Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I recently bought a Remington Model 7 stainless with a HS Precision stock in .308 Win. I’m looking for a scope that is going to give good low light performance, but still be lightweight. I’m putting the upper weight limit at around 13oz. I have several Leupold VX-3’s, 2.5-8 and 3.5-10, that satisfies the weight limit, but fall short in low light conditions. Our legal hunting hours were extended to 1/2 hour before and after sunrise/sunset. Hunting in timber can get challenging.
I’m looking at either a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40, or a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. I’ve heard lots of complaints about the Swarovski not tracking well. This rifle will be sighted in 1 1/2” high at 100 yards and left that way. If I ever took a shot over 250 yards with it it would be an extreme rarity.
These 2 scopes are at the top end of what I’m willing to spend, say $800. If there are others that meet this criteria, let’s hear about them.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Recently mounted a Swarovski 3-9x36 on my Remington Model 7 MS Mannlicher in 257 Roberts. Fits well and meets my hunting needs which are similar to yours. Very satisfied but haven’t actually tested tracking or done any low light comparisons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Accupoint or the Credo 3-9 with illuminated reticle will get it done for you.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not the scope you’re asking about, but I acquired a Z3 3-10X42 and it has tracked and held zero well. ( set and forget)

Was a bit nervous from some reports, but so far so good. It has only been on the rifle this season and it hasn’t been treated well so time will tell.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Swarovski 100%. If low light is your concern, you're better off with a bigger objective. Not only does it allow more light in, the exit pupil is larger allowing more light to your eye. Swarovski has some of the best glass in the optics industry. IMO the best hunting optics that exist. In your budget I'd opt for a Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3. My personal favorite is a 3.5-18x44 Z5. It weighs 15.9oz, but costs almost double the Z3.

I've never had a tracking issue with the Z5's. I have three of them. All have the ballistic turret and routinely get cranked and used. In fact, every range session they get cranked...all the way out to 600 yards.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 02/17/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Swarovski 100%. If low light is your concern, you're better off with a bigger objective. Not only does it allow more light in, the exit pupil is larger allowing more light to your eye. Swarovski has some of the best glass in the optics industry. IMO the best hunting optics that exist. In your budget I'd opt for a Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3. My personal favorite is a 3.5-18x44 Z5. It weighs 15.9oz, but costs almost double the Z3.

I've never had a tracking issue with the Z5's. I have three of them. All have the ballistic turret and routinely get cranked and used. In fact, every range session they get cranked...all the way out to 600 yards.

What's the largest exit pupil that you can get with both the Trijicon and the Swaro? What's the largest exit pupil the human eye can use?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by miguel
I recently bought a Remington Model 7 stainless with a HS Precision stock in .308 Win. I’m looking for a scope that is going to give good low light performance, but still be lightweight. I’m putting the upper weight limit at around 13oz. I have several Leupold VX-3’s, 2.5-8 and 3.5-10, that satisfies the weight limit, but fall short in low light conditions. Our legal hunting hours were extended to 1/2 hour before and after sunrise/sunset. Hunting in timber can get challenging.
I’m looking at either a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40, or a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. I’ve heard lots of complaints about the Swarovski not tracking well. This rifle will be sighted in 1 1/2” high at 100 yards and left that way. If I ever took a shot over 250 yards with it it would be an extreme rarity.
These 2 scopes are at the top end of what I’m willing to spend, say $800. If there are others that meet this criteria, let’s hear about them.

I have one of the Swarovskis you mentioned on a 308 and another on a 30-06. I haven't cranked them up and down a lot, but I've done a fair amount of load testing with them, which has involved rezeroing them several times. They've been easier to zero than the Leupolds that I used for close to 30 years.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What's the largest exit pupil that you can get with both the Trijicon and the Swaro? What's the largest exit pupil the human eye can use?

