Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Need your guys help.

Looking for a specific article/magazine for a friend in Gray's Sporting Journal. I believe the article would have been published in 1997 or so and it was on Fly Fishing for Tarpon in Florida. I don't have the title of the article, I just know it was around that time. They probably didn't publish too much on Tarpon then so it would possible easy to flip through a few to find it. I am thinking it could be Volume 22 Issue 1 which was published in Feb 1997 as that was a Fly Fishing segment they did, but its just a guess. Issue 2 has someone fishing the flats on it.

I could start buying the magazines off of Ebay but I was hoping one of you guys had a collection of Gray's and could possibly help me with finding it. Not letting the full cat out of the bag as I want to track down the article first.

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No archives online?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a whole collection of Grays . Many unopened. Tried to sell here................

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
yeah, I'm not sure the 24CF is the Grey's core audience?

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gray's is too fanchy schmanchy for me. Elitist dorks. Who cares?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

He's looking for an article on fly fishing for tarpon, you can't find those at the gas station in Booger Hollow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a huge stack but was too involved for several years to get at the reading. Retired now and they go along on our extended camping trips where I go cover to cover. My thoughts are they attract the best writers in the field capable of generating great images with very few words. While many articles are about far off places I'll never see, they do a wonderful job of describing the environment and its people. Far superior to the brief "and there I was" notes drafted for those with short attention spans in most of today's rags. Also, one does not have to wade through 5 pages of adds to get at the next page of text. Even Nat. Geo and Smithsonian articles are now nothing but a 2-minute read. Would like to get published at least once there before I buy the farm, so I should get busy and write something up.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/15/22.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

A few options in life and on here.

One is to try to help someone out who is trying to find an article there buddy was featured in 25+ Years ago. It’s called goodwill. Being nice. Karma for all I care.

Another option. Being a douche because it’s a free country. Thank you for that. Because if you just kept scrolling and didn’t make your “witty” comment, my post would have just disappeared down into the basement. Some people do enjoy reading articles that include more thought than “what is best, the thirdy thirdy or aught six”.

Now while that thirdy thirdy article would probably get more comments than an fly fishing article. Mostly because, you know my thirdy thirdy has killed more deer than your 7mm Ultra Mag. And so maybe someone would have kept it, instead of tossing it out.

What have we as Sportsman lost to give another one crap who is trying to help another sportsman out. The one I am trying to help has probably done more for conservation and protecting different areas for recreation than you probably ever will. Have we stooped so low that we are turning on our own.

Thank you for the bump. I appreciate it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wonder if you might have better luck posting this thread in the "Ask The Gunwriters" forum. Good luck.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never heard of Gary's Sport Journal!

But then I don't read good.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In its prime, Grays published some of the best outdoor writing of the time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

In its prime, Grays published some of the best outdoor writing of the time.
Grays still publishes some good articles, I don’t get the magazine but my brother does and I always enjoy looking through it. Beats the other crap they are putting out these days. I haven’t looked at a gun mag except Grays in the last 2-3 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite gun author when was Ross Seyfried I’ve heard that he writes or at least did for GSJ.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I just looked in my issues, and unfortunately didn't find it. Used to have an entire collection, since I started writing for Gray's soon after it started up, and was even editor for a couple years in the 1990s. But eventually decided I had too much stuff, and sold all the copies except those I edited or had an article in--and I quit as editor in 1996, just shy of your guess for the date.

However, did find this phone # through the Gray's website, supposedly for back issues: 706-823-3526. Good luck!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
R
I can't find my Feb 97, issue 1. I found my 1997, issue 2, but it doesn't have Tarpon fishing in Flordia. I have Feb 98, which has Tarpon fishing in Mexico. I'll keep looking for my Feb 97.

M
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I just looked in my issues, and unfortunately didn't find it. Used to have an entire collection, since I started writing for Gray's soon after it started up, and was even editor for a couple years in the 1990s. But eventually decided I had too much stuff, and sold all the copies except those I edited or had an article in--and I quit as editor in 1996, just shy of your guess for the date.

However, did find this phone # through the Gray's website, supposedly for back issues: 706-823-3526. Good luck!

Mule Deer -
I just ran across your reply here indicating that you were an editor for Gray's for a few years in the 90's. I literally joined this forum to see if you'd be wiling to chat for a few minutes about that. I've been a big fan of the publication for many years and have some questions about your experience there if you're willing to chat with a total stranger. I shot an email to the hotmail address on your profile, but not sure if that's active.

Sierra Bravo -

I realize that this thread is nearly a year old, but if you are still looking for that article let me know. I've got an entire collection of Gray's coming soon and am happy to look for the article in question.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is contact information on Grey's Journal It is owned by Billy Morris, one of the richest men in Georgia and he takes good care of it.

https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/contact-us/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.