Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You'll kick some serious asss with those 140 AB's running 2800fps.

Yep.

The 120 grain Sierra is no slouch on deer either. I don't know how fast they were going out of my buddy's Rem M7, but they were being pushed by 45 grains of Varget so they probably weren't crawling along. grin

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have both in stainless Tikka's. I would probably prefer the 7-08,but the wife claimed it and has killed 2 bucks with 120 Barnes.I shot my buck this year at 155 yards with the 143 ELD-X in the 6.5 and wasn't at all impressed with performance,although accuracy is great.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get both, be a looney

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by MikeS
Isn't the F-Class ten ring 1 moa?

Yes it is.

Easy peasy at 1000 yards, in any wind. Right? grin

Any day of the week and twice on Sunday. LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't the F-Class ten ring 1 moa?

Yes it is.

Easy peasy at 1000 yards, in any wind. Right? grin

Any day of the week and twice on Sunday. LOL

If I do my part.

Me

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Been shooting a 7-08 of some sort since 2001 and also have a 6.5 Creed, as well as several 6.5 Grendel’s. I think you’d be pleased with either round as they’re similar. I’d lean towards the 7-08 just because you already have 7mm components on hand. 120gr Barnes are bad medicine for deerz in my 7-08, wouldn’t hesitate to load up the 140gr Accubonds and hunt bigger game.
What kinda distances do you practice at/what’s your maximum comfortable range shooting at game? Both cartridges are capable of ethically taking game much farther than 95% of hunters can reliably shoot.

peak98

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
B
BooBear Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I can shoot up to 400yds

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I just "assembled" this CM, DIY parts from Defiance/Proof/Mcmillan, my second CM, sold the first one as I didn't like the particular rifle. It's as advertised, easy to shoot, affordable/available ammo and effective on deer sized game. Really likes these Berger 140 Hybrid Target bullets.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nice rifle and target system!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BooBear
I can shoot up to 400yds

If you're up to it so are both cartridges.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Check this one out:

Originally Posted by thehuntingkid
As always you can kill anything with anything as long as shot placement and correct bullet are used. A 30-06 with a ABLR or TTSX or ELDX will be extremely lethal to an elk. You also have to be aware of distance, a 6.5 creedmoor is lethal to an elk… at a certain range. 30-06 isn’t a long range cartridge and never will be, limit your range and it is extremely effective.

OMG...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
7mm-08 is a better cartridge in my book, wider bullet makes up for some of the downfalls in a 6.5… although with current situations ammo availability in 6.5 is better. Might give 6.5 prc a look as it bridges the gap between the 2

"Bridges the gap between the 2". That had me rolling. The 6.5 and 7mm08 are really like 2 peas in a pod. Generally the 6.5 edges out the 7 in precision/accuracy and factory ammo is much easier to find for the 6.5. As well as it is much easier to find components for the 6.5. One reason I'll be shooting one of my creedmoors here in a bit and the 7mm08 sits in the safe. Those that don't get it, may never understand, but that is the simple facts of the matter.. Mathman was trying to steer the OP in the easier direction, but you know what they say about leading a horse to water. By the way, keep those jokes coming. That was a good one about bridging a gap with the PRC..

Speaking of rolling.

A 1 moa target (at any range, in any wind) will be a cake walk for any of my 6.5 cm rifles...

Carry on though...

Every time bsa posts I roll my eyes….

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7mm-08 is a better cartridge in my book, wider bullet makes up for some of the downfalls in a 6.5… although with current situations ammo availability in 6.5 is better. Might give 6.5 prc a look as it bridges the gap between the 2

"Bridges the gap between the 2". That had me rolling. The 6.5 and 7mm08 are really like 2 peas in a pod. Generally the 6.5 edges out the 7 in precision/accuracy and factory ammo is much easier to find for the 6.5. As well as it is much easier to find components for the 6.5. One reason I'll be shooting one of my creedmoors here in a bit and the 7mm08 sits in the safe. Those that don't get it, may never understand, but that is the simple facts of the matter.. Mathman was trying to steer the OP in the easier direction, but you know what they say about leading a horse to water. By the way, keep those jokes coming. That was a good one about bridging a gap with the PRC..

Speaking of rolling.

