Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use a Storm case. The latches have an extra catch which needs to be depressed when opening. A local gun magazine recently did a torture test on the Pelican case. One of the tests was dropping it from a height similar to the heigth of a cargo hold of an airplane. Some of the latches sprung open.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some? There are 8 latches on mine and two padlockable tabs. I venture a guess that it the impact is great enough to open that case when dropped, the contents will be worthless!

I don't use the pelecan anylonger because of weight, so I'm not baised towards the product. I just feel it's as rugged and well built as a gun case can be. Just too heavy!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by goodnews

John, your mail box is full up.

gdv

Try me now ...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have used them all but the last 20 or 30 times to Africa, and other trips have used the Tuffpak I purchased. I have never found a better case.

It is indestructable and I learned to pack it. I put the guns in with soft cases and then pack stuff around them like boots, jackets and items I need...To check a serial number you simply lift the gun out two feet and then drop it back in..I will never need another gun case.

As to airlines unpacking guns, that is not supposed to be done, only luggage is supposed to be left unlocked or have airline locks..Regulations state you will be issued a red tag, sign it and lock your case and you have the only key..Not to say some places don't abide by that..I have never had my gun case opened, and that is because there is noting in it that could raise suspecion..I have had my luggage and ammo checked on many ocassions.

Another advantage is I can take my guns and soft cases on the charter flight to camp, and leave the Tuff pak in the hotel storage with all the items that I won't need in camp...How many times have I seen hunters show up in Africa with large trunks and loads of luggage, as many as 10 guns and then they need a larger plane, and that costs them some big bucks...Most suffer apoplexy at that point.

Beware of the cases with the steel bar that runs lengthwise and have padlocks, the Airlines will bend that bar everytime and its hell to get it out especially if no sledge hammer is handy....

Last edited by atkinson; 11/22/07.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have only made two trips,and have used two different cases.Both gave excellent service in terms of protecting my firearms.Both were wheeled,which I found very helpful.
I used the SKB two rifle case to go to NW Saskatchewan two years ago.I found it to be both bulkier and heavier than I liked,and somewhat clumsy to deal with.The interior was well thought out,with extra spaces and seperate plastic containers for ammo and cleaning kit.It cost me $185.00.
When I went to Tanzania last summer,I used the Storm iM3300.It is about eight pounds lighter,several inches more compact in all dimensions,distinctly easier to maneuver.
I especially like the fact that you can customize the center foam to your exact specifications.Storm recommends that you cut the foam with an electric carving knife (as for a turkey or roast).It was a snap to do,worked quickly and easily.This case has six heavy duty external latches and four external padlock points.I think I paid $190.00 for it.Of the two,I much prefer the Storm.Both came through looking pretty much brand new,and both provided excellent protection for my rifles.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have the browning travel vault (pelican) it is heavy, but has wheels. Cut the center foam to fit and it works great. I have been to Canada, Argentina, Wyoming, etc for hunts and have had no troubles what so ever. I plan on using it for my Africa trip this June.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ,
Your observations on gun cases are precisely on the mark.
I used the Tuffpak once, on a trip to Mongolia. After having to unpack this setup countless times, and repack, it is gathering dust in my garage, never to be used again.
On your recommendation, I own two ICC cases now. I have been locking them with heavy-duty TSA locks I found on the Internet.
Simpler nowdays is just better, and I don't like to put anything other than the firearms I'm bringing inside with them.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I and three friends have been using the Tuffpak for over 5 years now at least 30 trips and have never been asked or heard of anyone who had to unpack a tuffpak other than to slide out a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never been to RSA then eh? I've seen a dozen in one afternoon! Guess it's a great plan til it happens to you. After my near 20 years of working in RSA and seeing these events unfold countless times, it's not any question as to the difficulty you could have.

I wish you well with the success you have had. However my opinion and the experience I have seen first hand is 100% different. Once you have that case unpacked out of site and everything is jammed back in by somebody who could not care less your opinion will very likely be different.

I have no vested interest in what anyone uses. Just trying to share some long term experience with folks shopping for a new case. In my opinion, the only thing in that case should be the rifles, end of story, anything else is an invitation to open and inspect. Your mileage may vary!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am another Browning/Pelican gun case user. Mine has been to Europe, Africa, & all over NA W/O a problem. Heavy, yes, but sturdy as a tank. I will put up with the extra weight & use for another African hunt in 08.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A good friend of mine used to design computers and computerized equipment while working for Singer/Kierfott(sp)as a contractor for the US Navy.The navy supplied several cases of differing sizes and shapes for transport of the equipment.They were all exactly the same design as my Storm iM3300,except for the specific outside dimentions.I just saw two of them last evening.He was given them when the division he worked for was eliminated.The ones he has would make perfect large pistol cases.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Yes I have been to or through RSA 5 times in the last 6 years, both Joburg and Capetown. 2006 was KLM through Cape Town and have never once been asked to take anything besides my rifles out of the tuffpak. 2007 overnighted in Joburg on his way to hunt with Jeff Rann in Botswana and he did not have a problem with Tuffpak. Maybe next year will be my first to unpack the whole case. I only roll up some sweaters and jackets and stuff them around the rifles so it is not that complicated.

Last edited by landandtimber; 12/20/07.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use the TuffPak too, it replaced my Americase (which also sits in the garage). It was too heavy. The TuffPak goes 17#.

I pack the rifles (usually two) in soft cases with the butts at the top of the case so they can be slid out enough to view the serial numbers. I pack stuff around the rifle cases, and then make it a bundle with three small bungee cords wrapped around the contents. The bundle can then be slid into and out of the case easily.

The TuffPak is good gear.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Utah708 --

Missed this thread earlier.

If you want to use a Tuffpack, you are more than welcome to use mine. If you want to borrow it and try it out on a trek somewhere before you go to RSA, that's fine too. It's just sitting in storage -- you might as well get some good out of it.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
JJHACK - Do you prefer the ICC case where the 2 guns lay flat or the case that they sit side by side upright?

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I've not seen one where they stand upright? I would think that is a huge bugger to handle them standing upright. I would also think you would leave the bolts in if they did this. Several advantages to this design as the case would be more square then flat.

I like the ICC because it has lasted so long and worked so well. I cannot even count the amount of trips it has been on and still going strong.

If I were to buy another case, the pelican would be at the top of the list as well as the ICC. It would be a hard choice. I've seen the Pelican double gun case in Blaze orange, Hmmm now who was it that had that one?? If I could find one like that today I would buy it in a heart beat. There are several advantages to that color for me. I've looked, but over the last year, I've not been able to find one that color.

Got one you wanna part with????

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Well, you could always take one of your ICC cases to your auto body shop and have it sprayed blaze orange and baked on.. My gunsmith works on high end rifles for the traveling hunting set and likes the ICC cases too.. The bolts do remain in the rifles and he says that the stocks are less likely to be damaged... I don't really know but they do look sturdier than the flat cases..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.