Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After my bad experience with a counterfeit Trijicon RMR from Amazon I was out running errands yesterday and stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse. They had the exact sight I was after and the price was a little less than most places I found it online for. My 1911 project is now complete. I found a great place to get the milling done called ZR Tactical Salutions. They milled the slide and installed a Trijicon RMR plate and front sight. The price was $150 and get this,,,,a 2 day turn around time! I haven't shot it yet but that will probably happen next week when I take my wife to the shooting range for the first time shocked

Check it out. I'm pretty pleased with the results.
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice!

Gotta love those Sigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good. Purists make fun of those sights, but they let those us who hampered by old eyes shoot like we used to could, maybe better.

Just for grins. I mounted a FF3 on the rib of my 20ga auto a few weeks back and am shooting clays with it. Get a lot of good-natured ribbing about it, but last week I shot as well as anyone, and finally talked one guy into trying it. He broke the first bird he shot at, so I may have made a “sale” or two. Got a lot of questions, and everyone who shouldered it went, ”Oh yeah”, or some such. Gotta try stuff, doncha know.

Waiting on a Holosun for my S&W 5.7, which is factory cut. Lands tomorrow and hopefully it’s a real one.

Good luck with yours.

What fresh Hell is this?
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they do make a difference with aging eyes. I turned 60 this year and can still focus on irons but the dot is definitely faster. Most of the purists don't consider a Sig 1911 a real 1911 anyway crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks good!

I hope you get a ton of enjoyment from it!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used that type of sight on my .45-70, helluva sight for moving game, or at least pig and deer. Very quick to get on target.

That's a nice-looking pistol!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That looks great.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the company that did the milling refinish the slide area where they cut for the RMR? Or did they leave that unfinished and just mount the plate over it? My son had a slide milled and they left the milled area bare. I have to wonder if that area isn't going to rust if exposed to moisture.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Did the company that did the milling refinish the slide area where they cut for the RMR? Or did they leave that unfinished and just mount the plate over it? My son had a slide milled and they left the milled area bare. I have to wonder if that area isn't going to rust if exposed to moisture.

They didn't refinish it but it's stainless with some sort of wonder finish on it. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

If it wasn't stainless, I'd buy a can of gunkote and some masking tape.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
is it distracting to also see the sights at the same time?...bob

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
With irons you focus on the irons and let the target blur. With a reddot you focus on the target and the dot is superimposed. I don't even see my back up irons unless I am looking for them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put a Holosun 507C on my Kimber last year. It was a game changer for me being able to see the sights and target with regular glasses. My eyes just aren't what they were. Allowed me to shoot a doe that was behind and almost directly under my stand this past fall. Just leaned over and laid pistol on my left shoulder, found the dot, centered her up and squeezed it off. Don't think I would have been able to take that shot with irons in those conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1
Yes, they do make a difference with aging eyes. I turned 60 this year and can still focus on irons but the dot is definitely faster. Most of the purists don't consider a Sig 1911 a real 1911 anyway crazy

60? Hah! Just you wait young feller!

Today I finally got the Holosun 507k, as recommended by S&W, mounted on my new 5.7. Neither set of screws that came with the sight fit the 6-32 holes in the factory cutout. I contacted Holosun by the contact form on their site, then called. Got two different answers. The response to the contact request said I should look to the aftermarket, as they don’t make ‘em like that. The guy on the phone sent me an email requesting a pic of the sight and wanted to know where I bought it, and promised to send me free replacement screws. Reminds me of calling my health insurance company😛

Meanwhile, ol’ Pappy toddled off to the hardware store and picked up some SS screws that worked for about a buck. I wanna shoot that thing! Looks good.

[Linked Image]

A bonus is that I can use the irons through the optic, an advantage of it being mounted in a cut I suppose.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
TC1,

Kind of what I want to do, except I'd like to mount a smaller red dot... like the Shield RMSc.

Where did you get the mounting plate?

The plate includes the rear sight correct?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
TC1,

Kind of what I want to do, except I'd like to mount a smaller red dot... like the Shield RMSc.

Where did you get the mounting plate?

The plate includes the rear sight correct?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hey Jerry, I can't remember where I bought the plate. Just goggle "Trijicon 1911 RMR plate" and you'll find one in stock somewhere. They were $189 everywhere that sold them when I looked.

A RMRcc won't fit that plate though. I thought about going with a "mico-dot" too. I found a company that will mill a RMRcc to bolt directly to the 1911 slide but you give up a rear sight when you do that. I asked the guy if there was any work around for it and his reply was he was working on a solution but for right now if I wanted a rear sight the Holosun 507K was my only option and it's not much of a rear sight. Here is his website if you want to check it out: greenticktactical.com The smaller optic looks good on the 1911 slide but you give up a little usability with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TCI....so if you give up the rear sight....why keep the front?....asking for opinions.

what could be done with the front sight...grind it down? or?.....bob

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
TCI....so if you give up the rear sight....why keep the front?....asking for opinions.

Me personally, I'd just leave the sight in place. It just boils down to what you want. If you grind off a fixed sight, it's gone forever.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

Bob,

The Trijicon RMR plate has a rear sight on it. Some of the micro red dots (the Shield RMSc and the Sig Zero-whatever) have a fixed rear sight - of sorts, but it is not adjustable and may or may not be on with your load. Personally I would not have a red dot sight without backup sights.

TC1,

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.