Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My first thought when I saw the pic was, "man, that would be a cast bullet shooting MACHINE' and I still think that's where the most potential is. It would make shooting just plain cheap, too. You can tailor the loads for less recoil, too. I no longer cast bullets, but I have a buddy who does, he shoots them in a 1903 Springfield. The same bullets would work dandy in that Remington, too.

I am almost envious, that's a beautiful rifle, for a 788, anyway. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate that. Believe it or not, I was looking at a bullet mold the other day. Where I live now, they have cast bullet only shoots. I may just get into that sort of thing. I've met some of the guys at the local range that shoot that and they have a ball. I've never casted bullets, but I have been researching it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My first thought when I saw the pic was, "man, that would be a cast bullet shooting MACHINE' and I still think that's where the most potential is. It would make shooting just plain cheap, too. You can tailor the loads for less recoil, too. I no longer cast bullets, but I have a buddy who does, he shoots them in a 1903 Springfield. The same bullets would work dandy in that Remington, too.

I am almost envious, that's a beautiful rifle, for a 788, anyway. Congratulations on your purchase.

Indeed. Back in the 80's, the 788 .30-30 was the darling of the Production Class in Cast Bullet Association matches. There seemed to always be one in the top spots.

The .30-30 has always been an ideal cast bullet cartridge - with its nigh perfect case capacity for slinging 170-190 grain cast bullets at factory velocity of 2000+fps, and great for reduced loads all the way down to subsonic mouse fart loads with light bullets. A fact that's been well known to astute rifleman for over a century.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
BSA - if you want to give cast bullets "a shot", let me know and I'll fix you up with some samples.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
BSA - if you want to give cast bullets "a shot", let me know and I'll fix you up with some samples.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate it. I'll send a PM.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty cool rifle, nice grab.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I have a 788 in 223. Just finished giving it Miles Gilbert bedding job and I slicked up the action for smooth bolt operation. Mine still has the factory trigger which sucks. My two options are modify it myself or get a Timney

My vote goes to Timney. That's what I did with my left hand 788 6mm remington and it made a huge difference.

bsa1917hunter;
Good afternoon, me once more.

As mentioned we put a Timney into my wife's carbine and are happy with it in every way possible.

I'd add that the safety action is more crisp and positive than the stock trigger and apparently the bolt stop pin is more robust.

I'd replaced a spring in the original 788 trigger and like most of our rifles it had a shoe, but there was no comparison to the Timney.

Anyways all that to say one more vote for a Timney.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I have a 788 in 223. Just finished giving it Miles Gilbert bedding job and I slicked up the action for smooth bolt operation. Mine still has the factory trigger which sucks. My two options are modify it myself or get a Timney

My vote goes to Timney. That's what I did with my left hand 788 6mm remington and it made a huge difference.

bsa1917hunter;
Good afternoon, me once more.

As mentioned we put a Timney into my wife's carbine and are happy with it in every way possible.

I'd add that the safety action is more crisp and positive than the stock trigger and apparently the bolt stop pin is more robust.

I'd replaced a spring in the original 788 trigger and like most of our rifles it had a shoe, but there was no comparison to the Timney.

Anyways all that to say one more vote for a Timney.

All the best.

Dwayne

I totally agree. Great points on the why's. That is exactly what I experienced when switching to the Timney. When I bought the left hand 788, it appeared that someone had previously worked on the trigger and made it unsafe. After switching to the Timney, it seemed like the safety was more positive feeling and no more trigger going off on its own. Back then, it seemed like everyone suggested the Timney. The reason I went that route with that rifle.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm going to give these Barnes 150s a go in my Savage 340

[Linked Image from grafs.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had one a few years ago that I bought from killertaylor(I think) and it was the craziest accurate rifle I’ve shot. Shooting crap 150 grain green box Remington cor locks, it shot 1/2” groups…consistently. If it was a 20” barrel it would still be with me. It was big long and heavy. I had a 3-9x36 Swarovski on it and sold to a fella as a package. He has called me a couple times to rub my nose in it….it’s just so damn accurate!😂 it was an itch. I scratched it and sent it to its forever home!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love those iron sights! Didn't Federal offer premium/match .30-30 brass years ago, or am I thinking of something else?

