-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never even been out of the southeastern USA.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I've never even been out of the southeastern USA.
Your lucky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
I guess I still do.....

grin

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I "lived'' in South Vietnam for 13 months.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster
I "lived'' in South Vietnam for 13 months.

Same here. Jan '67-Feb '68. 9th Division air-mobile 105 Howitzers.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by hanco
I have not, all my life in Texas, 3 yrs in Dallas, rest in or near Houston

Better question might be who lived over seas on their own dime and not under orders.

Why?

To justify his life choices.

3 1/2 years on Okinowa with a few months TYD to the PI for Cope Thunders and Guam.

Spearfishing 3-5 times a week is not all bad.

Don’t you mean TDY..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Spent a good deal of time with an eye on the horizon. PSA ruined that.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
worked in Northern Russia 95&96 then went to Sakhalin island for 04-06.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OGB

Better question might be who lived over seas on their own dime and not under orders.

Why?

Just a different perspective.

Choosing to move you and yours and live somewhere vs being told to. No offense intended towards servicemen implied or overt.

For example, for all the guys here that were stationed overseas, would you have gone to that same place and lived there if it was for a different career and you had a choice, or would you have chosen a different country?

MAGA
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As a truck driver I lived in NJ, NYC, LA, Chitcago for several years, in one day.
Too many times!😁

Redneck,
Stupid question time.
How often, and for how long, does a sub go into a foreign port?
Or do they mostly just hit American bases?
Not Redneck, but I was a submariner too. It mainly depends on the boat SSN vs SSBN, I was on SSBN’s so mainly American ports. I did go to Gibraltar, Barbatos, Canada and the Bahamas though.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks LBP!

Was curious. With the level of security around them I wondered.

Would Attack Subs go to more ports, or less?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by haverluk
To me, it is a much different and raw experience when you don’t have a base or the USG support to live off and you have to navigate it all by yourself with minimal company support.

Hey, sounds like the Peace Corps 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Germany 3 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Korea while marching in the Legions.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB

Why?

Choosing to move you and yours and live somewhere vs being told to. No offense intended towards servicemen implied or overt.

For example, for all the guys here that were stationed overseas, would you have gone to that same place and lived there if it was for a different career and you had a choice, or would you have chosen a different country?

I see. Then if it had been my choice, Italy and Korea yes.

I will say that being sent other places did open my eyes to areas I wouldn't even think about otherwise.

Most of the "upper stans" are shockingly beautiful and the country folk friendly to a fault. Like many places they are openly curious about you and where you're from and basically demand to feed you.

As to the "raw experience" I agree. I did a lot of that with just one other team mate and we were on our own. The only other Americans in country being embassy staff who wanted little to do with us. Had some great experiences for sure.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Thanks LBP!

Was curious. With the level of security around them I wondered.

Would Attack Subs go to more ports, or less?

Generally two armed topside watches in port. Attack boats definitely get more port calls than boomers.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by haverluk
To me, it is a much different and raw experience when you don’t have a base or the USG support to live off and you have to navigate it all by yourself with minimal company support.

Hey, sounds like the Peace Corps 🙂

It's hard for people to understand the difference, sometimes, between LIVING in a foreign country and VISITING a foreign country.

Living on base in a foreign country makes it very difficult to have anything but a visitor's experience. Going to a foreign country, finding your own place to live, a job, a social circle, a financial life, obtaining all the licenses, permits and authorizations for daily life, learning enough of the language to court a young lady......that creates an entirely different experience.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by OGB

Why?

I see. Then if it had been my choice, Italy and Korea yes.

I will say that being sent other places did open my eyes to areas I wouldn't even think about otherwise.

Most of the "upper stans" are shockingly beautiful and the country folk friendly to a fault. Like many places they are openly curious about you and where you're from and basically demand to feed you.

As to the "raw experience" I agree. I did a lot of that with just one other team mate and we were on our own. The only other Americans in country being embassy staff who wanted little to do with us. Had some great experiences for sure.

My friends that are prior service who were stationed overseas say the same thing. Different animal.

The reason I worded my post the way I did I had a recent conversation on my mind. There is a guy I work with that was getting his balls busted (in a friendly manner) for living his whole life in Cali, born and raised in LA suburb and professional life in San Diego. He’s in his late 50s now, been in MT for 2 years and is an expert in all things Montana lol. He trots out the line “I lived here back in the late 80s”. When I told him no you didn’t, you were stationed at the AF base in Great Falls for a couple years, you didn’t move here he got as bitchy as some of the guys here do. I was differentiating between the 2 is all.

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
Living on base in a foreign country makes it very difficult to have anything but a visitor's experience. Going to a foreign country, finding your own place to live, a job, a social circle, a financial life, obtaining all the licenses, permits and authorizations for daily life, learning enough of the language to court a young lady......that creates an entirely different experience.
While I see where you're coming from, not all experiences are the same. Being married we didn't live on base, had to pay rent and for utilities, pay licensing fees and insurance for a vehicle, did 75% of our shopping in the community, our daughter was born with a health issue that required a few trips to a children's hospital in London so we had some experience with British Healthcare system. About the only time I hit the chowhall was when I was pulling alert duty...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I lived in Egypt for a year after I graduated from high school. I attended the American University in Cairo while I was there. It was quite interesting.

Since then I've traveled a good deal. I've been to about 60 different countries and have visited all the continents except for Antarctica. There are lots of interesting places to see.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 69 invisible), 4,041 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,588
Posts18,532,327
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.