Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am having an issue shooting with the pistol's iron sights. Doesn't matter whether I am shooting off hand or resting the lower front of the pistol on a sandbag, all my shots consistently group 4" below the diamond @ 20 yards. Normally I just line up the front dot on the target, let the rear dots fall in a horizontal line with the front and squeeze the trigger. I could see me hitting low offhand if I was anticipating the recoil but shooting off a sandbag would seem to negate that.

I have considered purchasing a lower front sight to raise the POI. Anyone have any suggestion on a good front sight or should I change out both front and rear sights?

Thank you in advance.

Eric

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Id give Dawson precision a call Im sure they can help you out, either that or try a combat sight picture hold it may get you closer to the bullseye, personally I prefer a 6 oclock hold so I would try and get a set of irons that gave that hold!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're using the RDS-height sights I'd say you're doing pretty well. If it were me and I was not planning on using a RDS I would change out both front and rear - I can't deal with the high sights.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Id give Dawson precision a call Im sure they can help you out, either that or try a combat sight picture hold it may get you closer to the bullseye, personally I prefer a 6 oclock hold so I would try and get a set of irons that gave that hold!

I've always used the combat sight picture (I don't know why, just something I've always done)

Originally Posted by JOG
If you're using the RDS-height sights I'd say you're doing pretty well. If it were me and I was not planning on using a RDS I would change out both front and rear - I can't deal with the high sights.

I know the factory high sights are there to co witness a red dot but I'm going stick with irons on this pistol. Yet the tall sights just mess with my mojo. Might as well use the $100 rebate money on a new set of front and rear sights.

IC B2

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a trip back to the S&W mother ship for a diagnosis, prognosis and warranty repair, I shot this pistol one last time. Then it was boxed up with it's 4 accompanying magazines, 4 backstraps, cable lock and instructions and taken to my local LGS and traded with a little $ on my end for a G20 sf. The latter shoots way better than the former.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by LNF150
After a trip back to the S&W mother ship for a diagnosis, prognosis and warranty repair, I shot this pistol one last time. Then it was boxed up with it's 4 accompanying magazines, 4 backstraps, cable lock and instructions and taken to my local LGS and traded with a little $ on my end for a G20 sf. The latter shoots way better than the former.

Has Smith and Wesson turned into the Dodge of the firearms world.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a crap load of issues with the 4" 2.0 SW (10mm), the 4.6" (10mm) had no issues after the first 50 rounds. The 4" model made a trip back to SW, came back better but not solved. My thought was the 4" model was an afterthought, after the 4.6" model, and the slide was too light for the lock timing of the longer, heavier 4.6" model. I added a red-dot with metal mounting plate and all the problems went away. Literally, 2.5 or so ounces solved the problem.

As for your issue with the sights, fixed sights are a joke in the pistol world. The are included because they are cheap to manufacture, not because they are good for the shooter. Out of hundreds of new pistols I've had exactly five that were POA/POI out of the box. And two were G19.5's last week. If you don't like the suppressor height sights, ironically included on a gun that does not include a threaded barrel...or where an option for one exists, change the sights to a quality adjustable set and be done. I know, I know, they were included to cowitnesss in a red-dot, and provided you don't choose a Delta-point pro, they will.

Good luck with the G20. I can't speak for the latest gen 5, but I can for gen 2/3/4. Everyone of them has issues will full power loads. The slide overruns the rounds in the magazine and jams. This is with loads of 200grs. around 1160fps and up. Everyone of them has this issue, stock and/or modified. Seems like it's hit or miss, either your gun has the issue, or it does not. I like Glock, a lot, and routinely carry them, but the G20 never gets to ride in a holster if self defense is a legitimate concern.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 04/26/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What was wrong with it? I got fed up with the G 20 even after a fiber optic front, 3.5 lb connector and hours of dry firing. Poor accuracy and [bleep] trigger. So when Smith offered a $100 rebate, I fell for it. Had to sand down the front sight to get it on target and drift both front and rear. It's more accurate than the Glock but no way near as reliable. Of course I forgot some of the failure to feeds were .40 not 10 mm! my bad. The Glock would shoot aspirins in a pinch or 22. It's actually not as rotten trigger wise as I thought now that I tried to replace it....But it is heavy and clunky.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.