Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When riding in the truck, from say hunting spot to hunting spot, do you have the barrel pointed to the floor, or do you have the butt of the gun on the floor, barrel pointed up?

I have always had the barrel pointed down. I figure, better a hole in floor, or in a foot, than one in the head.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
100% barrel down every time, and I drive hundreds of miles a year this way in Africa every year, year after year. All my barrels are crowned very deep for this reason. I don't even care if it's unloaded in the truck it's pointing down. If the hunter does not want to do this he can unload and case the rifle or put it in the outside window rack in back of the cab.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
C'mom now, watch4 bear..:)

You chummin'...??

When in any vehicle or traveling the rifle is cold.
Action open totally unloaded including magazine.

Cased..as I'm not a road hunter..:)

Usually horizontal..and my driving never has got to two wheels..Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barrel down. Another good reason for electrician's tape on the muzzle...it's not just for snow any more grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I rarely have cause to have a weapon uncased in a vehicle. I open the action and put it back in the case if I ever do.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Cased..as I'm not a road hunter..:)

Probably never hunted pheasants, from field to field either.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree with Jim and Lefty and I DO hunt pheasants.

But, I will say that close inspection of many road hunters in Wyoming and Nebraska last week suggests that the true road hunter goes muzzle down. wink

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Barrel is pointed out the window, finger on the trigger, and the safety off! Never know when you are going to jump something you want to shoot! Unless I am on the highway, then I take my finger off the trigger.

In reality though, barrel down and gun ALWAYS unloaded- nothing in the chamber.

Hemi

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Down!!!

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Down, Even with out one in the chamber, I don't want it sldiing around with the possibility of pointing the muzzle at me or others.
Pheasant or dove hunting,I might get in and out of the truck 20 times in one morning. Usually my old double has the action open to

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When in any vehicle the rifle is cold. Barrel is down. And electrician's tape is on the muzzle...
In this state if you have a loaded firearm in the vehicle on a public road and get stop you will get a ticket for road hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
laying across the backseat

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Locked and loaded, safety on, and with the crown resting on my chest. After all, loaded rifles are perfectly safe, and safeties never fail...........

In reality, I always drive (get carsick if I don't), and I keep my rifle unloaded, in it's case, muzzle down tucked right next to my right leg.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First, always unloaded and action open. If the unit is not cased, the butt rides on the floor with the barrel up. A dinged up recoil pad I can tolerate. A dinged up crown I will not.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rifles have to be unloaded in a rig here. If I'm driveing alone,the rifles but down on the pasanger side. If anyone is with me then the rifle lays on the back seat. I dont like the crown rideing on the floor so I never put it muzzel down in my rig.

Jamie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The barrel is up to not rub the bluing off off it or damage the crown. But should it really matter your rifle is suppose to be unloaded. Mine is and the bolt is open.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 11/21/07.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
100% Down

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the early sixties, I worked as an auto mechanic in Rifle, Co. One day two out of state hunters dragged their old 'flat top' Jeep in for repairs. Their rifles were loaded, pointing down w/safties on but the bolt handle bumped against the saftie on the other gun, then against the trigger. Sure enough, the rifle fired, the bullet going thru the firewall, then hit the spark plugs causing lots of shrapnel to hit the radiator. It looked like it had been shot with a shotgun.

Pretty costly, embarassing happening for those two guys.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Truck?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Cased... Beghind the front seat.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.