Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone own one of these scopes ? I want to use one for coyotes hunting.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
What kind?? Is ti really that good?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thermion XG50. Prior to that a Super Hogster.
I’m sure there are others here with more experience than me but this XG50 is sweet.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a super hogster and love it. Wish I would’ve bought it years. I shared some thoughts and pictures in this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...18046084/re-good-ar-thermal#Post18046084

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ihookem

Started with Kill Lights,
progressed to ATN Night Vision Scopes ( still use the ATN-4K pro and Sightmark 4K mini)
Flir PST 233 was first Thermal
Bering Optics Super Hogster (use now as a thermal scanner)
Bering Optics Super Yoter (current go to thermal unit)

As with anything worth doing, there is a learning curve.

I'd suggest watching Youtube vids uploaded by product manufacturers and then viewing specs.

One of my favorite youtube channels is "The Late Night Vision Show"

They have now 249 episodes. They are users and know what they are doing.

Here is a review of the "Super Yoter they produced a year or so ago.

Also, you might want to check out their weekly "best of" series that ran in December 22 that featured their choice of thermal units from inexpensive, to best consumer thermal available currently. IIRC it would be episodes 237-243.

A Few things to think about before investing.

Resolution: 384 vs 640, 12 micron vs 17 micron.

Base Magnification: Depending on the ranges you typically shoot, choose the best base mag. It seems most coyote hunters want a 3 to 3.5 base mag. I rarely shoot over 160 yds, but I chose a 3x base mag as each time you increase the magnification level your image degrades. Although the 3x base mag. limits my field of view up close (and is not worth a darn when blood trailing at 10 to 20 yds)

Video/Audio recording/streaming, and APPS.

Palettes & Reticles

Laser Range Finder: The next thermal I invest in will have the built in LRF. Why, because with thermal there is absolutely no depth perception. So unless you have a marker, you don't have a clue whether the critter you shot is at 50 yds or 150 yds.

I've had 4 instances in the last 2 months where a critter was not DRT, that an LRF would have aided in game recovery, simply by knowing the approximate distance to start looking for a blood trail.

Players in the thermal game with which I am familiar......
AGM
ATN (caveat emptor)
Bering Optics
Pulsar
Iray USA

Here are a couple of the better vid's I've uploaded that give an indication(The Super Hogster and Yoter do not have audio)

I typically use either black/hot or white/hot palletes.

Super Hogster........

Super Yoter @ +/- 90 yds.........

Be warned though.......

Hunting w/ thermal suppressed, is a game changer and a spoiler.

The dark comes alive.

"They can run but they can't hide" becomes a reality when you use thermal. I've got good binocs, its amazing what you miss in the pre-dawn and gloaming hours.

Last two nights I"ve nailed two 'dillo's, a skunk, one large sow, and winged two more hoglets on the run that I did not recover.

ya!

GWB

PS: Another link to a good source of info in regards to thermal optics........

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/42/1/optics

Last edited by geedubya; 02/12/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RHutch
Thermion XG50. Prior to that a Super Hogster.
I’m sure there are others here with more experience than me but this XG50 is sweet.

I am toying with the idea of the Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 LRF as it has the 12µm/640×480 thermal imaging sensor, the LRF and now comes in the 3x base mag vs. 2x of the Thermion LRF XP50 Pro.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2023/01/27/pulsar-thermion-2-lrf-xg50-thermal-riflescope/

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Friend and I kill dairy farm rats. Started out with digital NV. Rats detect IR, limiting time window. They cannot detect thermals. Friend has the AGM Adder 35-384. I have the same spec in their Rattler. Adder has higher base mag, but is heavier, larger, so doesn't nicely work as a detached handheld. Sometimes I find rats for him with mine via the larger FOV. But he gets the benefit of same resolution at a higher base magnification.

He tried out a TS25-256 and also the TS25-384 before settling on the Adder 35-384. He also tried an ATN and neither of us liked it at all. I am perfectly happy with my Rattlers.

Couple points. With NV you will not see rats through grass so well, but thermal picks them up better. Which can be a plus or minus, depending on whether obstructions cause a deflection. Doesn't take much to deflect a CCI 710 fps segmented HP. My TS50-640 Rattler "sees" intervening obstructions alot better than the lower price units.

Would have no trouble killing deer, coyotes, pigs, eieio to 200 yds with the 2x Rattler TS35-384. I say this b/c we see deer in fields at distance every night while rat-killing.

My personal preference is toward the more versatile Rattlers, albeit with lower base magnification. There are no hogs in Maine, and coyotes will be probably no more than 200 yds out. Also wanted it for use hand-held on deer stands to detect movement well inside the tree lines. Rattler makes more sense for those purposes vs the Adder.

Strongly suggest you try before committing. Do not underestimate the value of FOV when scanning.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I run a Hogster 25 as a scanner and on my rimfire. I run a Super Hogster for my centerfires. The FOV is great on the 25, and base mag/resolution are better on the super. I’ll step up to 640s again, when I can….but probably at least one clip on for a dual use and not removing the day scope on certain rigs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm using a Pulsar XQ50 LRF pro. Just got it this winter and am happy with it so far.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
You will not regret getting an Agm adder

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Pulsar xg50 here. Played with atn and some others but settled on pulsar

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by oneshotkyle

Oneshot,
Were you able to compare the Pulsar XG50 with the XP50? Anyone else on this thread look through both? I don't believe the XG is a current model anymore, but I might be mistaken.

I'm interested in the difference in FOV and resolution between the two.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anyone have any experience with N-Vision? It's looking like they might now be the top dog, using the same BAE 12 micron 640 x 480 core as Trijicon, but with recording/photo's and the ability to load software updates.

Made in the USA too!

Last edited by gsganzer; 02/17/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gsganzer

Oneshot,
Were you able to compare the Pulsar XG50 with the XP50? Anyone else on this thread look through both? I don't believe the XG is a current model anymore, but I might be mistaken.

Check this comparison out -

I bought one of the closeout XG50’s from EuroOptic after doing a good bit of research. The resolution is excellent in my opinion (and everyone else’s that has looked through it). Is it as good as the newer models? Most likely not but was 2/3 the cost. I’m extremely happy with it overall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had the Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 LRF and Thermion XP50. They've been bullet proof. Just upgraded to the Thermion 2 XP LRF and Thermion 2 XG LRF and hope they follow suit.

We also have a Pulsar scanner with LRF, but the constant ranging in the scope display is a game changer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
wouldn't have a thermal without LRF.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GTC22
We've had the Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 LRF and Thermion XP50. They've been bullet proof. Just upgraded to the Thermion 2 XP LRF and Thermion 2 XG LRF and hope they follow suit.

We also have a Pulsar scanner with LRF, but the constant ranging in the scope display is a game changer.

I was told that Bering Optics should be coming out with an LRF version that will also include audio near late March. I was thinking of acquiring the new XG50 lrf, but probably will wait to see what Bering comes up with.

Originally Posted by TRnCO
wouldn't have a thermal without LRF.

I've had four instances since last November when a LRF would have sure come in handy. My next thermal optic will definitely feature that.

Best,

GWB

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by gsganzer

Oneshot,

I was not able to compare them directly. XG has a 3power base so that’s an advantage for some with distance shooting. XG is an old model but got 2600.00 off msrp so definitely better for the value

Last edited by oneshotkyle; 02/17/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem

Coyotes? There are no coyotes around here....!

Let us know what you decide on. I'll stop by and take peek before I plunk down the "big change", myself. blush

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.