikka? I have been using mountain tactical 20 moa rails on my tikkas. I really like them. Its a good solid mount. But I would like to try a set of SM rings on a T3x Lite.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
jc, this is the best place I know of. Often times a phone call is better than relying on what the website says about availability. Love the SM's, and OptiLocks for that matter.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scope-mounts/?filters[7]=29#panel-catalog-products-filters

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, the SM T084 are great for a Tikka Lite where weight and bulk matter. For cases where they don't matter, and where cheek weld height is adjustable, the MT or A419 rails with XTR Sig rings are awesome.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yup, the SM T084 are great for a Tikka Lite where weight and bulk matter. For cases where they don't matter, and where cheek weld height is adjustable, the MT or A419 rails with XTR Sig rings are awesome.

Area 419 rail and SWFA low rings offer low scope height, lightweight, optimal ring spacing, and the combination is exceedingly robust. I am in the process of setting up a LH Tikka 6.5 PRC cobble together job with the aforementioned products right now.

The XTR sig rings are fantastic; their only downfall is added scope height. As such, I like to use them with Burris XTR bases, which I've found to be lower than the majority of rails - the lone exception being XTR bases that fit Tikkas, which are thicker than some rails, such as the Area 419. The caliber/scope I have Tikkas in to this point haven't required more inclination than I can get from a rail.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by jc189
Where is the best place to get Sportsmatch TO84 Two Piece 30mm Mounts for a Tikka? I have been using mountain tactical 20 moa rails on my tikkas. I really like them. Its a good solid mount. But I would like to try a set of SM rings on a T3x Lite.

Air guns of Arizona sells them. If they are sold out, you can just get on their back order list. Last time I got on the list it was just a week or 2, no big deal.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Air guns of Arizona are sold out. But I was able to find some on Tactical Scope. They shipped this morning. Fast service.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Can't help with a rail - I started with Talley LW's on mine but now use Sportsmatch. I don't see myself changing...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I always go straight to the integrated rail on my Tikkas and Sako. No extra parts needed.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, Sportsmatch rings are the way to go.....

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's SM 30mm rings on my .223.
Cheek weld is the perfect height and plenty of clearance to run the bolt.
That's a SWFA 3X9 MQ scope on deck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, If I was looking for Rings for my Tikka, that attach to the rail, You guys are sayin the Sportsmatch? From an Airgun store?

I need 1 inch rings, black or matte, medium or lows,,,T048C?

these? And I’d be interested in other options listed here, Could go with the Warne Vertical split, but just not feeling the love with those,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,896
Posts18,479,248
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.