Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking to buy both OWB and IWB holsters for a Sig Sauer 365XL with a red dot sight. I've been looking at both leather and kydex holsters, specifically Craft Holsters (leather) and We the People (kydex). Prior to this, I've always used leather, but am thinking that it might be time to join the 21st century.

So, three questions:

1. Is there a reason to prefer one material over the other?
2. Do you have any experience with either manufacturer, whether positive or negative?
3. If I went kydex, are you aware of any manufacturers that offer a double kydex magazine pouch? The 365XL I'm buying comes with one 15-round and two 12-round magazines.

Thanks.

Rem

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have some of each.

I like leather but for IWB it pulls moisture enough to make the pistol damp in the summer.

I like kydex but it makes a distinctive noise when you draw the pistol. Not always wanted.

There are companies making hybrid holsters that are kydex outer and leather interior, laminated together. I might try one of those someday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IME it simply depends. Bottom line is about whether the gun stays put when you drop your pants or otherwise stress the retention. A leather IWB I bought for my FN 503 failed that simple test recently, so a kydex replacement is on the way. Holsters with adjustable retention need to be checked from time to time.

Something else to check is if you can reholster easily with one hand. That can be nearly as important as a quick draw in some situations.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kydex had many advantages, other than this….and it’s a bit of a reach. If I were a plain clothes police officer or similar with the possibility to very quietly access my handgun….I’d go with leather. Other than that Kydex takes the win! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have both. Love the look and feel of leather, but Kydex has some redeeming values for a holster. Kydex is easier and more consistent to adjust the tension, it's waterproof/sweatproof, and easier to re-holster. It's loud and can be uncomfortable as it doesn't flex. For most of my purposes now, Kydex is my goto. However, revolvers and 1911's HAVE to have leather for me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer leather myself, but I usually pocket carry anyway. IWB kydex feels like I shoved a bundle of plastic rulers down my pants. Not exactly comfortable to me. To each their own.

Romans 5:1
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I prefer Leather especially for an IWB holster. It fits and adjusts to body contour better for me and is more comfortable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kydex all day every day ending in Y

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't have experience with the manufactures listed in the OP, but do have holsters in both materials. I agree with some others on leather for IWB and Kydex for OWB, however all revolver holsters are OWB leather. That said, I find OWB more comfortable and tend to carry autoloaders in Kydex OWB the most.

The first Kydex holster I bought was an OWB from Raven Concealment for an M&P 45 compact and it's probably the most comfortable carry rig I have. More recently, I've been buying the Vedder Light Draw OWB for other pistols but haven't carried them enough to comment.

Last edited by JGray; 02/22/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Specific to your 365XL with red dot, here are Kydex and leather options from Vedder (IWB) and Mitch Rosen (OWB from Sig Store):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have one used pistol I bought at a good price. Reason price was good was the kydex holster it came with made very noticeable marks on the finish of tje gun. I replaced that holster with a leather one.

Also the noise of kydex at the draw is too loud for me

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Fist kydex holsters .... he uses an extremely THIN kydex that is very nice for IWB.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Remington40X: After 30+ years of experiences I quit using leather holsters for any carry application or storage of my pistols and revolvers 25+ years ago now - NEVER going back.
Leather LOOKS good - and thats all!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For OWB I much prefer leather. For IWB, leather is too bulky for my taste. Over the years I’ve tried darn near everything, Kydex and leather, for IWB and had just about given up finding something that wasn’t really uncomfortable or non functional. Tried a Kydex from Muddy River Tactical and didn’t really like it either. But then Muddy River Tactical brought out their Hybrid IWB and I thought, what the heck, give it a try. Wow, the first actually comfortable, non-bulky and lightweight IWB I had ever encountered. Very comfortable and has all the adjustment bells and whistles. I really like it and will probably buy another for a different handgun I sometimes will carry. As usual, YMMV, Oh, and their prices are very reasonable.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have leather, kydex, and hybrid holsters. Pros and cons of all three.

Kydex: Better retention, thinner, more protection, holds shape well. Noisy. Often less comfortable.

Leather: opposite of kydex above.

Hybrids: some advantages and disadvantages of both.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Leather is great as long as you stay away from water and dirt. And for some reason, even clean leather seems to wear away phosphate and blueing.

Water and leather are bad ju-ju for carbon steel. And even Stainless will rust in moist leather.
If you push a dirty gun back into a leather holster, the dirty leather will polish the finish.

And lastly, as someone who lived for 40yrs in the soggy PNW, LEATHER ROTS.

Kydex doesn't have those problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That kydex IWB holster from Black Scorpion Outdoor Gear arrived, and it fits my 503 perfectly. Won't fall out.

$32 on Amazon.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been impressed with this, not using it for a Sig though. I found one on Ebay for about $25

Desantis Slim Tuk

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. That gives me plenty to think about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.