Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bought a Honda 1000. Will need to trailer it about two hours each way several times a year.
I’ve never owned a trailer, but have a full size pickup to pull it.
I’m looking to buy a trailer.
Any tips on what to buy or not buy, or any thing to “make sure” or……

NRA Patron

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy an aluminum trailer that your MTV will fit on and pull it behind a vehicle rated for itn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rent or borrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Each axle usually = 5k lbs of hauling.

Check the tires make sure they can be inflated to the size of the sticker.

Check the lights, running lights were on a different fuse on my truck if only those are out.

Check the axles to make sure they aren't rusted out from the bottom (usually not a problem unless it's a boat trailer in salt water).

Make sure it has chains, and the right sized ball.

Then tow it like you stole it...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Let the dumb responds begin. You already spent the money buying it, figure out batting it home. I'm done

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Be sure to buy the cheapest cheap tie downs
that you can find at wally world or harbor freight
to secure the UTV to the trailer.
Also, don't even worry about a safety chain
with shackles for extra JIC protection securing the
UTV in place. Don't worry about the trailer lights or
if the hub bearings are properly lubricated.
Everything should be fine.
Just hook it up and drive as hard as you can go.

I don't have one myself, I'm just relating what I
see the UTV owners in my region doing to transport
their UTV's around deer season along the state's
highways

Good Luck

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by blanket
Let the dumb responds begin. You already spent the money buying it, figure out batting it home. I'm done

Seriously?
Why the hell would I ask the question if I’d bought it.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by blanket

Seriously?
Why the hell would I ask the question if I’d bought it.
LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What ever you look for in a trailer, add about 30% in size, capacity and tire size. You will never regret having a trailer that your UTV sits on with plenty of room to move around and put extra gear on. I’ve never heard anyone say they wished they had a smaller trailer…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I trailer a Polaris Ranger almost every day for work and have a few suggestions after almost 15 years doing it.

A single axle is a lot easier to maneuver around the yard, but does not pull nearly as nice as a tandem axle.

You'll want more room to work around the UTV than less, so get a 12 ft trailer.

I bought a Prolocker years ago for easy off and on and it is worth it's weight in gold. I think they are being made again. $450 is well worth it.

It's worth the investment to buy a better trailer as you will/can recoup upon resale. Big Tex/Lamar etc.

Good luck!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Buy a 16’ tandem trailer. You will use it for all kinds of things. Tandems are a lot safer if you have a blowout. Use chains and ratchet boomers to tie it down. Sorry ass straps come loose on bumpy ass roads. If you buy a 16, you will wish you had an 18. You can haul Jeeps and small vehicles too

Last edited by hanco; 02/18/23.
T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a 2018 Honda Pioneer 500. Weight is around 800 pounds.
I tow it behind a Nissan Frontier on a 5.5 x 10 ft single axle trailer with 15 inch tires.
It gets towed about 1500 miles yearly mostly at interstate speeds
I use the wheel chocks from Cabelas and straps over each tire.
I bought the trailer from Orschlens

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

12' low boy with lift gate. I've added 3000 lb axles w/brake and 7pin controller. I also use axle buddies and carry a high lift jack and most time two spares. Also keep a 2' breakover bar and a couple 13/16" impact sockets and a 2' cheater pipe.

Ratchet straps and adjustable bungees are the best thing since sliced bread.

I probably tow it at least 10,000 miles per year.

As mentioned previously, tandems work

If ya'have a single axle, spin a bearing, you see your tire and wheel going by you @ 70 MPH and you are in BFE, not only are you SOL, but you will most likely set the grass on the side of the road on fire from the heat generated by the spun bearing before it comes loose.

Ask me how I know!

If you have an Expediton/Tahoe/Surburban/Excursion,an 18' to 20' car hauler or lowboy that will work, but probably more than what you'll need.

I drive a Ford Expedition and have no trouble with an 18' low boy.

I try to buy stuff pre-enjoyed at a value.

I snagged the 12' for $650 and put another $500 in axles, two extra rims and tires and a high lift jack

The 18' low boy I got for $2,600 and have upgraded to 10 ply tires, added a welded on bracket and a second rim and spare, a 5,000 lb. receiver mounted winch, a tongue tool box, another high lift jack and a 10 ton bottle jack . So, say $3,500.

Why two jacks. When you are 71 years old, out in the middle of the night 20 miles from the nearest help and it's still 90 degrees F, no cell service, 2000 lbs of corn, plus an ATV on the trailer and you only a few brewski's left........

Anywho,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/18/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
In my experience, steel trailers rust something fierce if used on Minnesota's salted winter roads. So, I bought an aluminum trailer. 20 years later that trailer is still as good as new. Brand is Bear Track, made right in Minnesota!

Bear Track Trailers

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get a High Lift jack. It will pick up my gooseneck trailer with my tractor loaded on it. My 20 volt DeWalt impact will take lug nuts off too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]mechanical keyboard sticky keys

Last edited by hanco; 02/19/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 12 ft aluma trailer 3500 lbs single axle with fold down gate that hauls my Kubota 1100c RTV with no problem.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would not recommend aluminum; if you do, in a few years start looking around it good so you can have cracks and breaks mended. If pulling on highways, nothing under 15” tires. In the event you ever haul something else… bigger is better and actually a better bang for your buck than smaller trailers. 7’ wide would serve you for about anything and less attention needed compared to 8’ when pulling on highways. If tandem, 3.5 axles will work, but can move up, look at the suspension, are trailer brakes required in your state, removable side boards/panels a plus. Don’t loan whatever you buy out to anyone. I did once, and it got stolen when they unhooked it in a secluded place right beside a busy highway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you buy aluminum trailer first thing you should look at is the cross member under the floor. lowes and others sell them but they only use light angle in the floor. box tubing is way better. if you put a heavy load on it they will sag in the middle. also a 7 ft wide trailer is easier to bend a axle than a 6 ft trailer. 14'OR 15" tires are fine,nothing smaller. most single axle trailers are 3500 lb axles. dual axles are mostly 2 of the same axles

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can purchase any trailer you wish for your UTV, as long as it's a 16' Tandem axle! LOL

Seriously, you've received some great advice from some of us that have thousands and thousands of miles towing trailers. Tandems have a safety level that will keep you moving if need be that a single axle doesn't. Also, by the time you put that UTV on there, and then decide to add extra things, 16' is none to big!

I just bought a 16' Tandem for moving to Wyoming and for using to haul my ATV into the Mountains as well......you will be SHOCKED at what they cost if purchasing new! However, all I could find locally at the time was beat up junk, so had to shell out $3,400.00 for a new one.

Good luck!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
... 12' low boy with lift gate. I've added 3000 lb axles w/brake and 7pin controller. I also use axle buddies and carry a high lift jack and most time two spares. Also keep a 2' breakover bar and a couple 13/16" impact sockets and a 2' cheater pipe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] ... GWB

I bought a twin to geedub's single axle trailer in 2005 to haul a z-mower between properties during the summer. It is ready for it's third floor. Still gets used to haul mowers. But also gets used for a bunch of other activities around the farm. Once you start using trailers around the farm, you figure out how many more you need (want). They are just handy.

Last edited by Orion2000; 02/19/23.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.