A 1 moa target (at any range, in any wind) will be a cake walk for any of my 6.5 cm rifles...

Carry on though...

A 1 moa target is cake walk. If you can't hit it, that is on you^^^^ Like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but I can't make you shoot any better.. Either you can or you can't. Sounds like you fall in the latter..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Speaking of rolling.

Carry on though...

Every time bsa posts I roll my eyes….

When you learn, maybe you will understand. I'm sorry you are only mediocre at best. Maybe you should take up golf or something more along your skill set. Knitting???

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
7-08 is a ballistic twin to 308 with the same recoil. On paper it is a LITTLE better than 308, but we're talking about somewhere around 2" less drop at 500 yards and about 35 ft lbs more energy at that range when best loads are fired in each. 308 is about 1/2 the thickness of a dime larger in diameter. I like the 7-08 in theory but could never pick one over the more common 308. But I won't argue with someone who prefers the 7-08. They are REALLY close in performance, but 308 has always been easier, and cheaper to find.

The 6.5 does everything 270 does with recoil closer to 243. It shoots the same bullet weights as 270 about 150-200 fps slower at the muzzle. But the more aerodynamic 6.5 bullets come pretty close to catching up at 300 yards. I can't imagine any animal noticing the difference between 270, 6.5CM or 7-08.

Since I already own 308 and 30-06 going with 6.5CM was my best option. Recoil and ammo availability were also big factors for me. But depending on what you already have 7-08 might be more appealing to you.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
140 AB has you covered from yotes to bulls and yes, I speak from experience.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]screenshot

Find some Big Game and magnum primers then PM me for recipes. 150 ELDX are great also, cheaper and plentiful.

Note the entrance wound. Doesn’t get much better than that.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 1 moa target is cake walk. If you can't hit it, that is on you^^^^ Like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but I can't make you shoot any better.. Either you can or you can't. Sounds like you fall in the latter..

I am assuming you don't realize your club posts the results from your "long range matches"...

Out

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You'll kick some serious asss with those 140 AB's running 2800fps.

Yep.

The 120 grain Sierra is no slouch on deer either. I don't know how fast they were going out of my buddy's Rem M7, but they were being pushed by 45 grains of Varget so they probably weren't crawling along. grin

I killed three whitetails last year with the 120 Sierra GK or ProHunter, not sure which one but they're about one and the same, out of the 6.5 CM running 2900fps. Absolutely deadly, all were DRT. Accuracy is wonderful too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The .308 gives up 200 fps to the 7-08 with low drag bullets of similar BC. It is more like half a foot at 500 yards. The drop doesn't really matter, though. It is the wind that will get you. Seven for the win.

The 6.5 CM and 7-08 are much closer to being ballistic equivalents than the 7-08 and .308.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin’.. It’s amazing he’s not leading PRS and every other discipline.

Freaking tool.

I am assuming you don't realize your club posts the results from your "long range matches"...

Out

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This question has been on my mind, because I want to get my youngest daughter set up for deer/maybe elk. I have a 7-08 Mountain Rifle I would give her, but part of me feels like the 6.5 CM would have a better chance of really getting shot more by her down the road, simply because of easy ammo availability. I reload, but she doesn’t, and her life has her bopping all around the wild areas of the great West, so ammo availability could be key. As others mentioned, Hornady did a great job supporting this one (still waiting for 6mm ARC brass though, haha) and ammo is everywhere and, I hear, generally very good. So I say 6.5 CM if ammo availability matters to the OP.

I’ve killed an antelope and a blacktail buck with a 6.5 140 ELDM from my slightly faster 6.5 GAP 4S, and it worked great, but that’s the extent of my 6.5 killin’.

I’m a big 7-08 fan and have used it to great effect on a bunch of deer from a couple different rifles with several different bullets. As pharm said, 140 Accubond and go huntin’. It might literally be the most perfect deer huntin’ cartridge ever made.

If minimizing recoil is an issue, and especially if shooting a lot at your max range is in the cards, the 6.5 CM with 147’s will be a noticeable notch down in recoil from the 7-08 with 162’s. Not that you need 162’s for 400 yards but if you ever tried them, there’s no going back. smile

7-08 or 6.5 CM is a pretty great problem to have. There’s no wrong choice there.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,879 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,608
Posts18,532,780
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.