Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a 250 for a while. It runs really good and has a great power to weight ratio but the anti-vibe absolutely sucks. That may not matter to you.

Don’t go over 18” on that saw. In fact I’m not sure you can without some modifications.

At $400 now, I’d look at something else.

You’d probably be just as well served with a 180 or 211 w/ 16” and save some money.

I also have a 170 and a 261cm. I’ll probably sell the 250.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO 20” bar is very manageable

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
John, I've got three Stihl and a Husky. All good saws. In fact I have an extra a Stihl 026 if you want it. I can trade for something or sell outright.
Done fixed it ..close the thread

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by Fireball2
John, I've got three Stihl and a Husky. All good saws. In fact I have an extra a Stihl 026 if you want it. I can trade for something or sell outright.
Done fixed it ..close the thread

It's been so long I forgot it's an 029, not an 026. At any rate, John picked it up this afternoon. Figured why should he buy one when I had one sitting here, he can use it indefinitely. Two new chains and two pulls to start. Boom.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ECHO or DOLMAR..

Last edited by coobie; 02/16/23.
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
I can’t understand water in the fuel bowl if the gas has alcohol in it. 🤷‍♂️

The water sinks to the bottom of the carb's bowl on the mower engines...

if you've never experienced it or had to remove the carb, then disassemble, clean it out, reassemble and then put it back on...

Count your blessings.....

Add some Blue Dot as suggested above... cleans out the carb jets, and absorbs the water. with one backfire.. kinda like a lawn mower fart...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’m still plugging along with my 18 or so year old Poulan Wild Thing. I’m on the second chain and bar. Haven’t replaced anything else….not even a spark plug. I’m not a logger, but just cut up a good sized tree this morning. I don’t require service. If it quits and I can’t easily fix it, I’ll just throw it away and go buy another one. Ethanol free gas is my best recommendation.

problem around here, is to find actual ethanol free gas, that is actually ethanol free...

Recently found out from several sources, in Oregon, "Ethanol free fuel" is still considered so, if it contains 5% ethanol or less...

Our democRats are worse than Tennessee's democRats...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre
I have a husky. Bought when I was younger on a budget. It’s Been good to me. But when in deer or elk camp and we go get fire wood. The stihl is different ball game.
My next saw will be the stihl.

Don't confuse brands with model differences.

Generation, displacement, quality level.
Match them, suddenly the two brands are more similar than different in performance.

Compare a 30 year old consumer saw to a new higher tier saw, and the higher tier
is top dog.

Farmer I used to cut sugar camp wood for had 2 Stihls, a 028 super and an 032.
The Super was a smaller, higher performance saw.
It ate the 032's lunch.
In that case a step up in size was a step back in performance.
Same brand, same generation.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ethanol free gas is about as rare in southern Oregon as dealers that service saws other than Stihl or Husky. Meaning they are all over the place.

https://www.pure-gas.org/maps/OR

Sean
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I run both in my lawn care business and around the farm Sthil is a 250 18 inch bar and Husky is a 435 16 inch bar. In my experience both are good saws and will serve you well. I can say that the husky has a priming button which makes it much easier to start. The stilh does feel just a bit lighter in the hands as well. Good luck with your choice.

CT

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Dre
I have a husky. Bought when I was younger on a budget. It’s Been good to me. But when in deer or elk camp and we go get fire wood. The stihl is different ball game.
My next saw will be the stihl.

Don't confuse brands with model differences.

Generation, displacement, quality level.
Match them, suddenly the two brands are more similar than different in performance.

Compare a 30 year old consumer saw to a new higher tier saw, and the higher tier
is top dog.

Farmer I used to cut sugar camp wood for had 2 Stihls, a 028 super and an 032.
The Super was a smaller, higher performance saw.
It ate the 032's lunch.
In that case a step up in size was a step back in performance.
Same brand, same generation.

Stihl using the AV 034 Super I bought used back in 1988....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SeanD
Ethanol free gas is about as rare in southern Oregon as dealers that service saws other than Stihl or Husky. Meaning they are all over the place.

https://www.pure-gas.org/maps/OR

within a 20 mile radius on your map there is exactly 4 places..
I've used each of them...

I've seen water in the carb bowl, after having run issues within one of two tanks of gas.
The only one I have no issues with in 5 yrs of use, has been the local airfield.

That is a leisurely 5 miles from the house, on a rural road ( no traffic)...
price currently is $6.50 a gallon, but the price is worth the addition of no issues and actually getting real non ethanol fuel.

thanks for posting the map, appreciate it...shows I am lucky being close to good one...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Stihl

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 07/01/23.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.