I've been after a 788 .30-30 or years, and finally found mine a couple months back...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great score. That’s a cool rifle! Looks like it’ll shoot just fine once you get on with some load work!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I currently have two 30-30s. One is getting a new home in a few days. I've only shot one of them and it is a shooter. I currently have 9 788s and I'm looking at 2 more right now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jason280
I love those iron sights! Didn't Federal offer premium/match .30-30 brass years ago, or am I thinking of something else?

I've been after a 788 .30-30 or years, and finally found mine a couple months back...

Very cool Jason. Thanks for sharing! Have you shot it much? I'm just now getting back from the range. I just loaded 6 cases for each charge weight with some old Hornady 150gr round nosed bullets. I am using 375 Winchester brass, that the original owner threw in with the rifle. He necked that brass down to 30 caliber, or I would have used it in my 375 Winchester!!! Dang. ha ha.. Anyway, half of it was new, never fired, but annealed. The shoulder was not sized down far enough, as it was lacking about .040". I used a 30-30 body die to finish the shoulder set back and then a FL RCBS die to finish it off. Everything measured out right and that brass fit the chamber. In my reading on the subject, it says you need to turn the necks of the 375 Win brass. It seems like the original owner did that, so it was pretty easy to do the final re-sizing. With the 150gr Hornady interlocks round nosed bullets, I lucked out and shot a 5 shot group of about 1 3/8" (have not measured it yet), but the last shot dropped out of the group by a ways. Probably my eyesight or a screw up on my part. Trying to get used to the rifle. The Canjar set trigger is sweet, I just need to remember to push it forward before each shot.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pfundine
I currently have two 30-30s. One is getting a new home in a few days. I've only shot one of them and it is a shooter. I currently have 9 788s and I'm looking at 2 more right now.

That is quite a collection.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great score. That’s a cool rifle! Looks like it’ll shoot just fine once you get on with some load work!

After I got it, and all the brass and components, I have been messing with it. Discarded everything that was way out of spec. Weight sorted the brass, since there was 375 winchester, 32 winchester, and 7-30 Waters brass in the mix. I can't wait until I have brass that is all consistent and I am just using fireformed brass. Precision will be much better, I'm thinking. I think sometimes guys try to make this schidt more complicated than necessary. I was shaking my head on some of this brass. With a bushing (Hornady comparator), it measured .030-.050" shoulder set back. I tossed that crap.. This is what I loaded today. Had some fun at the range:
I need to change out the front insert with a smaller one. I'm running a #6 right now. The smaller ones are in my Target 22lr's. I'll probably end up ordering some new ones for this rifle though..

The weather was much better today. This group was one that made me happy, until I dropped that one out on the last shot. I had 6 of that charge weight to shoot. I was just going to shoot 2 3 shot groups, but this one was going so well that I just kept shooting. The first 3 shots went into .56", 4 less than an inch, and the 5th one opened it up to 1.461" (not 1 3/8" as I previously stated, going by eyeball not caliper):

I was more happy with that rifle today than my new Tikka 22-250 shooting 88 ELDM's.

I like this set up. I just leave the rifles on the bench and shoot them just like you see. Left handed for scoped rifles and right handed for irons.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back in the 70's, I wanted that rifle in that caliber so bad I could taste it. I would go the the little gun shop tell the guy I would be back when I got the money. I worked and saved and a few months later when I had the money, I went back, but she was gone....
I stopped on the way home and bought a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

788's are cool old guns and some of them had decent looking wood on them.
Congrats on your find.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My only 788. A .243 purchased in 1974-75. 1/2” shooter. My brother got a .308 from Dad a couple years earlier. Also accurate. That 30-30 is a cool rifle. Have fun tinkering!

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
788’s will always hold a special place in my heart. Shot my first groundhog back when I was 6 with my dads 222 and thats the only gun dad used for a lot of years. I always wanted to find one in a 30-30 and now I may have to start searching again.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Currently own a 788 in 223. Completely factory stock. Actually took it to the range this week. Shot three 5 shot groups at 100 yds into .625 inches. Replacing the factory trigger and glass bedding would probably improve that to a half inch or better but for my Varmint hunting needs I’m satisfied to leave it as it is.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Back before they were a collectors item I bought one simply to see if it shot as well as other 788s. It did. Killed a number of deer and one elk with it then....for no apparent reason, it quit shooting well. Never could figure it out, so it went down the road.Loved it while it lasted....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 65 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,683
Posts18,534,399
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.