Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I believe that I was addressing a very specific thing that you said and trying to confirm what it is that you believe with the context of what you wrote.

As to Christ specifically saying church building and steeple I won’t play that game. That straw man approach is the same that people use to say that there is no trinity.

Christ established the church. He founded it upon the apostles. They were inspired by the Holy Spirit to establish and deal with the church. We have the book of Luke Acts and most of the epistles to establish the fact, not opinion, that Christ, as head of the Church, established the church as a physical representation seen in the local body AND in the representation of all who believe. Neither of those things cancel the other.

If you don’t like church, church people or don’t want to go to church that’s on you. If you insist that God is found in esoteric or existential experience that’s on you. God and the Holy Spirit didn’t tell you that because it is antithetical to scriptural teaching and the clear historical record of the church.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Truly that is some weird chit... esoteric or existential and all that.

Kent

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It’s not weird at all and then it is. It’s Gnosticism which was a heresy that the apostles fought and what you and several others propose as being real Christianity.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by IZH27
It’s not weird at all and then it is. It’s Gnosticism which was a heresy that the apostles fought and what you and several others propose as being real Christianity.

Again you project... I'm shocked...

Kent

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It isn’t projection to understand church history, understand deviations from biblical teaching, hear and understand what someone is saying that they believe and to clearly see where that fits.

To be projection would mean that I hold your view etc. I don’t.

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You projected your view of me being Gnostic.

This exact same thread subject happened in October. At that time you expressed that after trying you couldn't ascend and transcend.

I said no, you can't ascend and transcend, first time I've ever used those words in my life, your words, in a response.

Later you claimed that I said I had ascended and transcended, elw jumped in and asked if I was gnostic.

Eventually you apologized.

My faith of God, Christ and the Holy Spirit is well documented in that thread...

as is all the same players that frequent these threads.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having to
repent,
rinse
& repeat over & over
to see paradise
is saying Christ's blood was not enough.

He died.
It covered ALL sin.
Forward & Backward.
Every bit of it.

Now, some are stuck on the "you have to accept the gift to receive it's promises."
I believe with all my heart that God is aware of that "problem". Also, that he has a plan for his children.
ALL of them.
And when that "plan" comes to the fallen and is completely revealed, those sinners will appreciate Christ's blood more than we do.
Cause we expect it.

Have Dog

Will Travel

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
You projected your view of me being Gnostic.

This exact same thread subject happened in October. At that time you expressed that after trying you couldn't ascend and transcend.

I said no, you can't ascend and transcend, first time I've ever used those words in my life, your words, in a response.

Later you claimed that I said I had ascended and transcended, elw jumped in and asked if I was gnostic.

Eventually you apologized.

My faith of God, Christ and the Holy Spirit is well documented in that thread...

as is all the same players that frequent these threads.

Kent

I don’t think that I apologized. I think that EFW may have. I see no need to apologize for making honest observations during a conversation.

To say that someone who practices gnostic principles is not to say that that person is not a Christian so I’ve not said that nor have I meant to imply it.

That you hold to Gnostic beliefs and practices is fairly obvious. What you are before God I’ll not comment on. That is between you and God.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gnosticism has, unfortunately, filtered it’s way into some Christian churches. Especially those all about self improvement, striving to become healthy, wealthy and wise.

Now it may not be packaged as classic Gnosticism with ascend and transcend but subtle features do slip in.

Buddhism is somewhat Gnostic in nature. There are a number of forms, not always that easy to pick out without deeper analysis.

If the Church focuses on Jesus and Jesus alone, it’s not so likely to slide into error.

It’s when we add to or take away from the Gospel that we become vulnerable to such, become deceived by the enemy.

DF

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Gnostic, I've heard the term but never looked into the meaning, sounded like something to do with Celtic druids or something.

"If the Church focuses on Jesus and Jesus alone, it’s not so likely to slide into error."

Yes, exactly what I've said, I will add the Holy Spirit in that focus also... and as individuals also.

Stick with Christ and listen to the Holy Spirit, you can't go wrong.

Kent

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep[/quote]

Scott F;
Good evening my friend, I trust you and yours are getting livable weather down there and you're all well.

It's good to see you dropping by, perhaps your ears were ringing as I was chatting with my better half coming back down from Kelowna a couple days back and you came up.

The context was when you and I and perhaps others - that part's gone now - decided we'd read the book of James every day for a month. For me there were a bunch of things that stuck with me and I appreciate being part of it.

On the Eastern Orthodox subject, if you want to really go down some deep philosophical discussions, there's a young fellow named Jonathan Pageau who became a believer in the Orthodox Church, who has a YouTube channel.

From our conversations in your truck cab and on our back deck, I'd think you might enjoy some of what he has to say or at least like me have to really think about what he's saying. wink

All the best of our Lord's blessings to you all my friend.

Dwayne[/quote]

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good evening Dwayne. We became Orthodox a little over three years ago. Best move we ever made. This probably won't surprise you but my baptismal name I'd James.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Good evening Dwayne. We became Orthodox a little over three years ago. Best move we ever made. This probably won't surprise you but my baptismal name I'd James.

Same here, but in 2017, after many years in rebellion against how I was brought up.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the mainstream Christian Church in America kicked Jesus to the curb years ago.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wageslave
Having to
repent,
rinse
& repeat over & over
to see paradise
is saying Christ's blood was not enough.

He died.
It covered ALL sin.
Forward & Backward.
Every bit of it.

Now, some are stuck on the "you have to accept the gift to receive it's promises."
I believe with all my heart that God is aware of that "problem". Also, that he has a plan for his children.
ALL of them.
And when that "plan" comes to the fallen and is completely revealed, those sinners will appreciate Christ's blood more than we do.
Cause we expect it.

I enjoyed reading this.

.... like tears in the rain
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the mainstream Christian Church in America kicked Jesus to the curb years ago.

If you don’t mind, which church do you attend? That has not been my experience at all. I’ve mostly been in Baptist, Covenant and now Wesleyan churches. Jesus is pretty much front and center. I can save you a seat.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Here is a true question, not a gottcha question, anyone can answer.

What were the main subject matters in the last 4 sermons you attended in your church?

Not really remembering is a fine answer also.

Or if you'd rather, what subject matters were preached that really resonated with you and how often would you say that happened this last year.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
every sermon covers a selected set of chapters of the Holy Bible, discussed in context of the day, and context of the present, and focuses on Jesus actions and words, disciples actions and the surrounding communities actions and backgrounds... slow long walks through Mathew and our small gatherings of two dozen at most, listen and discuss...

not preaching as much as explaining and contextualizing the word of the new testament's. been that way for several years with our Pastor Bill...

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
For me I find there is a wide difference in what is related to Jesus in the bible and all the rest. There is an intimacy in what he said and the context when he said it... an inclusion you can feel.

The rest of the bible is human history and preaching, ok in itself but the best you can say for the preaching is it's normal common sense... and the worst is some of it can be contradictory.

But the Jesus part, the simpleness yet deepness, the acceptance, the servitude, the caring, brotherhood, patience, welcomeness, selflessness and resurrection... it's so far above all the rest, it's all that really matters.

Meat vs crumbs.

The reason organized church is in decline is it serves a lot of crumbs.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Another issue is Jesus speaks to our spirit, the rest speak to our humanity.

Kent

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 57 invisible), 17,750 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,179
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.