Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a radiation syndrome that doesn't even have a name. 45 years later, I'm finding out how fried I am.

Anyway, early this morning was my sixth visit to the local emergency room to have my freaking-out heart zapped back into behaving. I'm hoping to get an "ablation" within a month or so to stop these adventures. Flutter can give me a second stroke, the first almost broke my soul.

I've been there so many times in the last year, they just wave me in. Just for something different, I declined the "sleepy sauce" and elected to take the zap while conscious.

Anyone else tried it before I say how bad it really was?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people I've shocked without sedation we let pass out first. Always emergent, not elective.

I've never seen a no-sedation cardioversion done on purpose. It seems like a bad idea for a whole lot of reasons, not least of which is you pulling out your IV by accident when you react.

But I've only done hundreds, you should probably ask TRH.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, just remembered a VT guy I zapped in the ICU when I was new. He said he's going to kick my ass if he ever sees me outside the hospital. Only half joking. That's when I learned to let them pass out first if it was a "lethal" rhythm.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just had it done and I was out and thankful there wasn't an option.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FIL has a defibrillating pacemaker.
Every so often they remotely fire it to ensure it's working,
he doesn't like that very much!

His Doc told him of patients that have had theirs fire in the middle
of some intense horizontal activities.

Both actors got zapped!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
FIL has a defibrillating pacemaker.
Every so often they remotely fire it to ensure it's working,
he doesn't like that very much!

His Doc told him of patients that have had theirs fire in the middle
of some intense horizontal activities.

Both actors got zapped!
An ICD firing is orders of magnitude less electricity. You get a tiny shock if you're doing chest compressions on someone who's device is firing.

You get knocked on your butt if you're a fellow that's too cool to pay attention to "clear" being said and repeated. ๐Ÿ˜

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had the flutter. Got the ablation in Nov. Sedated. Took longer before I felt right than after the stent, the TAVR or the pacemaker. Wife has had two abortions and we have a friend who has had at least four.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by goalie

LOL

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Papag
Had the flutter. Got the ablation in Nov. Sedated. Took longer before I felt right than after the stent, the TAVR or the pacemaker. Wife has had two abortions and we have a friend who has had at least four.
Auto correct is a hell of a thing.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Auto correct is a hell of a thing.

lol

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

That's a lot of stem cells donated just to make Pelosi look younger lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The people I've shocked without sedation we let pass out first. Always emergent, not elective.

I've never seen a no-sedation cardioversion done on purpose.

Hahaha

You are no match Google and Dr Tinpenny the magnetic mistress

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OK, just remembered a VT guy I zapped in the ICU when I was new. He said he's going to kick my ass if he ever sees me outside the hospital. Only half joking. That's when I learned to let them pass out first if it was a "lethal" rhythm.
Why would you let them pass out?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smarquez

Because it hurts a lot. There's a real risk of injury or losing access when they react to the shock and "flail" about. And there's no "rush" if they're perfusing and not passing out.

I've had patients in "slow" VT for hours that were alert and talking to us.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Because it hurts a lot. There's a real risk of injury or losing access when they react to the shock and "flail" about. And there's no "rush" if they're perfusing and not passing out.

Pretty sure ACLS protocol makes those decisions for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR

If only I was an ACLS and PALS instructor.

We're talking elective cardioversion not code.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR

If only I was an ACLS and PALS instructor.

We're talking elective cardioversion not code.

Sustained VT doesnโ€™t sound too elective. Yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Last edited by WMR; 02/17/23.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the whole ER staff had to watch after I'd signed the waiver refusing sedation. Never mind that one of my friends had filmed a prior event and I didn't levitate, it has been just an impressive jerk.

I braced myself, got in neutral position, made sure my jaw was lined up and mouth closed firmly with no meat in the way. Then came the five second countdown and ZAP.

It is not pleasant. White flash, feels like a football body slam, the kind you get when you're hit with a catch and still in the air. Or hit a tree "just perfect" while skiing. You "almost" drop the ball, but can still hang on, and don't "hurt" when it's over. But the hit? Wow.

But all the previous times, I'd felt no pain aftershock, while the sleep juice lingered for hours afterwards. And, while I'm on my way out, ya only live once. So think of it as a really hard, yet perfect hit. Definitely not for everyone. Not sure what I'll do next time -- and I dang sure don't WANT a next time, ever, but I'm happy to have the experience and be able to describe it to the ER staff.

High fives and fist bumps all around, by the way.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Well, the whole ER staff had to watch after I'd signed the waiver refusing sedation. Never mind that one of my friends had filmed a prior event and I didn't levitate, it has been just an impressive jerk.

I braced myself, got in neutral position, made sure my jaw was lined up and mouth closed firmly with no meat in the way. Then came the five second countdown and ZAP.

It is not pleasant. White flash, feels like a football body slam, the kind you get when you're hit with a catch and still in the air. Or hit a tree "just perfect" while skiing.

But all the previous times, I'd felt no pain aftershock, or while the sleep juice lingered for hours afterwards. And, while I'm on my way out, ya only live once. So think of it as a really hard, yet perfect hit. Definitely not for everyone. Not sure what I'll do next time, but I'm happy to have the experience and be able to describe it to the ER staff.

High fives and fist bumps all around, by the way.

I suspect youโ€™re a legend now in that ER! You should have had someone take video to add to your home movies. ๐Ÿ˜

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,876
Posts18,497,684
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.