Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for opinions or experience in choosing a scope, with very specific criteria.
  • Must be a Leupold product
  • Host rifle is a 6.5x55 Tikka T3x Forest
  • Primarily for whitetail, east of the Mississippi, out to 500 yds.
  • Typical low light, dusk/dawn conditions
  • No budget constraint

My first thought: VX5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot Duplex (illuminated)

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your first thought is a very good one.

I own three and they are working great for me.

One on my Tikka .260, my whitetail rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, you picked a good one. Or the VX-6HD version of the same. That is a 3-18x44. If you like the included alumina caps and electronic leveling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting concept. Why does it have to be a Leupold? When I set out to acquire something, my goal is to get the best I can find within my budget. In scopes, that might be a Leupold I suppose, certainly at one time they were my first choice, but it’s a big wide market out there now, and there are a lot of players.

If you don’t care to explain, that’s fine, just curious. Wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of that rifle since Tikkas are rare critters hereabouts, especially that model.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Interesting concept. Why does it have to be a Leupold? When I set out to acquire something, my goal is to get the best I can find within my budget. In scopes, that might be a Leupold I suppose, certainly at one time they were my first choice, but it’s a big wide market out there now, and there are a lot of players.

If you don’t care to explain, that’s fine, just curious. Wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of that rifle since Tikkas are rare critters hereabouts, especially that model.

Good luck.

But it's got to be a Leupold pappy!! Strict guidelines here.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by wreckster84
My first thought: VX5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot Duplex (illuminated)

I like mine but if I were buying another one tomorrow, I’d probably get the 56mm.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Lost some faith in Leupy newer ones any way bought a vx5 he 3x15x56 wouldn’t hold zero or tract correctly Sent it back Came back with two new erectors....... has been fine since But dang get it right the first time

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What’s wrong with that?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Good luck.

I'll explain it this way: I have an opportunity to buy from a Leupold distributor at an unbeatable price.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment with the current Vortex Diamondback mounted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

What’s wrong with that?

Nothing at all. It's his choice. Like Pappy said though, there are many choices out there. Leupold has more failure rates than anything I've ever seen though. Even the high dollar ones.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, if it just has to be Leupy, seems as though you were done with the OP. Under $1k I would look for a used Bushy LRHSi or LRTSi 3-12X44 myself, distributor price or no.

Nice rifle, by the way. I love Tikkas.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What, and where, are you you going to hunt with this Tikka/Leupy combo, anyway? It might help narrow down some suggestions.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A Meopta Meopro 4.5-14X44, HTR or regular, would stomp that Diamondback all day long, too, at an attractive price and weight. And, I think, keep up with or surpass the VX5 in glass and tracking departments.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
VX-6. Heavier reticle. I have a VX5 2-10 w/ firedot, it's nice, but it would be nicer with a heavier reticle.

Last edited by plumbum; 02/20/23.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
What, and where, are you you going to hunt with this Tikka/Leupy combo, anyway? It might help narrow down some suggestions.

Primarily for whitetail, east of the Mississippi, out to 500 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Primarily for whitetail, east of the Mississippi, out to 500 yds.

Saw that in the OP, hur, hur, hur.

My set and forget Leupy would be a 6X w/Dotz for ~ 500 yds.

Dialing, Bushy Elite 3-12X44 of your fave flave.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nothing at all. It's his choice. Like Pappy said though, there are many choices out there. Leupold has more failure rates than anything I've ever seen though. Even the high dollar ones.

10-4. It’s a strange development with Leupold. They were the quintessential American made scope that was the benchmark for good rifle optics but almost overnight they fell out of favor. I’ve used Leupold for years as well as various other brands. I figured that with certain programs Leupold offers the OP had the opportunity to buy a Leupold for a heavy discount and can’t say I’d blame him.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Good luck.

I'll explain it this way: I have an opportunity to buy from a Leupold distributor at an unbeatable price.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment with the current Vortex Diamondback mounted.

I have 3 Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot Duplex scopes and 1 VX-6HD 3-18X44 Firedot Duplex.
All on tikka T3x's They are very good scopes for the money and make a great combo with the T3x. If you have to have a Luppy your on the right track. Yes, there are better scopes available. But they will cost you more than you can get the Luppy for with your deal. I think the VX5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot Duplex is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to Leupold

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good luck.

Makes sense to me. You’re playing with their money, so to speak. FWIW, the VX-3 and above scopes I’ve had worked fine for me, and had the typical good eyebox and nice view. Since price is not an issue, go long!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The VX-3 is my normal bang/buck shopping range with Leupold, Vortex, and Nikon (no more) the brands I own. I've not had issues with Leupold (Vari-X I, VX-1, VX-3, VX-Freedom) and still believe the American value is there considering the warranty.

I did have a MeoPro 3-9x40 mounted on a beautiful turkish walnut CZ550 (also 6.5x55) but, I decided to let the next person enjoy it since I had the Tikka. Side by side with the T3x/Vortex, the Czech combo was heavy (but dang those Czech's make great gear!).

So even if you're not a Leupold fan, would you turn down an $1100 MSRP scope for 1/2 price? I'm sure some might. Not me.

Last edited by wreckster84; 02/21/23.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 53 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.