-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There have been a few threads here lately on scammers. A few have said they wait for a check to clear before they send merchandise. Just because the bank says a check "cleared" does not mean it is a good check. All it means is that you can now spend the funds. It does not mean the bank got the funds from the check writer's bank! The bank has to allow access to funds under a schedule set by regulation. Crooks know this. If, after the banks says it cleared, the banks find out that the check was fraudulent, YOU are in the hook, not the bank. This is what endorse means. They do not want your autograph in case you become famous, they want your autograph as evidence that you told them you trusted the check writer and guarantee it is good. Some banks will cover this for you but they are not under any obligation to do so.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best to only send/accept USPS money orders unless you know for sure the buyer/seller is trustworthy. The USPS will take action if their MOs are used in fraud.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Scammers often send fake cashiers checks and everyone thinks they're good. Once it's deposited, I've read that it can take 2 weeks for it to come back to the bank so the scammer is back in Nigeria by the time you know you've been had.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Boomers are always gettin ripped off

lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

lol

That schidt never happens to X'ers or Millennials.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I take uspsmo only. Have sent and received dozens, so far, no problems. Seems they’re hard to counterfeit. I do doubt the usps will be of much assistance, if there were a problem. The feds are pretty much incompetent in all areas, why would they be able or willing to help with a money order.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
There is a verification number that is at the top of the classified section on this site. You can call and check the status of any MO. It works.

Last edited by BangPop; 02/17/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Milwroad
There have been a few threads here lately on scammers. A few have said they wait for a check to clear before they send merchandise. Just because the bank says a check "cleared" does not mean it is a good check. All it means is that you can now spend the funds. It does not mean the bank got the funds from the check writer's bank! The bank has to allow access to funds under a schedule set by regulation. Crooks know this. If, after the banks says it cleared, the banks find out that the check was fraudulent, YOU are in the hook, not the bank. This is what endorse means. They do not want your autograph in case you become famous, they want your autograph as evidence that you told them you trusted the check writer and guarantee it is good. Some banks will cover this for you but they are not under any obligation to do so.
I've been telling this to people here at the Fire for years. That's why I always recommend accepting only USPS Money Orders. That's been my policy.

A check clearing means nothing. It can clear, you send the rifle or handgun, and a week later the bank informs you that the check was fraudulent and they are recouping their losses from your account.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Milwroad
I've been telling this to people here at the Fire for years. That's why I always recommend accepting only USPS Money Orders. That's been my policy.

A check clearing means nothing. It can clear, you send the rifle or handgun, and a week later the bank informs you that the check was fraudulent and they are recouping their losses from your account.
Agreed. I will take a personal check, but I always wait until my bank tells me the money physically transferred. Can take up to 3 weeks at times

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by slumlord

lol

That schidt never happens to X'ers or Millennials.

Only Boomers and Wabigooners sign their life savings over to a voice on the telephone. “My accounting number?? Hold on sugar britches lemme get that for you”

🤣🤣🤣

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dale06
I take uspsmo only. Have sent and received dozens, so far, no problems. Seems they’re hard to counterfeit. I do doubt the usps will be of much assistance, if there were a problem. The feds are pretty much incompetent in all areas, why would they be able or willing to help with a money order.

I take Certified Bank Checks and usually discourage USPS Money Orders as they are counterfeited in large quantities. Yeah, I know you can check them and I do so when, in that rare instance, received.
As to the statement: The USPS will take action if their MOs are used in fraud. HA HA HA. The USPS is like a Prosecutor - they are not touching trivial items and, at their level trivial means big money.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a problem with a USPS Money Order recently, the P.O. was of NO help, told me to take it up with the police.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I had a problem with a USPS Money Order recently, the P.O. was of NO help, told me to take it up with the police.
What kinda problem?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Reminds me of when I was in my carport a few years ago and I noticed a black woman and a toddler walking down the street in my direction. I noticed that each mailbox they came to, the toddler reached up and pulled out the contents, handed them to his mother, who quickly looked through it as they walked, and then placed it all in a satchel.

I watched from where she couldn't see me, and eventually she got to the house directly across from mine (I had already collected my mail), when I made myself noticed looking right at her. After the toddler took the contents out and handed them to her, she noticed I was there looking right at her. She immediately scolded the little boy that he knows better than to do that, but placed it in her satchel anyway, and continued walking, now at a quicker pace, and no longer stopping at each mailbox.

I immediately called the police, thinking they'd send a squad car to look for the two of them walking the neighborhood, and catch her with everyone's mail in her satchel. Instead, they informed me that that was out of their jurisdiction, because it was the content of US Mail boxes, so they gave me the number of the US Postal Service Police. I called them. They took my information, and that was that. I doubt anything at all was ever done.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Reminds me of when I was in my carport a few years ago and I noticed a black woman and a toddler walking down the street in my direction. I noticed that each mailbox they came to, the toddler reached up and pulled out the contents, handed them to his mother, who quickly looked through it as they walked, and then placed it all in a satchel.

I watched from where she couldn't see me, and eventually she got to the house directly across from mine (I had already collected my mail), when I made myself noticed looking right at her. After the toddler took the contents out and handed them to her, she noticed I was there looking right at her. She immediately scolded the little boy that he knows better than to do that, but placed it in her satchel anyway, and continued walking, now at a quicker pace, and no longer stopping at each mailbox.

I immediately called the police, thinking they'd send a squad car to look for the two of them walking the neighborhood, and catch her with everyone's mail in her satchel. Instead, they informed me that that was out of their jurisdiction, because it was the content of US Mail boxes, so they gave me the number of the US Postal Service Police. I called them. They took my information, and that was that. I doubt anything at all was ever done.

You could have sent your dog out to check it out then did a mag dump on them when they weren't looking.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.