-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a friend that is looking at the Steiner Predator 10x42 LRF. At one time I seem to recall that Steiner used Schot (sp) glass in their optics. Anyone know if this is still the case and if so, does it hold true for the Predator line?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
@ WIFowler
Sorry I missed your thread. Steiner HX 15 x 56

There is no ED glass inside, and the roof prisms material is the newest N-BaK1 (SCHOTT glass) with a higher refractive index than the old BaK4, and its generic BAK4 from the Far East.

Herewith, the optics system in total may show some not balanced undercorrected lateral CA, manifesting itself as a blue fringing on the very bright and very high contrast scenes.

The Steiner HX should offer a higher transmissivity and contrast than their predecessors.

* As for the LRF being considered a hunting binocular, clarity is outstanding. On par with the HX line. The answer is the N-BaK1 (Schott) is used in the HX line. As to the LRX using the same properties as the HX line is uncertain to me. They both use different coatings and some consider the HX line to be a notch above the LRF. However you may view it, German optics are the upper echelon of precision quality. Not any can go wrong with either model. I believe Steiner refers to the 'secret coating' which I'm not versed with.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good question. I was considering a Steiner for one of my rifles so I was curious about the answer. The first clue was a reply to a question a customer had a few years ago:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So based on this reply, this scope was using Schott glass from Bayreuth, Germany and all their lenses come from the same place.

The next clue was found on their Optics Technology page about all of their products:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

From this it appears that 100% of all of their optics are still produced today in the Schott factory. If you do a site-specific Google search (site:www.steiner-optics.com "schott"), there are multiple mentions on various current products about them being made from Schott glass. Another way of putting it is if some of the products specifically mention Schott glass & 100% of the optics are made in-house, then the in-house manufacturer is Schott glass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.