Are you asking because you don't think I know? Or because you don't know? I'll go with the latter. Let me help you. In low light (the OP's concern), the pupil will be about 6-8mm - depending the person. The OP asked about two optics, "Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40, or a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36," they have exit pupils of 4.4mm and 4mm respectively at full power. So just a little more than half your eye's pupil size. Measuring the exit pupil for a low light situation, at the lowest setting is pointless IMO. At night you typically zoom IN, not out, to get a better view of your game. Low power is used for still hunting in the woods, quick action shots, but I'm sure you already knew all of that with your rhetorical question asking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you asking because you don't think I know? Or because you don't know? I'll go with the latter. Let me help you. In low light (the OP's concern), the pupil will be about 6-8mm - depending the person. The OP asked about two optics, "Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40, or a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36," they have exit pupils of 4.4mm and 4mm respectively at full power. So just a little more than half your eye's pupil size. Measuring the exit pupil for a low light situation, at the lowest setting is pointless IMO. At night you typically zoom IN, not out, to get a better view of your game. Low power is used for still hunting in the woods, quick action shots, but I'm sure you already knew all of that with your rhetorical question asking.

I am asking because I am not sure I completely understand the application of exit pupil numbers in real world conditions. My 3-9x40 Credo with illuminated reticle will take me to last legal shooting time under the canopy on a cloudy afternoon. What would better exit pupil do for me?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trijicon 100%. Built like a tank. 100% opposite of the Swaro.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no experience with the accupoint but I also recently bought the swaro z3 3-10x42 for a rem 700 308. I have been very pleased with it so far. I have the same scope in a habicht on a rem 700 270 which is an awesome scope and the reason I got the z3. I was surprised at how much better the glass was on the z3 considering how some people will tell you they are basically the same scope. Lens coatings also play a factor in low light and I don't know the difference between the accupoint and the z3.

2 Kings 2:23-24
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Accupoint green dot reticle for low light. Awesome.

I highly recommend it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by plumbum

I highly recommend it.

This.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Accupoint or the Credo 3-9 with illuminated reticle will get it done for you.
You must be an expert on everything.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by plumbum

I highly recommend it.

This.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Post any fugking pic resembling hunting, fishing, or shooting.hell, post a pic in hunting attire. LMAO

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Miguel, I own a Trijicon Accupoint in 2.5-10x56 and more than a few Swaro Z3 rifle scopes. Unfortunately my Trijicon has 30mm tube so I cant give you a really good comparison. The 2 scopes you're interested in are totally different. You have on one hand the illuminated reticle of all the Trijicons no batteries but tritium and on the other hand the old school Swaro Z3. Glass IMO is about the same Swaro may have a little better resolution at dark but that is not going to make up for any illumination the tritium provides in heavy timber at dark. The darker it gets the less the illumination is apparent with the tritium lamp.

Swarovski has been making the Z3 line a long time they made AV before that which was the same scope. Basically they've been making that scope since Trijicon started in the business. There's something to be said for the heavy Trijicon reticles. Is the tritium going to last 30 years? I don't know I can tell you its lasted 10 its only guaranteed for 15 on mine.

Illumination can make a big difference if you like it. The Swaro number 4 is pretty sweet its one of my favorites. If I do another illuminated reticle its going to have batteries.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I think I’m leaning towards the Trijicon, based on their reputation for ruggedness and reliability. As to which would be better in low light situations, it seems both have fans, and neither stands well above the other.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SLM
Not the scope you’re asking about, but I acquired a Z3 3-10X42 and it has tracked and held zero well. ( set and forget)

Was a bit nervous from some reports, but so far so good. It has only been on the rifle this season and it hasn’t been treated well so time will tell.

^^^^This^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Synoptic
You must be an expert on everything.

Cabin fever up there in th PNW?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Paul,
You may have missed this in the other thread on machine leaning vs. Maser:
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Many cannot comprehend the principles of a BDC . The Steiner E3 Illuminated Reticle is matched along the same system, only being more accurate. If any are confused with this reticle, they really do not belong on the range nor should they be hunting for anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 24 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,760
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.