Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seattle and Vancouver will get it good....

"There is a high risk of near record low temperatures" around the 24th.

[Linked Image from cpc.ncep.noaa.gov]

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB4

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What does that mean?

50s ??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Western oregon and Washington could use a good hard freeze, for long enough to thin out the homeless ....

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cold weather predicted for February.

Let me jump ahead: Hot weather predicted for August.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
40/18

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Western oregon and Washington could use a good hard freeze, for long enough to thin out the homeless ....
No, no,no....Caring bible thumpers to the rescue, 2 hots and a cot...Narcan under every pillow.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know how it compares to the records, but so. central Idaho will be no different than the last few weeks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
-12 below here this morning. Just enough to run off some "Idaho dream seekers".

Record low for Seattle is 0.

If it gets that low for an extended period of time, a huge number of houses will have frozen pipes......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
No, no,no....Caring bible thumpers to the rescue, 2 hots and a cot...Narcan under every pillow.
It does not change our problem and we are spending millions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More global warming.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has been a colder than average winter since mid Oct here in SE Oregon. Little if any snow has melted or sublimated, so the pack is holding up well. Locally, I think we've had no more than 4 days that have broken 32°. Single digits every morning.

Need to charge up the travel trailer lithium battery, but they won't take a charge until temps exceed 32. Don't know exactly what the chemistry is, but they are less than stellar equipment for cold weather camping. Their yield is just fine, but they just won't accept a charge.

Would like to see our ground squirrels materialize too, but that will probably be a while as well.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/16/23.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Has been a colder than average winter since mid Oct here in SE Oregon. Little if any snow has melted or sublimated, so the pack is holding up well. Locally, I think we've had no more than 4 days that have broken 32°. Single digits every morning.

Need to charge up the travel trailer lithium battery, but they won't take a charge until temps exceed 32. Don't know exactly what the chemistry is, but they are less than stellar equipment for cold weather camping. Their yield is just fine, but they just won't accept a charge.

Would like to see our ground squirrels materialize too, but that will probably be a while as well.
Charging a Li battery below freezing permanently damages them somehow. I don't know the chemistry, either. This also applies to your battery tool batteries. Good Li batteries have a built-in battery maintenance system (BMS) that prevents them from charging when it's too cold. They just sit and do nothing until it warms up. I think some brands of tools have the BMS built into the charger instead of the battery but I'm not positive about that.

I took the Li batteries out of our camper and keep them where they won't freeze so I can top them off occasionally. I have another old beater of a camper that I use for hunting. I have acid golf cart batteries in that one so I can use solar panels to charge them during late season hunts.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Minus 17 F here this morning…..nut’n to see here! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/16/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
-4 here, this morning - brother 80 miles north was -25.
Not sure about the long-range forecast, but the meteorologists messed this "2 day event" up.
Been a week, now.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:

Yes, our lithium unit's system supposably supports low temp protection, but I lean toward assuring compliance myself. It's presently uninstalled and by our front door. If I leave it installed there are hardwired systems (CO, smoke, and gas detectors) that will drain the battery in a week or so. Lead acids are drawn down from a full charge in about 72 hours with no other draws.

I just wanted a simple camp trailer, but the powers that be insist that we be protected from all manner of possibilities. Surprised they did not demand a radon unit.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/16/23.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m ready for summer

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Let me jump ahead: Hot weather predicted for August.

That's pretty edgy, going out on a limb like that. I'll keep a light jacket handy here in El Norte Tejas just in case we swing from 114* one day to 55* the next day come next August....

laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Rock Chuck:

Yes, our lithium unit's system supposably supports low temp protection, but I lean toward assuring compliance myself. It's presently uninstalled and by our front door. If I leave it installed there are hardwired systems (CO, smoke, and gas detectors) that will drain the battery in a week or so. Lead acids are drawn down from a full charge in about 72 hours with no other draws.

I just wanted a simple camp trailer, but the powers that be insist that we be protected from all manner of possibilities. Surprised they did not demand a radon unit.
In our camper, I installed a master switch that shuts off everything, all the sensors, except 1 light. It's next to the power box so it's easy access. When that 1 light's off, there's 0 draw on the battery. The switch is between the battery + post and the breaker box with a 20 ga. wire going to that LED light.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Record cold temperatures around these parts??

I ain't skeered. I've got lots of good, thick wool blankets, two down jackets, a wool shirt, and a bottle of Scotch. Let 'er rip! I'm prepared! grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These predictions tend to be far more dire than the actual result. I like the idea of freezing off some homeless to more southern climes, like CA or MEX.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.